-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way I know where there is a 30-30 RT for sale in Michigan right now.

Serial # 432xxx.

Mine is 431xxx

I suspect there are probably many more out there that we don't even know about.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some pretty rough data collected on the RTs and have 28 records and I am sure that I don't have even close to what I have seen or what are even owned by the members here. Lowest 422xxx, highest 437xxx (had a higher one but the forearm was serialed to a lower number within these two points).

Agreed, the forearms were measured and don't match up with the R or the T.

Wasn't the model R cataloged in 1946?

I have also seen Chicopee barrels that were stamped 303 that I am confident were factory built barrels. They offered rebarrels in 303 for many years when in Chicopee Falls. One might recall a gun that came up many times with engraving that looked nearly identical to the "Fox model B" that had a 303 barrel. It was basically an EG that was factory drilled and tapped. I have some pictures if anyone really wants to see it.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Alright, time to argue.

Rory, you sure that's a late 30's ad? That deer is the same one that Savage used on an early 1940's catalog.

That ad shows the 3 point checkering, meaning that particular gun was definitely made in the mid-30s.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If Savage shut down sporting arms production during WW2 how did they build an EG in 303 during 1945, is that gun lettered? Hence the reason I stated some will have a lunchbox special. I haven't really been following dates lately, how many of you guys here have guns lettered in 1943-1945?

JTC letter that have on 424,5xx states that Savage "PRACTICALLY" devoted the entire plant to WW II contracts. It goes on to say "the limited sporting arms production was done as conveniently and as simply as possible."

It later states that this gun shipped against shipping order #80295 which occurred "sometime in late 1944" and does call out the model and caliber; a 300EG.

Has no one ever lettered an RT is this serial range? JTC indicates that the factory records showed the model.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my earlier post measuring the T and RT forends. Doesn't seems likely that these came out of the same parts bin.

Well I had a lot of jobs to do around the house this weekend, so I decided to ignore them and make some measurements on the T and RT forearms from the rifles I've got.

Granted, I've only got one example of each, so this isn't very scientific, but here's what I came up with:

Overall length: T 10.375" RT 10.5"

Width, measured at widest point:

1" from receiver T 1.755" RT 1.781"
2" from receiver T 1.763" RT 1.786"
3" T 1.748" RT 1.786"
4" T 1.690" RT 1.753"
5" T 1.655" RT 1.730"
6" T 1.635" RT 1.725"
7" T 1.605" RT 1.705"
8" T 1.580" RT 1.670"
9" T 1.565" RT 1.655"
10" T 1.495" RT 1.535"

The RT forearm is much flatter on the bottom, and more triangular in its contour compared to the T.

To me, this difference in dimensions between these two parts suggests pretty strongly that the RT is not a "parts gun" or a cobbled together "lunchbox special." It looks to me like the RT forearm is clearly not just a T forearm with a different checkering pattern, but an entirely different part.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an un-used 24" barrel (99EG style) in .303 with the Chicopee address on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Has no one ever lettered an RT is this serial range? JTC indicates that the factory records showed the model.

What model!!!!!!!!

We made the name up!!

All this existing info and paperwork to back up a model that we made a name for.

Am I the only one that gets this?

I quit, gonna go mix some parts up on some of my guns and sell them for twice what they're worth as uncatalogued models. Hmmmm, maybe I'll make a REG or a GT, no no, an RST.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe--

My original question to you was "Which parts bin did the 99RT forend come from?" It was NOT, as you suggest, simply pulled from a pile of T parts; it is different from an R forend or a T forend, and is unique to the RT.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think we made this gun up. The guys here noticed these rifles, gave them a name for the sake of discussion, and have now gathered enough good info on them to make a pretty convincing case to recognize them as a legitimate variation.

Rod

Last edited by Phil99; 02/20/14.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, alright.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys thanks for the exhilarating discussion. I am looking for a .303 but a later model. I really don't want to drill and tap a virgin specimen if at all possible. The RT SOUNDS INTERESTING even if it is a figment of imagination. Anyway I'll just keep looking on the net and see what shows up. Not siding w/anybody here...just trying to be open. powdr

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lovemy99

What model!!!!!!!!

I think Drew was inferring that a factory letter would show what model it actually was, rather than lettering as an RT.

But to the best of my knowledge, there are no records for the 40's. On my 1945 rifle, all he was able to find was a shipping invoice listing the serial number. He knew it was a 99EG in 300 because I told him so.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a large enough run of these unique guns that we need to call them something. They weren't T's, they weren't Rs and they weren't EGs

Somebody came up with the hybrid "RT" and it stuck. You can call them a balony sandwich, the name isn't important. I think the consensus is there were enough of them made the sample was uniform enough and they were different enough that we had to call them something so that we knew what we were referring to in conversations amongst ourselves.

I don't think it as the discovery of some heretofore unknown species. grin

Just another interesting part of the history of the 99

Just my take on the thing.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy

Somebody came up with the hybrid "RT" and it stuck. You can call them a balony sandwich, the name isn't important.

Yet, you've done some measuring and comparing and the forearms are not T forearms, so why would anyone call it an "RT"?

I think what happened is that when they started making the R's and they wanted the new look that this was it and they made very few of them before they slimmed the forearms back down to what the post war R's look like normally. So why not just call them a model R? Bet if they had records that that's what it would letter as.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy

Somebody came up with the hybrid "RT" and it stuck. You can call them a balony sandwich, the name isn't important.

Yet, you've done some measuring and comparing and the forearms are not T forearms, so why would anyone call it an "RT"?

I think what happened is that when they started making the R's and they wanted the new look that this was it and they made very few of them before they slimmed the forearms back down to what the post war R's look like normally. So why not just call them a model R? Bet if they had records that that's what it would letter as.

Can't Give you an ansewer Joe.
But i bought a rifle from a member here years back, with a Hang Tag and had to a couple of the fest
And the Hang Tag actually has a E-G-T or E-R-T don't remember
on it. But it was made in the Early 40's.

As far as Lengths On Wood, All Stocks Were Hand Made?, Hand Fitted etc
So Lengths are going to vary some.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True. It's possible that the very first post war Rs had 22 inch barrels and this fatter flatter forearm. A possibility I had not considered.

For whatever reason they decided they didn't like the configuration and they went to 24" barrels and the what we know as the standard post war R forearm. An interesting theory. Unfortunately the explanation is lost to history and we are left only to speculate.

Still it's hard for me to think of them as Rs cause they really aren't the same gun. I like "RT" better. Just me

Last edited by 99guy; 02/20/14.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a dog in this fight (pun intended), but, mad dog's variation theory may be a good theory. Seems there were other rifles called 1st variation, 2nd variation. A variation change would likely be more subtle than a model change. Cross check trigger vs. grooved trigger.
JTC ever weigh in on this?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, that tag was stamped "T", then over stamped "EG" and stamped a second time "EG". The final inspector hadn't got the memo on what he was looking at either.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powdr you sure started a [bleep] storm this time. Hope you are satisfied with yourself....... laugh

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Argument against a R is the barrel lengths match up with a T more than a 30's R and the slants on the forearm are obviously like a T.

Arguments against a T is that the checkering matches with the postwar R, and the forearm isn't that far off. We've also seen a couple of postwar ads from 46/47 that list the EG and R as the only offerings, though they show a 30's R in the picture.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has been great entertainment for me. Not sure I learned anything though. LMAO

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,043
Posts18,500,820
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.