Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a copy of this tape for about 25 years along with several others that included other interviews with the Agents involved and an excellent one that was done by the Dade County SO.

Someone recently posted a copy of it on YouTube. The audio is very worn but it is a good watch...I have seen it no less than 50 times...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-1986-fbi-gunfight-and-adoption-of-the-10mm-auto/

There is a LOT more to the incident and many questions that will never be answered...but this was the first tape done by the FBI and it is real good to have it to compare to other interviews as history seems to change as time goes on...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJM
I've had a copy of this tape for about 25 years along with several others that included other interviews with the Agents involved and an excellent one that was done by the Dade County SO.

Someone recently posted a copy of it on YouTube. The audio is very worn but it is a good watch...I have seen it no less than 50 times...

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/the-1986-fbi-gunfight-and-adoption-of-the-10mm-auto/

There is a LOT more to the incident and many questions that will never be answered...but this was the first tape done by the FBI and it is real good to have it to compare to other interviews as history seems to change as time goes on...

Bob
That's not a link to a video. You sure you got it right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My brother in law was there.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's not a link to a video. You sure you got it right?

There's a vid link on the page referenced.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

There is a LOT more to the incident and many questions that will never be answered...

Good video & thanks for posting, I've read a lot about it but never seen the video or the interviews; not sure what you mean by "Lots more to the incident", but it's surely a classic in what not to do.

The FBI was so ill prepared for that stop & the ensuing firefight that it was lost before the 1st shot was fired.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
after watching that video I am left asking why in the world adopt the 10mm??? I don't see how that would have done anything. getting rid of the revolvers is the number 1 take away I come up with. the other is have easy access to an ar 15. I think the shotguns were pretty ineffective, they state numorous non fatal buck shot hits, trade the shotgun for an ar 15.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Getting rid of the revolvers is the number 1 take away I come up with.
Wasn't it a round from a revolver that saved the day?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
There's a vid link on the page referenced.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Yes, a good man with a revolver ended that gunfight. The problem that day wasn't really equipment related nearly so much as tactical errors by the FBI agents.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The problem that day wasn't really equipment related nearly so much as tactical errors by the FBI agents.

Well, I guess there are lots of ways to couch the issues & tactics certainly are at the top of the list, but revolvers without either enough ammo or trying to load loose rounds (appears none had speedloaders), a shotgun in the back seat INSIDE a hard case, & leaving vests in the cars, certainly indicates some hardware shortcoming, w/o ever getting into the effectiveness of the calibers being used.

I guess those could be called tactical errors............but I'm also calling them hardware issues.

MM

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Fascinating video. I couldn't imagine the terror.............

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Times change......can't imagine working without putting my vest on. It's been habit for me since the beginning and it's routine now. Some of my pards that started well before me, though, still don't wear one regardless of policy. It's all what you're used to.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It gets a tad warm in Miami, George wink

I'm better when I move.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Understood, and I am lucky in that regard. I still figure I'd adapt. Back then, though, it wasn't habit to wear them and mine likely would have been on the seat as well (had I not been in 3rd grade smile )

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Times change......can't imagine working without putting my vest on. It's been habit for me since the beginning and it's routine now. Some of my pards that started well before me, though, still don't wear one regardless of policy. It's all what you're used to.

George

I'm sure you have more insight than I do, but those guys KNEW they were going into a confrontation with armed & dangerous types..........just sayin'.

MM

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Like most, I don't have the "why". Vests were a newer concept back then and I doubt cops (and Feebs) of the day were much different than those I know.........we hate change in many cases.

I started my career after two Troopers that I knew from Coos County (where I grew up) were gunned down. That, in northern NH, makes an impression.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9

I started my career after two Troopers that I knew from Coos County (where I grew up) were gunned down. That, in northern NH, makes an impression.....

Many people just don't realize how many really, really vicious, ruthless & incredibly cruel POS are out there running around in society.

I hope you (& your K9) manage to stay safe; you seem like one of the really good guys here.

MM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I read a M-13 3" with .38+P 158gr LSWHP but some sources now say a S&W 686 with the same ammo. I read Mireles carried a SIG P220 with Federal 230gr Hydrashoks later.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 02/23/14.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I read a M-13 3" with .38+P 158gr LSWHP but some sources now say a S&W 686 with the same ammo. I read Mireles carried a SIG P220 with Federal 230gr Hydrashoks later.
Amazing how hard it is to get clarity on a thing like that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

If that's "saving the day" I'd hate to see the definition of a disaster.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.