Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm also sure the gun companies are quite happy to know there are a bunch of high school teachers, insurance adjusters, lawyers, diesel mechanics, computer programmers and ranchers who could do a much better job of predicting what guns the American public will buy than their own people. The next time a marketing guy comes up with an idea like the .225 Winchester and 6.5mm Remington Magnum they can just fire him and place an ad in the Campfire Classifieds. They'll have their pick of 1000 experts.

I like Ruger. They are pretty good about keeping the looneys happy, especially in comparison to some other companies.

But I don't see how a poll of what shooters want would hurt. Put a poll of several potential choices up on their website and see what happens. Instead they listen to an executive who decided a muzzle brake is necessary for shooting icebergs.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As a southpaw I can't bash Ruger one little bit. They've given us the LH Hawkeye in more calibers than just about all the other gun makers combined except Savage. .204, .223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270., 7mm-08, 7mm RM, .308, .30-06, .300 WM, their RCMs plus the .375 Ruger.

And while they quit cataloging them, they've continued to make short runs of LH stainless rifles in .270, .30-06, .308, .223 and .300 WM.

In the meantime Remington dropped their short action LH rifles and Winchester and Kimber refuse to make them at all.

Knowing full well that LH rifles are a small niche and even a lot of southpaws buy right hand rifles (*$%@ traitors!!!) I've sent the Ruger CEO a couple of emails thanking him for keeping us in their thoughts, prayers and production schedule. wink

I can't stand left handed people, but I agree. Ruger does a good job of spreading the wealth. My brother was born backward also, and has remained a Ruger guy for just that reason.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll mirror what JB said, but will use Browning as my example. For darnnear 20 years I suggested, asked, and begged Browning to chamber the 250 Savage in their wonderful Micro Hunter rifle. They already make it in .243, so there'd be no physical impairments to making it in .250 Savage. And it would make a simply delightful deer rifle for the smaller-statured (or geezers like me.) Nope.

They claimed there'd be no demand. I countered with the sales record of Savage's limited-production runs of that chambering - all of which flew off the shelves. "That's was probably the whole market," said the Browning whizkids.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Ruger has always done this type of thing. Numerous products have been announced and never see the light of day...

You must remember the ads for the XGI.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Marketing people who are out of touch with the reality of what the consumer wants is not a trait inherent to gun companies. Just look at pickup manufacturers....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Marketing people who are out of touch with the reality of what the consumer wants is not a trait inherent to gun companies. Just look at pickup manufacturers....

Amen to that one!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

One potential problem with a public poll on new products is a few people over-loading it to what they want.

One thing I failed to mention in my earlier post is the reason many firearms companies have introduced new products few people wanted was that for years the engineering, production and marketing branches were totally separated. As a result, some stuff was designed by engineers who didn't consult production about how it might be mass-produced. A good example is the short-lived Speer Deep-Shok bullet, which was intended as a very affordable semi-premium bullet. It was a simple design (essentially what the Core-Lokt supposedly is, but isn't: a cup-and-core with the jacket thicker around the middle), but they couldn't figure out how to make it cheaply.

Often marketing departments were suddenly presented with products they couldn't sell, because what an engineer thinks is nifty might not meet any public demand. Examples of this are almost endless.

Ruger started to integrate those three facets of firearms manufacturing not long ago, one reason they're selling a lot guns and are highly profitable--despite all the whining from individuals that Ruger won't make exactly the custom rifle the want for $650.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by deflave
As a southpaw I can't bash Ruger one little bit. They've given us the LH Hawkeye in more calibers than just about all the other gun makers combined except Savage. .204, .223, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270., 7mm-08, 7mm RM, .308, .30-06, .300 WM, their RCMs plus the .375 Ruger.

And while they quit cataloging them, they've continued to make short runs of LH stainless rifles in .270, .30-06, .308, .223 and .300 WM.

In the meantime Remington dropped their short action LH rifles and Winchester and Kimber refuse to make them at all.

Knowing full well that LH rifles are a small niche and even a lot of southpaws buy right hand rifles (*$%@ traitors!!!) I've sent the Ruger CEO a couple of emails thanking him for keeping us in their thoughts, prayers and production schedule. wink

I can't stand left handed people, but I agree. Ruger does a good job of spreading the wealth. My brother was born backward also, and has remained a Ruger guy for just that reason.

Travis

My FIL, who is left handed but shoots right handed, says that everyone is born left handed and they only change if they sin. To that I say, "What about Bill Clinton"?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Does anyone else see the irony in a group of self-described "Loonies" taking manufacturers to task for being illogical?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's more to predicting what people will buy than taking a poll. Polling will get you an answer as to what people want, but not what people will actually pay for.

Polling gave us the Edsel. Big, powerful, expensive - and introduced during a recession.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, ask Remington.

Public: I wanna .35 Whelen! I wanna .35 Whelen! I wanna .35 Whelen!!!

Remington: Okay, here ya go. Bolt rifle and a pump rifle.

Public: (sound of crickets chirping)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exactly.

Ruger is a business. When Bill ran the company he often made guesses based on his gut feelings as a shooting loony, and was right more often than he was wrong. But he was wrong sometimes, and since he passed away it's become a much larger and more profitable company.

This thread is beginning to remind me a lot of the stories I hear from EVERY manufacturer of firearms, ammo, reloading equipment, components, etc. They're constantly told by individuals that they should chamber X cartridge, make Y bullet or Z ammo. Most just nod politely and say, "We'll take it under consideration."

But I do know a few individuals who, in such venues as the SHOT Show, reply, "And how many customers can you guarantee will buy it?"

The usual reply is, "Me and my brother-in-law, for sure."

Whereupon the company guy says, "Go find another 10,000 brothers-in-law and we'll talk." Depending on the day, the reply may not be that polite.

Companies that mass-produce rifles, ammo, bullets, etc. by their very definition aren't much into making custom rifles, ammo, bullets. etc. They're not going to tool up to produce a few dozen rifles that the guy and his brother-in-law could "produce" themselves if they were willing to pay $500 for a rebarrel job.

Well, I happen to own one of 45 Stainless Steel T/C Ventures chambered for 6.5x284 made for a gun distributor. T/C also made 25 of the same gun in Blued steel.

Ruger makes limited run guns all the time for distributors like Davidsons, so it makes me wonder why any gun maker does what they do.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hogeye
There's more to predicting what people will buy than taking a poll. Polling will get you an answer as to what people want, but not what people will actually pay for.

Polling gave us the Edsel. Big, powerful, expensive - and introduced during a recession.

Which was a stupid move from a marketing stand point.

Sometimes there is the question of whether sales are driving marketing, or the opposite. If Ruger only makes a muzzle braked version of the 375 Ruger, when they sell a few does it mean the 375 is a success, or the muzzle brake? Or perhaps an article came out in a major magazine proclaiming the 375 Ruger's awesomeness, yet nobody really wants the muzzle brake, it's just the only option available. Marketing is a tricky game....

For instance, it was mentioned how a few cartridges are made in small runs from time to time to make the looneys happy. If one were to market these rifles to the masses, i.e. a campaign proclaiming the connection to the past by using the same cartridge as granddad used, it might sell some more weird rounds.
Perhaps an advertisement with a young fellow going hunting with his granddad as a boy, who proclaims the 250 Savage the greatest thing ever. He then loses his rifles in a house fire. Fast forward twenty years, and the now grown boy sees a new Ruger 250 Savage like used as a boy with his granddad on the shelf of the LGS. A smile crosses his face as he handles the rifle, while his young son then races up to his arms, passing on the tradition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, ask Remington.

The crickets chirping isn't because of public apathy, it's because remington couldn't market Vodka to a russian alcoholic.

They consistantly screw the pooch when it comes to marketing and product development and then blame the public. They're idiots many times over. SAUM? 30AR? etronix ignition? 22" barrels of model 7s?, loading the 260rem with 140gr bullets at 2400fps?, bringing out the 7mm-06 oops, 7mm express oopps again, 280remington, 6mm remington with 1-12 twist that wouldn't shoot deer weight bullets, but market it as a "duel" purpose gun?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Billy,

One potential problem with a public poll on new products is a few people over-loading it to what they want.

The company could figure out ahead of time a few options to vote on, and go from there.

It's just another technique that might help to sell some rifles. The poll might be a failure, but then again it might be a huge success - I would personally think positively of a company who directly asked their customers what they wanted, even if they didn't build the choice I had voted for.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Yep, ask Remington.

The crickets chirping isn't because of public apathy, it's because remington couldn't market Vodka to a russian alcoholic.

They consistantly screw the pooch when it comes to marketing and product development and then blame the public. They're idiots many times over. SAUM? 30AR? etronix ignition? 22" barrels of model 7s?, loading the 260rem with 140gr bullets at 2400fps?, bringing out the 7mm-06 oops, 7mm express oopps again, 280remington, 6mm remington with 1-12 twist that wouldn't shoot deer weight bullets, but market it as a "duel" purpose gun?

Yeah, Remington should have schit-canned their marketing department years ago. Hopefully they integrated their departments, because there has been a serious disconnect with Remington.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd like to thank Ruger for producing niche cartridge rifles. Not criticize them for not chambering every niche cartridge into multiple different guns that would sit on dealer shelves for years due to limited demand. The 9.3x62 Mauser is terrific, but with CZ-USA selling them, is there much market for Ruger? I think not... But Ruger still produced those gorgeous Model 77 Africans, and now some #1 Single Shot rifles. I say thank Ruger, not complain!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Ruger has always done this type of thing. Numerous products have been announced and never see the light of day...

You must remember the ads for the XGI.

Sure do and I still want one dammit!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC Ruger had such a poll on their website. They were asking what features we'd like to see on the Hawkeye rifles and then gave a list of 7 or 8 possibilities.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'll mirror what JB said, but will use Browning as my example. For darnnear 20 years I suggested, asked, and begged Browning to chamber the 250 Savage in their wonderful Micro Hunter rifle. They already make it in .243, so there'd be no physical impairments to making it in .250 Savage. And it would make a simply delightful deer rifle for the smaller-statured (or geezers like me.) Nope.

They claimed there'd be no demand. I countered with the sales record of Savage's limited-production runs of that chambering - all of which flew off the shelves. "That's was probably the whole market," said the Browning whizkids.

I told Browning if they ever made their low wall in .260, I'd buy one. Now, I'm quite certain I wasn't the reason they actually produced it, but you can bet as soon as I found out about it, I jumped on one. I could probably get close to 3x as much for it now as I paid for it. About as perfect a rifle/cartridge match as there ever was�

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.