Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 39 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 38 39
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I like sweet corn bread

Me too. My kids loved it when I made Jiffy cornbread when they were little. I guess it just grew on me.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

One reason that cornbread goes so well with red beans is that neither benefit from little gourmet touches.

A truer statement has never been posted here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the invitation Ed.
I wish I could make it.
SWMBO has other plans.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I wish you could make it, too.

Don't give up, plans can always change. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
OK, the shooting challenges look like this;

The "Elk Hunt".
Labarr has come up with some 24" x 36" Elk Silhouette targets and a great challenge. The course of fire is;
Stage one, STANDING ONLY, NO SUPPORTS: At 150 yd, rifle butt on foot, round in chamber, two shots only, no practice, 15 seconds max. A red spotter is zero, all score is distance from individual orange dot on your target.

Stage two, since you shot so pooooooorly at the first stage, would be at max practical range (350 yards), one shot, prone, off a stuffed pack [as your elk is descending into the worst black timber you have ever seen, and probably will ever see]. Every body would use the same pack, no practice rounds. Only real elk calibers, 7 mm min dia, at least 7-08 in size [270's ok for those with a strong feminine side grin ].
Shots will be measured from the center of the orange dots and lowest aggregate distance for the three shots will be the winner.

Prairie Dog Shoot
One shot, cold bore, any caliber, any sights, any position, 200 yards at a 1/2" orange dot on a life-size prairie dog silhouette. Closest shot to the center of the dot wins.

Handgun Duel
RIO7 is bringing a dueling tree for a handgun shoot off. For those who have never used one, it is a way for two people to shoot at steel "flags", the first one to push all of their flags to the other side of the post wins.

"William Tell Shoot"
Traditional Archery, bare bows only, no sights or releases. One arrow at an apple 30 yards away. I couldn't find anyone to volunteer to put the apple on their head, so we'll have to pretend. frown

"Red Ryder Challenge"
Five shots from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun at five hanging golf balls at 20 yards. Most balls hit wins. Sudden Death shoot-off in case of a tie.

Shotguns I'll leave that to you scattergunners to suggest a challenge. I just shoot at birds. And miss. grin

We'll also have some steel targets to ring for those who love to plink, and there has been discussion of a 200yard .22lr shoot.

For the BPCR Crew, I believe that RIO7 is bringing a full-size Hog Silhouette that could be placed at 400 yards. What say you about one shot, cold bore?

Finally, time permitting, we will have a Military Rifle Shoot. Pre-WWI military rifle, issue sights, 200 yards, best five shot group wins.

There are two ponds here, both just over an acre, two aluminum boats, and plenty of bass & bluegills that are very hungry.

Between the food, shooting, fishing, and fellowship, we should have a full weekend!

Can't wait! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like fun Ed.
Getting things lined out for sure.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

The "Elk Hunt".
Labarr has come up with some 24" x 36" Elk Silhouette targets and a great challenge. The course of fire is;
Stage one, STANDING ONLY, NO SUPPORTS: At 150 yd, rifle butt on foot, round in chamber, two shots only, no practice, 15 seconds max. A red spotter is zero, all score is distance from individual orange dot on your target.

somehow I get the idea my brother wants to see me shoot the lightweight .300 Roy. I wasn't exactly looking forward to shooting it again smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Whadja do to pizz him off? eek grin

It'll only hurt for a little while... sick

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A swap meet would be a pretty interesting deal. I've got 3 or 4 guns and quite a few accessories that I'd sell/trade.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
WOW! HOW did I miss that part? blush

OF COURSE there will be a swap meet! What Gathering doesn't have one?

Bring yer goodies to swap, sell, or give away!

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the list of attendees I have so far. The ones that are tentative I put a question mark next to. If I have missed anyone, please forgive me.
There are some folks that I wish would come that haven't chimed in yet. There's still time! grin
In no particular order;

BrotherBart (& son?)
curdog4570
kaywoodie ?
ltppowell
tdd4570 & 2 sons
gnnrsig40
Wtxj
SteveNO (& Grace?)
Paladin ?
stxhunter
Texncal
Texncal's Brother ?
prairie dog shooter
Big C
bcolorado ?
milespatton
RIO7
Slipsinker
Sponxx & family
HugAJackass & Family ?
Birdwatcher & Bride
crossfireoops ?
CCCC & Bride
Temmi
butchlambert1
gunner500
Oldman2003
TX270 ?
Isaac ?
Charlie Sisk
tmj10025?
Mystery Guest
websterparish47
DocRocket ?

Ed

Bump for the list.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Amended List;

BrotherBart (& son?)
curdog4570
kaywoodie ?
ltppowell
tdd4570 & 2 sons
gnnrsig40
Wtxj
SteveNO (& Grace?)
Paladin ?
stxhunter
Texncal
Labarr
prairie dog shooter
Big C
bcolorado ?
milespatton
RIO7
Slipsinker
Sponxx & family
HugAJackass & Family ?
Birdwatcher & Bride
crossfireoops ?
CCCC & Bride
Temmi
butchlambert1
gunner500
Oldman2003, Wife, and friend
TX270 ?
Isaac ?
Charlie Sisk
tmj10025?
Mystery Guest
websterparish47
DocRocket ?
Karnis?

Going to be a great time! grin

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I have a few questions.
What are the sleeping arrangements gonna be? You're going to have to sleep alone unless you bring your own date.
I have a 12'x24' shelter I use to store hay in that I figure Gunner will fit in. Everyone else will have to use their own tents.
grin
Do you have a bunk house? Not as such. There is an apartment in the "Barn House" that several folks could sleep in if they like each other and wear ear plugs.
Should we bring tents or plan to sleep where we fall? Both, however, if you're standing on the dock on the lower pond when you fall asleep, you're on your own.
You have as couple of RV spots but is there other places to park a travel trailer? Yes. There is quite a bit of room to park travel trailers and other vehicles. Tents can be pitched inside the fenced yards (about 3/4 acre of available space)if you're afraid of armadillos, racoons, and coyotes. If you're afraid of Gunner or Pat, you're better off pitching your tent inside your trailer.
How are the skeeters there in April? Big and thirsty. Actually, they're not bad, particularly compared to Alaska. Seriously, they are here since we aren't that far from the ponds, but a little bug dope or standing in the campfire smoke seems to keep them at bay.
You could also drink heavily, thereby giving the mosquitoes alcohol poisoning, plus you wouldn't care if you were bitten.
IN ADDITION;
We have a 15'x30' covered pavilion with electrical outlets and lights. I figure most of the cooking will be done there as that's where we keep our double burner propane cooker.
There are three bathrooms here, one in the Barn House, one in the "Little House" where we live, and we have a "Bath House" which is a full bath in it's own building in the middle of the yard.

For those who prefer more creature comforts, there are two hotels in Gilmer;
The Executive Inn & Suites
920 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-6099
www.executiveinngilmertx.com

The Gilmer Inn
1018 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-3033
www.gilmerinntx.com

We are about twelve miles west of Gilmer, roughly a fifteen-twenty minute drive from these hotels.
I will post the exact address and directions, to everyone who has indicated they are coming, in a group PM as we get closer to the dates.

Gilmer, TX, being the county seat of Upshur County, has a population if just under 5,000 , meaning we have a Walmart and a Brookshires Grocery store, as well as three to five Mexican Grocery stores, depending on the day of the week.
This is a damp county, so you have to drive about fifteen miles south to the bustling metropolis of Big Sandy, TX for adult beverages. If you do go to Big Sandy for adult beverages, save yourself time, money, and aggravation and go to Red's Liquors on US-80. Great selection, great knowledgeable folks working there, and they don't overprice everything.

Stay tuned! I'll post more details as we get closer. I HAVE asked Rick Bin to make this a sticky, but I think he's still on vacation. Maybe if he heard from some more folks, we could get this up front and everyone could stay informed.

I'm looking forward to this!!! grin

Ed

Bump for the motel address and there phone for the ones not camping.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What shoot'n irons are y'all thinking about bringing?
I might bring my C Sharps 40-90. I've also have a 444 Marlin that is is arguably the most gorgeous lever action ever made.
I'm also going to bring my 10/22.
Springfield A3-03 that's a 280 Ackley.
Henry 45 Colt Lever Action.
3 ar-15's(one for SteveNO's daughter Grace}that are lefty's.
Maybe the Cream-cycle(350Rem Mag that Redneck built).
Assorted Ruger Old Model Blackhawk and New Model Vaqueros.
70 Series Colt Gold Cup National Match and a Detonics Scoremaster 45ACP.
I guess I'll bring my Winchester Super-X model 1. I haven't shot a shotgun very much in the last decade so I don't expect to do well in the scatter-gun competition.
What am I overlooking?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A bow if you shoot the string.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
A bow if you shoot the string.

Bows are for Injuns... I ain't an Injun. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me neither.
I thinking on what to bring.
I guess my Colt 45acp
P226 Sig
45/70
30/40 Krag
6.5 x 55 swedish Mauser
one or two 308's
Maybe the 44 mag and 45lc.
That would be more than enough
wait the M-1 Garand

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait ==== a shotgun
Maybe a win model 12, if I buy it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can I enter my 03A3 in the pre-WWI contest? It's got a slight bulge in the barrel, that seems a reasonable handicap smile

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I've got a bulge in my barrel and I'm not handicapped. grin

We need to come up with a course of fire for the military rifle match and another for a DGR shoot that will allow double rifles and bolt guns to compete.

Ed

Page 23 of 39 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1badf350, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.