Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hello all,

I'm planning to take my two daughters fishing for the first time in April. I'm trying to find rods & reels for them and I'm hoping to find something relatively inexpensive, as I'm not certain they're going to like fishing.

My thought is to go with a spincast reel, as that was what I started with as a kid. If you have any recommendations for rods/reels for young kids (7 and 10 years old, but they're both small for their age), please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

David

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old cane poles brought fish in for years now.
Just one thought.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old push button closed face reels are relatively cheap and great for kids.
Gets something that works though, even if you have to spend a little more.
Right now, they may or may not like fishing but I guarantee they'll be soured if they spend the day fighting cheap chinaland gear.

Luck

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Right now, they may or may not like fishing but I guarantee they'll be soured if they spend the day fighting cheap chinaland gear.

That is EXACTLY my concern - you hit the nail right on the head.

That's why I'm hoping to find a couple of nice close-face push-button spin cast reels and light/medium rods they can use without having to worry about spending most of their time having me tinker with their gear.

I see options as Zebco, Daiwa, and Shakespeare. Of the three, I'm thinking Daiwa, but it has been a long time since I used one.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the reel comes with line already spooled I would strip it off and respool with Stren or Trilene 8lb test.Good line is the best defense against a bad day

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by remrug77
If the reel comes with line already spooled I would strip it off and respool with Stren or Trilene 8lb test.Good line is the best defense against a bad day

Thanks! I'll put that on my "to buy" list. I used to use Stren back when it first came out. It has been a while. 8^ )

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look seriously at an under-rod spin cast with lever release. HERE is just one such.

Shakespeare, Zebco, Pflueger, and others make such reels. They combine the advantages of spincast and spinning, are intuitive to work/cast, and if it doesn't work out with the kids, they make superb ice-fishing outfits.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Look seriously at an under-rod spin cast with lever release. HERE is just one such.

Shakespeare, Zebco, Pflueger, and others make such reels. They combine the advantages of spincast and spinning, are intuitive to work/cast, and if it doesn't work out with the kids, they make superb ice-fishing outfits.

Thank you for the link! That's one I hadn't considered, but I'm definitely going to take a serious look. It does look like a pretty spiffy outfit and would make a nice transition to a spinning reel down the road.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That one doesn't get very good reviews, so I changed the link. But just search for "triggerspin reel" or "underspin reel" to find lots more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I repair and service rods and reels; my choice for learning children would be 5-6' Shakespere Ugly stick (white Tip) Medium action.
Hooked up with a Zebco closed face spinning reel.

Tack

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tack
I repair and service rods and reels; my choice for learning children would be 5-6' Shakespere Ugly stick (white Tip) Medium action.

Tack

^^^This^^^

Shakespere Ugly Stick with a Zebco 33. Hard to beat the price, and pretty much indestructible. I've bought all my Neices & Nephews a set like that when they were young, and they all still have them & still use them. And the Ugly Sticks use to have a life time breakage warranties on there rods, not sure if they still do, but they are dang tough rods!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by tack

Tack

Thanks, Tack. When you say a "Closed face spinning reel", are you referring to the thumb push-button models or something different? I've used Ugly Sticks in the past and I agree they are terrific.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I still have and use the first Ugly stick that I bought around 1984.I would like to see the pile of fish that rod has caught

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
the zebco & ugly stix are great as mentioned. my ugly dates from 1982. cranky72

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thumb Push Button.

Nothing brought me closer to my twin daughters than fishing.

Tack

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought my grandson a thumb-push model, but I think the underrod is more natural to use. It's a bit unnatural to release your thumb while you are casting (you want to push at that moment) whereas it's perfectly natural to "point" your index finger at the target. Plus, you don't have to do that awkward hand switch to start reeling.

When we go fishing again this year, I may just substitute one of my triggerspin outfits for the thumb-push to see which one he uses better. I'm betting on the trigger model.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Haven't met the kid yet who doesn't like to catch fish. (catch being the key here) Both my kids were introduced to fishing via sunfish, perch and catfish to keep them in the action. I also tried to make sure they didn't get cold! Both still enjoy it as adults.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
That's my hope as well - that this is something that they'll love as much as I used to. I have fond memories of going fishing with my father on the weekends.

I very much appreciate the suggestions you all have offered. I'm going to track down good prices on ugly sticks. I'm still debating whether to go with the push-button spincast reel or the under-rod.

I bought myself a new reel: A Penn Conquer spinning reel. I bought Penn because I wanted to buy American. I was very unpleasantly surprised to see the "Made in China" sticker on the reel. What a shame...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, if you want to avoid anything "Made In China" you'd best get used to not buying much. Or settle for "Made in Vietnam," or "Made in Mexico," or "Made in Taiwan," or "Made in Malaysia," or...

It's a fact of life, my friend. (PLEASE, NO posts about evil American companies outsourcing, or unions, or capitalism, or Business 101, or...)

Just buy what you think suits your needs best. Don't read the "Made in..." label. Enjoy the product.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
That is very sound advice, my friend. It's wise to know which battles to fight and which ones are already lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.