Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by bobnob17
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field. Nothing worse.

Imagine knocking over your trophy, and needing a second shot to finish the job and something like the extractor breaks and you can't chamber a second round?

bobnob:I don't think it ever occurs to some rifle buyers that this sort of thing could ever happen... shocked smile

The most they'd think about is would the factory warranty cover it? .....which may be helpful after the fact,but not worth much at the time.

One nice thing about something like that happening with a cheap rifle....I could fling it into the nearest river and not give it a second thought.

So youd throw an American in the nearest river if something malfunctioned, would you do the same with an Echols Legend???

Last edited by 338rcm; 02/22/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I'm sure glad this thread took off in the right direction. smile Right after this wordy preamble, I'll tell you about the Ruger American I bought.

(Cue a young Bill Anderson singing "Po' Folks", as introduced by a young Ralph Emery. smile )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy55KjpTEmM

Growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. My daddy worked in a tire plant, and he couldn't afford much. That's probably why I have a weird sense of humour. Second hand tire fumes. crazy

I got my first rifle at a gun show - used. My first car was a 1963 VW Bug. I fixed it up in the driveway. Me and my buddies repaired a lot of stuff in the garage, or the driveway. Etc. Etc. Amen.

After high school, I joined the service. I made more money than ever before. At any rate, I continued to repair broken machinery and help my friends do the same.

As I got older, despite raising a family, having bills and stuff, I found that I could afford to buy new things. When I got back from Europe, I bought a Ford pick up and a Parker Hale 1200 30-06. Neat!

A few years later, I discovered that while it was cool to have a new Ford and a new 30-06, I missed spending time with my buddies getting old clunkers to run or tinkering with beat up rifles in my workshop. I also realized that spending big bucks on pricey equipment wasn't always the smart, or fun thing to do.

(Wordy preamble over.)

I have a mix of expensive and not so expensive rifles. I enjoy SURs (Sport Utility Rifles) because I can fix them up, paint, play with or replace the barrels, triggers, optics, stocks, etc.

Today, I dropped by The Gun Centre (Some Canadians may know that it used to be Lovett's) to buy that American. It was already sold, so I ordered one online from Epps. The rifle is in stock, so I'll drop by tomorrow and pick it up.

I've got some Burris rings sitting here, and a Weaver fixed 4 that I mentioned yesterday. I'll also get that free cheek pad that Ruger is offering. The rifle might be homely, but so were my VW Bugs - and I owned three. If it shoots, it will stay. If not, I'll move it on down the road.

Life is too short to shoot pretty rifles. Or gold plated rifles. Or Remingtons. laugh

If you learn to say "GFY", you'll be welcome at my campfire anytime. Wait, did I just infer something about that guy from Have-her, MT? Oh, well; I suppose....

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm
My main concern with buying one of these cheap rifles is that something will break or fail in the field. Nothing worse.

Imagine knocking over your trophy, and needing a second shot to finish the job and something like the extractor breaks and you can't chamber a second round?

bobnob:I don't think it ever occurs to some rifle buyers that this sort of thing could ever happen... shocked smile

The most they'd think about is would the factory warranty cover it? .....which may be helpful after the fact,but not worth much at the time.

One nice thing about something like that happening with a cheap rifle....I could fling it into the nearest river and not give it a second thought.

So youd throw an American in the nearest river if something malfunctioned, would you do the same with an Echols Legend???

What would you do with a rifle that malfunctioned on a hunt?

Doesn't matter how much a rifle costs...if it malfunctions it's a POS.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...and, based on what I have seen so far, the Ruger American, like their other rifles, is well thought out in design and execution. Having had a rifle drop its bolt handle in the simple process of cycling the bolt, things like a through-shroud bolt handle seem like a really well-though out concept, (among other things.) It can be taken apart, but it looks to me like it can't fail and come apart. I haven't had a chance to see the weakness of the American design, but they appear to have what it takes to give a run to a whole bunch of other more expensive rifles. (And Ruger must be feeling pretty comfortable with the target results of their 77s overall, to be able to market a less expensive design that is winning the hearts of ordinary shooters who poke holes in paper.)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik: That could be.Their stuff has always been pretty rugged. No secrets there.

I just have no interest in one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually dislike them them more for being as good as they seem to be when I already have high regard for the 77 design. I bought one for one son at Christmas since he really needs more time behind the trigger to discern whether shooting/hunting are his cup of tea, and the 77s have really become better liked by their maker. wink I wasn't very crazy about the concept that they embraced until I studied their parts diagram and owner's manual , and also handled a couple of them. There is plenty to like and the market deserves to have something good and affordable (that isn't roll-marked with Savage or Marlin smile ).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't disagree.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My big concern with the Ruger Americans is that if I buy one, I'll like it. Then I'll need another and another.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to know how Ruger decided we wanted/needed all those 16" 77s they catalog. A 16" .300 WSM???

Unless they've secretly acquired Beltone.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The guy from Lipsey's who used to post here is named Jason Cloessner.

Jason probably got so many Campfire ideas for new special runs that his head started hurting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why did he let them drop the ultralites then?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm

What would you do with a rifle that malfunctioned on a hunt?

Doesn't matter how much a rifle costs...if it malfunctions it's a POS.

I'd probably get it fixed!But thats just me. I dont worry about things like bolt handles falling off ,safeties freezing up or scopes failing. schitt is going to happen once in a while know matter what!!!

I'd hunt an American any day!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Guess I'm a snob,don't want one or even be seen with one in my hands.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

IMHO those are the classiest 77s ever, especially the all steel Hawkeyes. I had a Mk1 .308 for a while. Letting it go was one in a long list of stupid gun decisions I've made.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Guess I'm a snob,don't want one or even be seen with one in my hands.

+1�would rather be seen with a homemade cobble job.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Jason probably got so many Campfire ideas for new special runs that his head started hurting.

He posts over on the Ruger Forum. Gathering ideas as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EdM

I gotta find this guy. I have a great idea for him.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Because they balanced like schit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by EdM

I gotta find this guy. I have a great idea for him.

Travis

I'd like to have an American in 6.5 Creedmoore

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not if you rebarrel with a heavier/longer barrel!

Exactly like the Remington 7s with 18.5" and 20" barrels.

That said, some people are more sensitive, or maybe "in tune", to their firearms' balance than others and for those who aren't cognizant, balance may not even be a component of the package that they recognize or consider.

I've long felt that the long action 77 RSIs balance noticeably better than their short action brothers, while others see no recognizable difference.

Jeff

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,522,983
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.