Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8618078 02/24/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They taste good but do they do much for us energy wise?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Food is energy, so yes.

It's not a cup of coffee...

That said, I won't ever eat another commercial-made energy bar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clif Builders Bars do the trick for me; I always have some in my pack. Good protein boost, taste good, and fairly filling.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by remfak
Clif Builders Bars do the trick for me; I always have some in my pack. Good protein boost, taste good, and fairly filling.

I like 'em. I ate so many of 'em I had to quit for awhile. The Zone as well. So do MetRx bars, the big ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clif is building a new factory here. They plan to start production in '16. Apparently they're selling a lot of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hope they are not bad for you. I buy them by the box. That and lean muscle bars which are a meal when it comes to calories.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They have a lot of sugar which causes plaque in the arteries.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They have a lot of sugar which causes plaque in the arteries.

Yes, and no. The "simple" answer is to read Dr. Barry Sears' book, "Mastering the Zone".

Yes, sugar, consumed in excess WILL clog an artery. Problem is, what constitutes "excess"? The Zone Diet answers that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like cliff bars when hunting and they are my favorite bar. But I like pemmican bars for breakfast cause way more calories and I prefer trail mix cause it has more fat. I also eat a lot of Lara bars for snacks at work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find I expend a lot of energy trying to eat one when temps plummet. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
White chocolate macadamia yum

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
White chocolate macadamia yum

Yum is the word . My daughter is partial to the chocolate mint one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really, really like some of the flavors. Others not so much. On one trip I had a stove go tits up so for almost two days all I had were Cliff bars and few bite size Snickers. Bound up does not even begin to describe my condition at the end of that!

Skane- Below freezing I'm almost convinced they are like celery! Takes more calories to eat/digest than they give. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
I find I expend a lot of energy trying to eat one when temps plummet. smile

Mule deer trip, 2012. They were part of my pre-packaged daily breakfasts. Early morning and low temps, I started putting them in my pocket as I got up otherwise it was impossible to eat them. Ended up with each next morning's bar in my bag overnight. I'd then put it in my pocket and eat it last thing before leaving camp. Kept half in my pocket for mid-day snack.
This and the fact they are heavy if you're counting ounces, and IMO not that great, sort of sent me looking for alternatives.
I carry dried fruit like cranberries, almonds, pita and peanut butter, trail mix, cheese, etc. No real weight savings but much better variety.

Chocolate covered Power Bars are much better IMO if you're just burning calories.

Just a lot of alternatives to Clif Bars. I've eaten a lot of them and well, they've sort of been cast aside from my routine.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I eat a lot of mixed nuts. When I'm hunting from the truck, I carry peanuts in the shell. Shelling them while I'm sitting & glassing slows me down so I don't eat so much. The problem with both nuts and peanuts is that they give me the farts so I need to be extra careful to hunt into the wind, both for the game and my hunting partners.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by snubbie
I carry dried fruit like cranberries, almonds, pita and peanut butter, trail mix, cheese, etc. No real weight savings but much better variety.

Check out Kind Bars and Probars, I bet you'd like 'em. Kind bars are a mix of dried fruit and nuts, Probars have those and oats. Probars go about 380 calories per bar, and they're not that big.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A cup of coffee and a Clif bar are my usual breakfast. I usually alternate between a bar and oatmeal. Keeps it interesting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Try to have a package of Mission Figs, either in the truck or pack.
Another item I eat more than a little.

Last edited by battue; 02/25/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I eat a lot of mixed nuts. When I'm hunting from the truck, I carry peanuts in the shell. Shelling them while I'm sitting & glassing slows me down so I don't eat so much. The problem with both nuts and peanuts is that they give me the farts so I need to be extra careful to hunt into the wind, both for the game and my hunting partners.

This.

I also managed to make a rather decent pemmican-type bar out of chocolate that held together well in warm temperatures (upper 70's).

Now, I was on a no-carb diet when I created this recipe, but this could be modified for a sweeter taste.
  • In a double boiler, melt 1 package of 99% cocoa chocolate. Add some semi-sweet chocolate chips for a hint of sweetness.
  • Add berries (raisins, craisins, dried blueberries, etc)
  • Add chopped nuts (walnuts, cashews, peanuts, almonds)
  • Stir together. Then add coconut flour (I think this is what helps prevent melting).
  • Pour into wax lined container (a 9"x9" pan) and allow to cool until firm. Cut into bars.

I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements, but I eyeballed everything and it turned out good. My father tried some (he wasn't on a low-carb diet) and he thought they were pretty decent as well. 'Course he might've just being nice.

A lot of fat (high calories) some protein, fiber, and fairly low carb. Like I said you could add sugar (honey might be good) to bring the carb content up.

These bars were good with a cup of bulletproof coffee (coffee + coconut oil)

Last edited by RiesigJay; 02/25/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When used in MODERATION, dark chocolate can lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, and reduce hardening of the arteries. I don't know what the difference is, but only the DARK will do that, not the light.
So, when whumping up your recipe, get the dark chips.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,614
Posts18,532,896
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.