Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Originally Posted by Brad
I find a cane far more useful and versatile.
Here's a sampling of what I use:

Plus, one's arms are lower with a cane, reducing fatigue.

I find a cane is useful for my grandma, when she goes to the restroom.
Really. A cane?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I find canes would be somewhat 'arcane' on backpack-hunting goat hunts.

But that's just me. What do I know�?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
I find a cane is useful for my grandma, when she goes to the restroom.
Really. A cane?

Your grandma uses a cane like this?

She must be as amazing as you...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
SMC in Ferndale, WA makes a 100cm axe. The pick is long and the adze/scoop is pretty sharp and aggressive. I cut off about 1" of pick and blunted the adze, leaving a handy walking tool.

There are places in the west and central cascades of WA where the steepness and vegetation and moisture conspire to create treacherous footing. I've also seen it on Kodiak. Stay away, or bring and axe (and crampons...).

The extend-o models from stubai and petzl will fold just like a hiking pole will. They're not special in that regard.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've done a lot of alpine mountaineering in situations where self arrest capability was a constant necessity. So I'm very familiar with it.

I've hunted elk, deer, caribou, moose, mountain goat, and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, for four decades, and never felt that I needed to be prepared for self arrest capability. There's just not enough snow that early in the season and I don't expect to find big game animals up so high that I might need to arrest a slide on snow.

If I were ever to put myself in that situation (maybe hunting Yettis) I think I would use a ski pole with self arrest handle, as a trekking pole and a Black Diamond Whipper would be where I would start looking.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I doubt that hunters find much of a need or opportunity to arrest in fresh fallen snow by itself.

Where I hunt and have hunted, I'm far more likely to need to arrest on a steep slope of wet rotten snotgrass than on ice or snow. I've not seen such in the Rockies, but I'm sure it's there in wetter parts of the Bob or the Cabinets.

There are sheep and goat holes in AK where snowfields are permanent and glacier travel is mandatory. I've spent a lot of time on a pretty mild form of the latter, and the former waited for me at the top of the hill if I needed to change my venue, which I never did. I had axe and crampons along JIC.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Vek
Where I hunt and have hunted, I'm far more likely to need to arrest on a steep slope of wet rotten snotgrass than on ice or snow.

Yep.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've hunted Idaho's mountains for more than 50 years now and I've never had a need for crampons or an ice ax. I've hunted in plenty of snow, but the elk don't seem to go where they'd need the equipment and I go where they go. If it's that bad, there's always a safer way around it. A single trekking pole is a big help and it's plenty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Still watching the thread and taking on board the comments.

It seems there is not much "Alpine style" being done then?

I can understand that Elk and other deer would try to avoid the high mountain tops when there is heavy snow on the ground, but I thought perhaps some would be chasing sheep or goats in places where ice axe and crampons might be needed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
The Whippet is a good solution but the Petzl Snowscopic is an even better solution. I don't think they they are still available though. I believe Stubi also made a telescoping ice ax. Kind of the best of both worlds.

http://www.backcountry.com/petzl-snowscopic-axe-with-trekking-pole

Like others have said, be sure it is in hand and you have practiced a fair amount on self arrests before getting into a situation where it might be necessary.

Duncan Gilchrist, the late hunter, film maker and author was of the opinion that he didn't take crampons or ice ax on mountain hunts as they would only tempt him to go beyond where he really should. Duncan was one of the most experienced mountain hunters of our time.

My personal opinion is that if you use crampons or an ice ax to get yourself out of somewhere, rather than going farther, they make sense.
Kind of the way I look at tire chains anymore. Not to get further in but to get myself out. If I had had that same philosophy 30 years ago, I could have saved my self some terrible situations of being stuck.

That�s good advice.

If you are putting yourself into situations hunting where you need crampons and an ice axe you probably should be roped up too.

If you have never self arrested with an ice axe and crampons you should practice a bunch before you ever put yourself in a situation to do it for real. It is very hard especially with a heavy pack. Without crampons it�s even harder.

We used to go out every winter and practice. It was fun but I have lots of rips, tears and holes in my gear from that smile

Without a leash in a good fall the odds of you having a trekking pole or ice axe in your paws are pretty low anyhow.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Pete E

I can understand that Elk and other deer would try to avoid the high mountain tops when there is heavy snow on the ground, but I thought perhaps some would be chasing sheep or goats in places where ice axe and crampons might be needed?

What I use a lot for elk, deer & sheep hunting are Micro Spikes or the smaller carmpons like Kahtoola or Hillsound make. These are life savers on steep slick bear grass slopes.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What I use a lot for elk, deer & sheep hunting are Micro Spikes or the smaller carmpons like Kahtoola or Hillsound make. These are life savers on steep slick bear grass slopes.

I use the micro spikes as well. The only thing I don�t like about them is they will collect mud pretty easy and get heavy. That is if it is muddy out smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Ed is spot on with this advice.

Couple that with a sturdy cane and you're good to go laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would also add, most sheep and goat hunting isn't as rough as some would have you believe. It's above timberline mostly, and there's generally (not always) a "walk-up" climbable/non-technical route available.

I've spent a lot of time climbing with crampons and ice axe, as well as a lot of time in alpine country. I find wilderness elk hunting in blow-downs, steep timber, steep-grass one heck of a lot harder/more dangerous than the bulk of true alpine hunting.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by kenaiking

That, and they can ball up with snow in wet snow conditions.

I use the micro spikes as well. The only thing I don�t like about them is they will collect mud pretty easy and get heavy. That is if it is muddy out smile

Ed T

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've already ordered some Hillsound Trail Crampons from the US and I think will do everything I need.

Realistically I don't think I will ever need an ice axe for hunting, but might get one for winter walking..

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Depends on where you hunt goats and sheep. Getting to these two required some pretty hairy and exposed scrambling, the likes of which I've not seen on rough L48 hunts. Didn't have an axe for the sheep but did for the goat, where I used it for, among other things:

*belaying when decending to the creek from the kill site
*carving a flat bed out of sloped, packed moraine gravel
*chopping steps down a short ice face replete with coarse grit embedded rock shards in order to avoid 1/4 mile loaded detour on glacier during pack out

They're good for more than walking and arresting.

Would also add, most sheep and goat hunting isn't as rough as some would have you believe. It's above timberline mostly, and there's generally (not always) a "walk-up" climbable/non-technical route available.

I've spent a lot of time climbing with crampons and ice axe, as well as a lot of time in alpine country. I find wilderness elk hunting in blow-downs, steep timber, steep-grass one heck of a lot harder/more dangerous than the bulk of true alpine hunting.

Last edited by Vek; 03/05/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice moose.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm fairly certain a careful reading would have revealed I already said what you did...

Originally Posted by Vek

Depends on where you hunt goats and sheep. Getting to these two required some pretty hairy and exposed scrambling, the likes of which I've not seen on rough L48 hunts. Didn't have an axe for the sheep but did for the goat, where I used it for, among other things:

*belaying when decending to the creek from the kill site
*carving a flat bed out of sloped, packed moraine gravel
*chopping steps down a short ice face replete with coarse grit embedded rock shards in order to avoid 1/4 mile loaded detour on glacier during pack out

They're good for more than walking and arresting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The most dangerous stuff we have is steep solid rock slopes with loose shale on it. The shale will slide out from under you and no crampons or pole is going to stop it. It's like walking on marbles. I took a nasty fall last fall on that kind of stuff.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 32_20fan, 1badf350, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,672
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.