Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've had a bunch over the last 31 years......the ones I remember were Century, Leer (2) and currently ARE.

All have been fine.

I've had Lakeland toppers for years. But they're local to Wisconsin, I think. Good product, none the less.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

- Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a very simple leer, no problems, bought it new in '98, it is on its second truck, I admit it spends more time off than on.

Replaced the gas struts twice, and had to wire the second truck for the dome light and brake light (simple)

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a Jason Tonneau cover, the lock gave me headaches.

Two LEER's, I loved them, had no issues. Had one repainted to match a new truck, all of the hardware, windows, latches, never let me down.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a used Leer for my truck for $150. Had it painted to match my truck and replaced the struts.

All told I have about $500 in it and it looks brand new.

Love the utility is provides, hate the blind spot it creates.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone I know here has Leer caps. Two of my friends got their caps with cracks in the back corners. I would go over a Leer cap and make sure it was perfect if I was going to have them paint it to match your truck.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an ARE that is on its second truck, a 2014 Chev 3/4 ton. Love it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
deerhunter5555;
As I'm up here in Canada and have only purchased locally made pickup canopies I'll refrain from specific brand recommendation and make some broad observations based upon 3 decades of running canopies on pickups in the back country.

Someone has already made the observation that the all glass back window models are not really compatible with off roading as they are prone to breakage.

When I purchased the last last canopy direct from the factory they went so far as to say they'd not sell me the one I initially asked for because it was so equipped.

As well, some of the newer canopy designs have a "molded over" the pickup bed sides look - which of course is sleek and aerodynamic - but prevents putting a cargo rack like this one on.
[Linked Image]

With apologies that the truck canopy and rack are in the background here - only shot I could find - but you can also see that the bottom rail on this canopy is the "old style" aluminum bottom type.

The manufacturer of the canopy also sold the aluminum rack and said that this style was still the most robust construction - if that's important to you.

Lastly one can sort of make out that even though it's a short box pickup, I'm running 3 clamps on each side. Admittedly I'm a belt and suspenders sort of fellow, but as that particular pickup - an '03 Dodge 2500 - rides like a brass camel with a broken hump - I'll take all the clamping power available to keep the canopy from vibrating off the back on our logging roads.

Hopefully that all made at least some sense to you sir and was useful to a degree. Good luck on your truck cap purchase whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had snugtop, leer, and are fiberglass shells and they were all pretty good until I got a pickup with an ARE commercial aluminum shell. Its 8" higher than the cab, has lift up windows on each side and barn doors in the back with no tailgate. Can't believe how nice it is on the knees with no tailgate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC the last one we had was ARE(atleast the website of the guys that put it on says thats what they stock) and it was alot better than the Leer we had before....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I've had several different caps, from different manufactures....

They all suck equally, therefore spend the least and go for value.

Two "top of the line" Leer gave me the most grief.

1500.00 bucks new, and two years later you'll be lucky to get 100.00 bucks for it.

Go for value.

After reading this thread I went outside to see what mine was. Didnt even know. Came with the truck which I bought used. Didnt plan to keep the cap on so paid no attention to it.

Anyway, I grew to love having a cap on. So I left it. No issues with it, but don't know how old it is. At least 2 years cuz that's when I bought the truck.

It's a Guidon. Never even heard of it. Can't even find them on the internet to see what they cost.

But if I needed to replace it, I wouldn't be inclined to spend more than a couple hundred. Mine gets hit by branches constantly, so I'm not dumping money into it.

So I'm inclined to agree with the quoted text. But I figure it depends on what you want it for. I just like them to keep my stuff out of the weather. I'm not worried about security. I'm not sleeping in it (not that I wouldn't), and couldn't care less how they look.

And for the record, I grew up calling them "camper shells." Sometime early in my adult life, I switched to "cap." Not sure why.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The first one I had was a Brahma and it cracked all over. I looked at Leer and ARE, The ARE was a lot cheaper ,but the Leer looked better. BIG MISTAKE. I have the center latch on the rear glass and below it is a flashing that was held on with double sided sticky tape. I say was because it started to come off in less than a yea. The dealer replaced it twice until it was out of warranty and then said it wasn't his problem any more. I finally took a piece of that grey pipe insulation and glued it on with contact cement and it works OK. Just doesnt look all that good.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/20/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Mine is also a Leer that I bought new.

It is a long bed with tip-up windows on each side which I really appreciate. It also has two latches on the back tip-up window rather than one that I had on the aluminum topper I had on my last truck.

It is a bit over five years old and has held up very well. About the only thing I don't like is what it cost. The dealer I bought it from said that most toppers are the same price regardless of length. I always thought he told me that to make me feel good as mine is about as long as they come.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Jason makes a nice cap.

I have a friend with a Jason and he likes it a lot as well.

That's a new one to me...ill check them out. How's the latches and hardware on them?

I've not had, nor heard of any hardware problems until one post here.
Remember (around here anyway) there is probably only 1 Jason for every 15 caps.
FWIW Leer, and ARE are popular in this area.
I think Jason is mfg. in the midwest (?), and not a big dealer network like some others.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I definitely think finding one used on Craigslist is the way to go.

People buy them, take them off and they are such a hassle to get on and off they they just leave them off, get tired of mowing around them and sell them for 1/3 of what they paid for them.

Other than not matching the color of my truck, my looked brand new. I've had it for a little over a year, and aside from replacing the struts, its fine. Had 6 inches of snow and ice sitting on top of it for the last 3 weeks without any issues.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (44mc, 300Sav, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Anaconda, 11 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,557
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.