Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
"SAVAGE NEVER SAY NEVER" !!!! grin thats why collecting these rifles is fun ,entertaining !!! grin grin

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Mad Dog
The photo you see was first used on the 1922 Savage-Stevens
calendar as far as I know I am looking at mine now.Ther are several listings for the T7 mount by Savage!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug, what picture? The 1922 with the mule deer on top? PS... didn't Winchester use the upper part on one of their later calendars, late 40's?

I'm pretty sure the T-7 mount was not made in 1922. Weaver didn't have a scope for it at that time.

There is only around 10,000 rifles in the range of the first S-7 mount till Savage stopped logging serial numbers. I don't know of anyone lettering a D&T'ed rifle in that range. Another item for the bucket list.

Last edited by Rick99; 02/20/14.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
True. It's possible that the very first post war Rs had 22 inch barrels and this fatter flatter forearm. A possibility I had not considered.
For whatever reason they decided they didn't like the configuration and they went to 24" barrels and the what we know as the standard post war R forearm. An interesting theory. Unfortunately the explanation is lost to history and we are left only to speculate.
Still it's hard for me to think of them as Rs cause they really aren't the same gun. I like "RT" better. Just me

If demand for Savage rifles was like most everything else post WWII, I can see the desire for the factory to simplify production by making both EG and R barrels the same length.

LOL
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Didn't mean to start anything. Sure is nice though seeing grown men state their opinion w/no name calling or cursing. That's why I like this forum. I can't believe there were so many changes and modifications over the years. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog

Somebody came up with the hybrid "RT" and it stuck. You can call them a balony sandwich, the name isn't important.

Yet, you've done some measuring and comparing and the forearms are not T forearms, so why would anyone call it an "RT"?

I think what happened is that when they started making the R's and they wanted the new look that this was it and they made very few of them before they slimmed the forearms back down to what the post war R's look like normally. So why not just call them a model R? Bet if they had records that that's what it would letter as.

I agree with you and thus why I asked if it was confirmed that Savage cataloged the R in 1946, which Rory confirmed and which JTC has stated in several letters to me.

I think we should call it the Savage Model 99MD just for you.

To add to the idea that even Savage didn't know what it was, I have one at 430,xxx in my records that had EG stamped into the front of the receiver. I know that I they stamped the front of the receivers with EG as late as 445,xxx as I owned one.

Adding to the idea that this was a unique model, a handful of the others after 430xxx were stamped with a 5 on the front of the receiver. As we know, pre-war Rs were all stamped with an 8.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Has no one ever lettered an RT is this serial range? JTC indicates that the factory records showed the model.

What model!!!!!!!!

I think Drew was inferring that a factory letter would show what model it actually was, rather than lettering as an RT.

But to the best of my knowledge, there are no records for the 40's. On my 1945 rifle, all he was able to find was a shipping invoice listing the serial number. He knew it was a 99EG in 300 because I told him so.

Correct. My letter is from 2008 and I have no idea what I sent him in terms of information but the letter states

"What I did find specific to your rifle is that it was shipped against factory shipping order #80295 and that it is a Model 99-EG, built in .300 Savage Caliber. Using information from the company's record of shipments, this occurred sometime in late 1944."

In another letter from him for a 1951 production rifle that did not have any additional information in the factory logs other than when it shipped, he stated "From the information that you provided, this is a model 99-EG..."

I have seen (and have) numerous letters in which JTC always refers to "the information that you provided" and I always assumed he was very careful to do this to not mislead someone later if he was provided bad info.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True. It's possible that the very first post war Rs had 22 inch barrels and ...

For whatever reason they decided they didn't like the configuration and they went to 24" barrels

In my records of the RTs, I have one with a 20" barrel in 30-30 and one even earlier than that one in 300 with a 24" barrel. Both of these were listings from GB so I can not confirm either way but its interesting that there are several in 300 with 22" barrels after the 24" one. I also have one other 24" 300 near the highest in the records.

Old post on the 30-30 with 20" barrel here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2881160/2

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes as I recall we have seen some variability in barrel lengths.

Most however had 22" barrels IIRC.

The point I was trying to make is that post war R's as we know them, all had 24" barrels and it was not just a different forearm that makes this (R) a different creature than the "RT". It's not a just post war R with a pre war T stock screwed on it. There is more to it than that.

Wether you call it an early R or an RT or a baloney sandwich...it's clearly not the same gun (configuration) as the post war R.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The point I was trying to make is that post war R's as we know them, all had 24" barrels and it was not just a different forearm that makes this (R) a different creature than the "RT". It's not a just post war R with a pre war T stock screwed on it. There is more to it than that.

Wether you call it an early R or an RT or a baloney sandwich...it's clearly not the same gun (configuration) as the post war R.

This is especially clear, given the fact that a lot of the RT rifles are chambered in 30-30, a caliber that almost no pre-war R's and no post-war R's were made in.

Rod

Last edited by Phil99; 02/21/14.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
So, who's on first?

My head is spinning!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The speigels were one thing because we can verify their originality.

The problem with these weird looking R's is that we can't prove they were a model or just a parts use up. If it was a parts use up where the heck did those forearms come from???? Nope, I think Savage started something and then just modified the forearm to the post war R we see now and the other R's were just a start run and someone didn't like them.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a valid guess and one I wouldn't be surprised at... but why would there be a 3 year gap between the RT's and postwar R's then?

It's just one of those things we have to wait and watch for any documentation to explain it. We couldn't explain the Speigels until the catalog page was found. Wouldn't be surprised to have somebody find a catalog page for these.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed Joe... probably went to the 24" barrel and limited chambering for cost savings and commonality with the EG when they moved plants.

Andrew
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The one in the add Caloun put up was done by
Louis Agassiz Fuertes the Winchester was done by
Phillip Godwin and they are not alike as to the t7 all I ment was that their are several adds showing and stateing the Savage
would drill and tap a 99 for that mount a time frame was not
offered by me!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
Last made in 1945 ........that I am aware of.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LATE to the game here but Jimmy and I disagree I have a 30-30 from 43-44 cant remember ser no right now but SHE's A pretty nice mater stake ,so there MMMMmmmadog grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never mind posting pics of the gun Norm, post a pic of the letter, then I'll believe what I read.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug, I understand what you posted, now. Thanks.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never mind posting pics of the gun Norm, post a pic of the letter, then I'll believe what I read.

Joe
I understand a letter means alot to verify, How ever i have several never lettered from 415,000 to 446,000 So From 1941 to 1945-56 according to Serial Number Gathered over the years. with 22Inch and 24inch B.L. In Non Checked and Checked E.G.'s

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sayin:

how can we say that these guns are from such and such a year when there are no records showing when these guns were accepted?

All there is is a shipping date, so more or less gathering serial numbers is pointless on these guns because everyone here would just be guessing on an acceptance date.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 45 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,164
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.