Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old CVA muzzleloader my folks game me when I was 12, the stock is old and very cheap, the barrel was neglected for 4 years while I was in the military so it could do to be replaced probably. I'll keep the originals of course, but I was thinking of replacing the stock and the barrel. The problem is I don't know where to find an in letted stock or replacement barrel and ramrod, does anyone recommend a starting point, or possible hurdles I would have to overcome? it is currently a percussion .50 cal. do I have the option of going to a .54? or should I stick with a .50? rate of twist? I'd like to shoot sabots or conicals with it. I'm also open to Ideas if anyone has them. what would you do?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you want to shoot sabots and conicals, you'll be better off with a .50 Caliber, much better selection and really no need to go bigger. 28 Twist is the standard for those. I'm not familiar with CVA barrels, but Green Mountain had a good selection for TCs last time I checked.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure they are all kinda standard, I'll look at the green mountain.

any advice on wood? I'm not really patient when it comes to inletting or shaping. finishing is no problem, I'm just not a sculptor by any means

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
green mountains website shows all the .50's with a 1:70" twist, seems awful slow

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

what Rifle do you have Colorado ?

as to the barrel . there is more to it then just shopping for a barrel . see what you chose must also be fit to your stock or a new stock built for it . so even if you buy a new barrel that is the same across the flats as the one you have ., it must then be breeched to fit your stock OR breech to fit your tang if it�s a hooked breech . Also all underlugs must match .
If you cant do that yourself then you must look for a drop in barrel for your specific rifle . IE what rifle do you have . TC , CVA , Traditions , Pedersoli, Navy Arms�� and what model .

Now as to wood for a new stock .
that�s simple , Maple be it red , big leaf , or either of the two hard maples or Walnut , English , black or any number of European walnuts

Where to get it . Well your saying your probably wouldn�t be patient enough for inletting so that then reduces your choices to pre-carves . Which then must be made to fit all your parts on your gun .
So again we are back to what gun you have . There are a few places that make replacement stocks for TC�s and some of the Pedersoli . but few to non who make replacements for the others . However there are many who make pre carves . But your going to have to inlet the parts .

if you use your same barrel or a drop in barrel . You could just send your stock to a custom stock maker and have them duplicate your stock in your choice of wood . But even then you will have to do the final fitting as most times they don�t

So that takes you to a custom maker to make you a stock and since your thinking of a new barrel , really build you a new gun in whats called �In the White � using a new barrel and your other parts .
. I do that , in fact I do that a lot . But it costs and I will tell you up front it would be next year before I could get even consider taking another customer , im just that far behind .

But here are some of my custom restocks.
This is a restock Jukar Kentucky rifle . With new lock and triggers
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here is a CVA MT rifle stock that i did
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I understand the attachment to your old rifle, but you'd be better off hunting down another CVA like yours and scavenging the parts you need. I don't know of anyone that offers finish inletted replacement stocks for CVA. Ditto for the barrel. You can screw a new one on your old breech plug/tang but you will have to set it up for the stock wedges/pins, sight dovetails and ramrod thimbles. Basicaly you would be building a custom rifle around your old lock. Track of the Wolf offer all kinds of barrels and stocks but nothing drop in for your CVA.

Track of the Wolf

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10-4, all I needed to know!
I'll stick with the inlines and throw this thing in the closet.
thanks guys.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by captchee

what Rifle do you have Colorado ?

as to the barrel . there is more to it then just shopping for a barrel . see what you chose must also be fit to your stock or a new stock built for it . so even if you buy a new barrel that is the same across the flats as the one you have ., it must then be breeched to fit your stock OR breech to fit your tang if it�s a hooked breech . Also all underlugs must match .
If you cant do that yourself then you must look for a drop in barrel for your specific rifle . IE what rifle do you have . TC , CVA , Traditions , Pedersoli, Navy Arms�� and what model .

Now as to wood for a new stock .
that�s simple , Maple be it red , big leaf , or either of the two hard maples or Walnut , English , black or any number of European walnuts

Where to get it . Well your saying your probably wouldn�t be patient enough for inletting so that then reduces your choices to pre-carves . Which then must be made to fit all your parts on your gun .
So again we are back to what gun you have . There are a few places that make replacement stocks for TC�s and some of the Pedersoli . but few to non who make replacements for the others . However there are many who make pre carves . But your going to have to inlet the parts .

if you use your same barrel or a drop in barrel . You could just send your stock to a custom stock maker and have them duplicate your stock in your choice of wood . But even then you will have to do the final fitting as most times they don�t

So that takes you to a custom maker to make you a stock and since your thinking of a new barrel , really build you a new gun in whats called �In the White � using a new barrel and your other parts .
. I do that , in fact I do that a lot . But it costs and I will tell you up front it would be next year before I could get even consider taking another customer , im just that far behind .

But here are some of my custom restocks.
This is a restock Jukar Kentucky rifle . With new lock and triggers
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

here is a CVA MT rifle stock that i did
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Beautiful!

Buy once, cry once.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Deer Creek Products out of indiana will have the stuff you need plus they are not expensive for a new barrel depending what model you have and if they still have the barrel available.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
10-4,
I'll stick with the inlines and throw this thing in the closet.

OH NO, don't walk into the light!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I kill around 8-10 deer a year with inline muzzleloaders, this one would be one to hand down to my son and use it every so often when I want to go traditional. accuracy with it is so-so now. I have killed a few deer with it in the past though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet if you clean it up you'll find it shoots just fine. A CVA isn't worth putting much work or money into. The locks and triggers are crummy. Just clean it up and shoot it.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bigblock455
Deer Creek Products out of indiana will have the stuff you need plus they are not expensive for a new barrel depending what model you have and if they still have the barrel available.

Here is good advice. Some years back Deer Creek bought the existing CVA inventory and may have the exact factory parts you are looking for. It is a mom and pop operation with one phone line, so be patient when calling. I lost their phone number when I got a new phone and all my numbers did not transfer. Tech support at CVA is where I got their number to begin with.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yep i would bet Deer Creek would have the needed parts .

But then if your going to be replacing the locks or triggers , your going to be replacing them with the same parts which as was mentioned , are often lacking in quality
As to what a given brand is worth or not , that�s up to the person who owns it and what their value is . Often times with these its not just about a monetary value . a lot of times the guns were kits and put together by dads and sons . Other times its folks first gun .
Still other times it is monetary as the gun was bough cheep . The one I posted of the Jukar Kentucky restock was purchased for 5 .00 after the PO got fed up with un reliable ignition and was ready to chuck it down a hill . When it did fire , it was very accurate . So the owner bought it . Brought it to me to rebuild . New stock made from a blank . Sliding patch box , new lock , davis triggers labor and shipping 2 ways and he is still into it far less then the cost of a completed semi custom piece and only slightly more then the cost of buying the parts to make a semi custom.

The biggest cost is shop time in making the stock . which if I can ever get a break long enough ill have the remedied as well . But if a person can make their own stock they wouldn�t be into a cost anymore then buying say a new Traditions rifle and you get much better parts ..

So again it depends on what someone wants to do . Really no different then sinking a few hundred into rebuilding a 150.00 inline OR for that mater doing any real amount of shooting from one

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'd try refinishing the stock and cleaning up the barrel first and see how it looks and shoots. Depending on how that goes I'd look at Track of the Wolf and Dixie gun works for parts. Might have to look elsewhere too depending on what ya need. Davis makes some good replacement triggers that should drop in a CVA. If you end up getting a new barrel I would go .54.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Davis doesnt make a trigger set that will drop into any CVA ,Jukar, Traditions .... you will eather have to modify the trigger plate or the inlet .
also depending on the rifle , you may end up changing the trigger guard

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
never had any trouble with a trigger on a cva sidelock nor the lock, unless it was a flintlock and even then it was just a simple matter of rehardening a frizzen.

Telling a guy to replace triggers,lock, refinish his stock is just wasting his money without knowing what the real problem is with the rifle.

Hell, If I knew what model it was I'd offer to buy it and redo it for myself.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by captchee
Davis doesnt make a trigger set that will drop into any CVA ,Jukar, Traditions .... you will eather have to modify the trigger plate or the inlet .
also depending on the rifle , you may end up changing the trigger guard

That stinks. I know they will drop into a Lyman. The Davis site is pretty vague on what others they will fit in.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455

Telling a guy to replace triggers,lock, refinish his stock is just wasting his money without knowing what the real problem is with the rifle.

I agree. Without pictures or more information though, I would go the route of doing things myself rather than going out and buying a whole bunch of new parts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
i dont recal him saying what rifle he had unless its in another thread somewhere. nore metioning anything other then possable issues with the barrel

Last edited by captchee; 03/02/14.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.