Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
BWalker he is hinge cutting so I hope is not going to attempt that on any decent sized hardwoods since by my research I wouldn't mess with hinge cutting on anything more than saplings because the risk of a barber chair is very high. Which seems to be the opinion on other logging arborist forums as well. I will not argue with you that a 372 is one heck of a saw ported makes it even better but I dont think he needs something of that size or anything in the 60-70 cc range for what he is doing.

I cut and burn 10-12+ cords of firewood a year and use a ms271 (50cc) farm/ranch saw and it does the job just fine. Do a I want an ms441 absolutely but I cant stomach the $900 price tag right now when the 271 is doing the job for me and I rather spend that $900 on a new rifle or shotgun.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buy the lightest new Stihl easy start so your gal can use it. My gal can't drag my 072 around.
Cisco

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MS 170 for the small stuff and a MS 390 for the big stuff, Works well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the farm boss ms290 is a good all around saw. not the lightest or the most powerful, but i have one with an 18" bar that is great for limbing, felling and logging. i use it to cut mainly white oak at my camp in PA and it is great. i got it, a case, oil, mix and an extra commercial chain for right around 4 bills about 3 years ago. i have cut probably 10-15 cords of big white oak with it since and it is perfect.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an 027, o39 and 441 magnum, all have there places, but like most things n life bigger is better, if I find myself
just walking and doing habitat work the 441 goes with me, its beast of a saw that is a pleasure to run.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jimy; 02/24/14.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, bumping an older thread because I finally decided on a saw.

As mentioned in the OP, I am mainly looking to use the saw for hinge cutting and habitat control. I won't be cutting cords of firewood, but will have to tackle some storm clean-up and maintenance duties. For the most part, it will mainly be used to hinge cut and create bedding areas on the farm.

I wanted to buy a 16” model, but many of them you were topped out with a 16” bar. I opted for the Stihl MS251-CBE.

It isn’t “light weight” but it handles well. It has an 18” bar, but can use a 16” with more power easily. Many guys use this model with a 20” bar, but I feel that is pushing it. This model should handle anything I need.

Stihl MS251-CBE

I haven't had a chance to use it, but it will get a work out this weekend.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

As always, you guys rock!

[Linked Image]

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No guns. No peace. No safety.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
I will lend a Farm Boss but my Dolmar is locked up out of sight.
Now there is a man that knows what a good saw is.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Took you long enough to decide! smile

Someone will be along shortly to tell you you are wrong, too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as a light climbing saw if you can find a used MS200 T grab it, You be hard pressed to find another saw in that catagory with as much nuts(that was before EPA and emissions took away it's power in the 201)….Don't think you'd go wrong with the farm/Ranch Stihls for larger wood although I have worked to death and old Husqvarna 51 and it does the job to this day along with the commercial line of Stihls.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am just learning about this so give me a break.
I cut firewood for my Heatmaster wood fired boiler.
I think 12-14 cords per year will be about it to heat my house and outbuilding.
I bought a Farm Boss with 20 inch bar.
It was a hard starting bitch until I bought a new spark plug now it is fine.
I have learned to stop and sharpen the chain as often as needed otherwise you are just wasting time.
I don't know what hinge cutting is
and I don't know where to buy chaps.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You got to learn how to start a stihl , I,ve got a little 192T and a sthil 65bg leaf blower sometimes them *****'s give me fits starting , my 345 and 372xp husky saws start right up every time

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Took you long enough to decide! smile

Someone will be along shortly to tell you you are wrong, too.

It did take a while as we ran out of time to hinge cut last year.We spent the majority of our time establishing foot plots and planting fruit trees, as well as renovating an old farmhouse into a hunting camp.

Now is the prime time to hinge cut, so that brings us to now.

My problem was and still is trying to use one saw for all purposes. I am smart enough to realize I may need two saws. One for the bigger stuff and a arborist (climbing) saw for much of the hinge cutting. The MS251 may wear me out after a day of hinge cutting.

Time will tell.

....and I'm sure I will have made the wrong decision in other's eyes.
The smartest thing I did was went and handled the saws for myself. I chose the one that fit me the best.

Last edited by SteelCityArcher; 02/16/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A still dealer, arborist supply shop retail or on line will certainly carry what you need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stihl

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What ever brand or size one chooses the single most important thing with saws and such now days is to find a source and ALWAYS use fuel containing NO ETHNOL .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For what you're asking of a saw, I think you made a good choice. Get a hand file guide, read up on how to do it to keep your cutters sharp. Use Stabil or Seafoam in your fuel if you won't use it right away.

Previously mentioned, but I would second getting a set of chaps. Less than $100.00 and it could save a bundle on an ER visit. If you run a saw long enough, you'll be glad you have them on.

And try to find a Poulan "Wild Thing" on the cheap from Craigslist for your lend out saw.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good advice of the file and chaps. I once had a "widow-maker" fall and hit me while trimming tree stand shooting lanes and that taught me a big lesson on always wearing a hard hat also.

I've never used the Seafoam, but I have used Stabil regularly in my Redmax brushcutter.

Thanks for the advice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 6 Stihl chainsaws, and use each of them ever year, a 026, MS261, MS362, 039, MS441, and a 066. I have to cut 6 cords+ every year.

In my opinion, the best saw for you would be either a GOOD used 026, or a new MS261. That being said, which ever one you choose, make sure it has a 20" bar.

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This has all been too confusing, buy a Husky.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Put 1 oz of SeaFoam per gallon right in the gas can. It will let the gas keep for a LONG time...And don't let anything ethenol near the dern thing! Premium gas only in small motors, IME/IMO.

I do not have a huge need for a 'good' saw, so I have a Poulan Pro 20". I was sure glad I had the bigger saw in Oct 13 when we had the 'storm of the century' out here. Snow made a mess of things...trees everywhere. We had a huge Elm in the backyard that didn't handle the weight and snow too well...

When the need surfaces, I will buy a better saw. But my Poulan will work for 2-3 racks of wood I cut a year for camping and the home fire-pit.

Funny thing is, I have a nice 18" Stihl at my parents house for the taking if I wanted it. Dad got rid of the wood stove after I went to Basic...the old saw doesn't do much for him at all anymore. Maybe it will make it's way back to me one of these years...

Actually, I may just go Pawn Shop hopping for a decent Stihl, McCulloch or Husky...just because. I am pretty good at getting small motors to run. I usually find at least 2-3 lawnmowers on the curb a year and fix em up for play money...a fun pass time for me.

Anywho, sounds like you made a good choice...Have fun and be safe. I agree, the helmet, chaps, eye and ear protection is a must...

Last edited by Pahntr760; 02/16/15.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (338reddog, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 17 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.