Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really really want to buy me a Forbes rifle, but man, I'm kind of tight. And a Ruger American rifle is maybe half a pound heavier and probably shoots just as good, if not better for 20% of the cost? It is kind of hard to justify the added expense.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/21/14.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JoeBob

The Stevens 200 was much more traditional and better looking. Now, Ruger comes in with a pretty good looking rifle and knocks them on their arses.

God help us if these two are what we consider good looking rifles.

Travis

If it ain't wood and blue, it all kind of looks the same anyway...except for the Savage Axis. That thing looks like...well, I don't know what it looks like but it is ugly.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
We should start a poll on when the first inevitable outcome will occur:

Someone buys a $350 Ruger American and then puts a $500 McMillan stock on it. wink

As long as you can also change the barrel, bed it, replace the trigger and true the action. grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You might as well put a Swarovski on top of it as well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You might as well put a Swarovski on top of it as well.

I was thinking about a Nightforce scope. That would make it "Practically Tactical".

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
jim- not picking on you, agreeing with you. smile

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The genius of the American Rifle is that they can probably make five of them in the time it takes to make one M77. Over the last few years, anything they put on the shelves, expensive or cheap would have sold at a record pace, but by putting a cheap and easy to produce rifle out there, they've been able to keep up with demand and take advantage of the demand.

You can see it at Wal-Mart. The American Rifle is already the most common rifle on the shelf. In just a short time, Ruger has not only gained its foothold in that segment of the market, but begun to dominate it.

Over here its the Axis that still has the bulk of the lower end market, don't get enough Americans to allow that 'domination' to occur. Speaking with the local gunshop owner, on review they are slightly down in profitability, but working 4 times as hard to maintain it. Less shooters/hunters are buying the quality end of the firearm spectrum, preferring to purchase lower priced items and keep money in their pockets.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 57 I'm lost in the past I guess. I love wood and blue! I like to admire the rifle I'm using when I stop for lunch, in camp or at home. I even still like my hammers and axes to have wood handles.

A hunting firearm has always been more than just a tool or a means to an end for me. If all my hunting was in the Pacific Northwest and it rained on me all day, every day that I hunted, I would own a stainless and plastic rifle. But I don't, so I don't. So no American or Axis for me.

To me there has never, and will never be a good looking plastic stocked rifle. Utilitarian? Absolutely! Shoot lights out? Sure!

But just because Rosie O'Donnell has all the same equipment a Connie Britton or Catherine Bell has, I know who I would choose to spend time with. Not that Ms. Britton or Bell would ever spend any time with me.grin

Last edited by Henry McCann; 02/21/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Somebody probably already has fancy stocks and scopes on order for some of these $300 rifles. Probably the same guys who spend $1000+ upgrading 10/22s and Mark III pistols, instead of buying Anschutz rifles and S&W 41s. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw a Stevens 200 with a pretty decent Boyd's checkered wood stock on it the other day.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I dunno....I just got back from the LGS and looked at a Ruger American, and a Hawkeye.

Not much doubt which one I'd pick.

I can understand the "cheap accuracy" attraction, but still wouldn't buy an American. But they must be selling a lot of them because they had a lot of them there. Not my cup of tea.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would rather a CRF rifle, with a open trigger, one piece bolt, three position safety, not because a push feed wouldn't work, I just choose to like that feature set so I own quite a few MKII's and hawkeyes. That said I can see some use for a rifle that that's cheap and works well. I have my eyes open for a all weather RAR in 223 and there is a good chance I will pick one up when they become available.

I will say that the number of RARs at local gunshops and the number they seem to be selling over the last few months is impressive. I wouldn't be surprised to find that in the last quarter its among the top selling centerfires of any model.

My guess is that its due to a number of factors, first they seem to be producing enough that shops have 20+ on the racks and the price is right. They feel pretty good to me (for a plastic stocked POS that is). I wouldn't be surprised if the wholesale price is such that they are profitable for the shops to sell.

One more factor is that they are in a range where they can be pretty much an impulse buy. There are a lot more folks that can drop $300 on whim, than can drop $1200.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field. Nothing worse.

Imagine knocking over your trophy, and needing a second shot to finish the job and something like the extractor breaks and you can't chamber a second round?

There are other cheap options that provide much more rugged reliability. The Zastava M70 bolt action synthetics are available here for up to 75 dollars less than the Ruger American in places and about the same money as an Axis. Those things can't be broken in my experience, and they shoot about as good as anything out of the box.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
not here though. ruger is $340 and the zastava- if we can find one- is over $450

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
At 57 I'm lost in the past I guess... grin

You're not lost in the past. You're just waiting for the right shade of polymer to come along. No worries.

Originally Posted by Hogeye
Somebody probably already has fancy stocks and scopes on order for some of these $300 rifles...

Absolutely. I've got a fancy stock on a Stevens. It was a 223, now it's a 6x45.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
I dunno....I just got back from the LGS and looked at a Ruger American, and a Hawkeye.

Not much doubt which one I'd pick...

We know. You'll just love the American.

Originally Posted by bobnob17
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field...

The stock is likely stronger than the wooden stocked rifles you own. The other parts have been thoroughly tested by the R and D folks. They're solid. (Except the Remingtons...)

---

There are so many pluses to the American, Axis and XL7. They are affordable, accurate, and bring new shooters into the sport. No one says that you have to buy one, but you should feel happy for those that do. Can you remember your first rifle?

The world is full of anti-gunners. Be happy that hunting and shooting does not have to cost a small fortune to enjoy. Not everyone can afford a Leupold or a Kimber. They'll shoot as well or better than the expensive rifles. And you know what? Not everyone likes wood, or high dollar price tags on something they consider a tool.

Don't think of these rifles as econo-tubes. Think of them as Sport Utility Rifles (SURs) There, you were here for the birth of some new slang. You can take them anywhere. Beat them up. Modify them. Paint them. In short, treat them like a Jeep.

I've played with a couple. As I said on another thread, I think I'll get me one in the morning.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field. Nothing worse.

Imagine knocking over your trophy, and needing a second shot to finish the job and something like the extractor breaks and you can't chamber a second round?

bobnob:I don't think it ever occurs to some rifle buyers that this sort of thing could ever happen... shocked smile

The most they'd think about is would the factory warranty cover it? .....which may be helpful after the fact,but not worth much at the time.

One nice thing about something like that happening with a cheap rifle....I could fling it into the nearest river and not give it a second thought.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field. Nothing worse...

bobnob:I don't think it ever occurs to some rifle buyers that this sort of thing could ever happen... shocked smile

The most they'd think about is would the factory warranty cover it? .....which may be helpful after the fact,but not worth much at the time.

One nice thing about something like that happening with a cheap rifle....I could fling it into the nearest river and not give it a second thought.

You're absolutely right about being concerned with the factory warranty, but in the event of failure, it's not much good at the time. That happened to me. I had a Leupold go south on a hunt over 600 miles from home. Luckily, I brought another rifle. grin

You guys must hate Dodge trucks too...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
To the Two Bobs (inNH and nob17):

So far the Americans may not have been around long enough to see how they'll hold up over the long haul. But I have shot the snot out of the .308 I own, and have been on a couple of big shoots where 10-12 shooters used Americans to not only do "accuracy" shooting but rapid-fire, with the bolt being slammed back and forth and brass flying everywhere.

No rifle break-downs so far, but then again I'm somebody who's fired over 100,000 rounds through Remington 700's under all sorts of conditions from -20 Fahrenheit and snowing to 100+ in dust--and haven't had an extractor break or a bolt handle come off yet. Maybe I'm lucky, but apparently something about me is REALLY hard on scopes....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I'm betting even the cheap Ruger will please the once a year deer hunter right down to the ground after all that's likely Rugers target group. But, they are not for me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And no doubt it especially pleases the deer hunters with kids.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i really like mine. took a closer look after JB spoke so highly of his.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 58 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.