Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JRE11
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Sorry but the truth as he sees it, at least in this case, is false. This started when he claimed that the stock market has not kept up with inflation over the last 35 years. I don't care how many posts he has, or how few I have. Just sharing data.
There's a difference between the Dow Jones Average keeping up with inflation (which it does, barely) and average investors doing so. Factors which operate against the average investor matching that record are 1) trading fees, 2) capital gains taxes, 3) luck of the draw when you're not an insider or someone who's constantly on top of financial news, as few actually invest in the Dow Jones Average, but rather various sectors and specific stocks within it.

Do you know what mutual funds are? The average person doesn't hand pick the stocks in their portfolio. Do you understand the benefits of a Roth IRA with the tax free interest earnings? Regardless, I don't understand what your trying to suggest. Gold has not historically provided as good a return as stocks, which is a fact. No one knows the future, we can just speculate and study past performance. So what is your point in all this?
"Return on stocks" cannot be used blanketly like that, since everyone's experience with stocks is unique.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

Sorry but the truth as he sees it, at least in this case, is false. This started when he claimed that the stock market has not kept up with inflation over the last 35 years. I don't care how many posts he has, or how few I have. Just sharing data.
There's a difference between the Dow Jones Average keeping up with inflation (which it does, barely) and average investors doing so. Factors which operate against the average investor matching that record are 1) trading fees, 2) capital gains taxes, 3) luck of the draw when you're not an insider or someone who's constantly on top of financial news, as few actually invest in the Dow Jones Average, but rather various sectors and specific stocks within it.

Do you know what mutual funds are? The average person doesn't hand pick the stocks in their portfolio. Do you understand the benefits of a Roth IRA with the tax free interest earnings? Regardless, I don't understand what your trying to suggest. Gold has not historically provided as good a return as stocks, which is a fact. No one knows the future, we can just speculate and study past performance. So what is your point in all this?
"Return on stocks" cannot be used blanketly like that, since everyone's experience with stocks is unique.

Unique, but very similar to overall market performance if your diversified in hundreds of stocks in a mutual fund.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Unique, but very similar to overall market performance if your diversified in hundreds of stocks in a mutual fund.
I lost 75% of my savings, that I had in a technology mutual fund, when the Dot-Com Crash of 2001 hit. Mustn't it have been awful for folks who were just going into retirement at that time?

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Gee, the Dow is back up by 200 points today. And the apologies of this threads' naysayers?

<crickets>

Faith in Zer o has returned.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

I lost 75% of my savings, that I had in a technology mutual fund, when the Dot-Com Crash of 2001 hit. Mustn't it have been awful for folks who were just going into retirement at that time?

Yes, but if they were investing like you were then it was their own fault. 75% of your savings in one place is irresponsible if you subscribe to modern portfolio theory. You learned a lesson the hard way, but to extrapolate that ALL stocks, or ALL mutual funds or THE ENTIRE market will ALWAYS behave like that fund you owned is incorrect. I understand that you march to a different drummer, (and I have no problem with that) but understand that some of us chose our own path for (I think) a number of very valid reasons.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
24hcf has been home to end-timers for quite a while. Economically, politically, and biologically (remember all the H1N1 kerfuffle around here?)
One day, they'll be right, and we'll never hear the end of it.
Until then, they have been and are wrong-o.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I'm sure it was painful to go through that dot com crash. It caught a lot of people, who thought they were making a fortune with the run-ups they had prior to the pop. I was in the CG, and my supervisor kept trying to get me to invest in funds in the tech sector. He showed me fund after fund where he was getting a steady 20% for several years. Well, even back then I knew that it was impossible for that to be sustained. Pop.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
That sounds like the Janus Global Tech Fund (JAGTX). From the high in March 2000 to the low in mid 2002 it lost 75% of it's value. In order to realize a 75% loss in your portfolio you would of had to violate the principles of diversification by investing into a concentrated sector fund, buy in at the all time high, and sell out at the all time low.

So let me ask, how did you pick this fund??

Were you chasing the previous years 211% return expecting it to continue at that rate for another 5 years???

Performance chasing is perhaps the worst way to pick a mutual fund. Those past performances numbers are someone else's past returns, not your future returns.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Right again, EdM. My wife and I started investing in mutuals back in 1974. We began putting in $100 a month. (Doesn't sound like much, but an Air Force captain back then earned only $850/mo.) Those funds paid for two college educations, two weddings, a mortgage, and all the taxes incurred by their own increase. They were still worth well over a half million when we came into a sizable inheritance of stocks a few years ago. (Which my late FIL started buying 60 years ago.)

So it can be done in the stock market. By small-time investors.

I was fortunate having a Father, a 37 year scaffold builder, that pushed me to give up my first two years salary increases when I started my career. Not easy given the poor boy life I had in college. "Invest it now, line out then start to enjoy your raises". Exactly what I did, this in 1985/86, though always maximizing the IRS limit on the 401k and eventually getting to where I could put away more than the 401k limits. All I can suggest to others is to get their children saving early, at least. The next step for a young one not wanting or able to chase their investments would be investing in a target date based mutual fund via a Fidelity or similar account. Do nothing but the latter starting young and they will be in pretty good shape when they look to retirement. My two bits that I am "working" on my sons, which ain't easy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Everyone has their own ideas about investing and that's super duper IMO, even when we disagree. Market investors look like geniuses when there's a market runup, and look not so smart when there's a crash/downturn. Same goes for my theory of making it in the business climate I'm in, in the booming oil patch. I like the 150% annual return I'm getting with frac tanks, water haulers, and O&G investments. Beats the markets right now every day of the week.

Right now, perhaps. I lived and left West Texas oil in 1997. Boom or bust as they say. So, yes, 150% a year is great, just depends on the number of years. I am guessing part of that annual return includes your income as opposed to return on investment?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by isaac
Yes, the Dow went down 175ish today - from a near all-time high. Less than a 1% drop. If that knots your knickers, you have no business investing in anything.

==========

It had to be said. Thanks Rocky.

We've had at least 20 of these posts the last 6 years. Then, a week later there's a post as to the great day the market has had while gold is dropping.

Repeat then repeat.

==============

Go figure!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
That sounds like the Janus Global Tech Fund (JAGTX). From the high in March 2000 to the low in mid 2002 it lost 75% of it's value. In order to realize a 75% loss in your portfolio you would of had to violate the principles of diversification by investing into a concentrated sector fund, buy in at the all time high, and sell out at the all time low.

Were you chasing the previous years 211% return expecting it to continue at that rate for another 5 years???

Performance chasing is perhaps the worst way to pick a mutual fund. Those past performances numbers are someone else's past returns, not your future returns.
I did just what you suggested, but was far from the only one who did.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Good call Antelope_Sniper. I try to avoid buying at the absolute peak and selling at the absolute bottom.

Of course TRH wouldn't have just googled "losses in the tech bubble" and posted he lost the worst case scenario, would he?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Everyone has their own ideas about investing and that's super duper IMO, even when we disagree. Market investors look like geniuses when there's a market runup, and look not so smart when there's a crash/downturn. Same goes for my theory of making it in the business climate I'm in, in the booming oil patch. I like the 150% annual return I'm getting with frac tanks, water haulers, and O&G investments. Beats the markets right now every day of the week.

Right now, perhaps. I lived and left West Texas oil in 1997. Boom or bust as they say. So, yes, 150% a year is great, just depends on the number of years. I am guessing part of that annual return includes your income as opposed to return on investment?

Negative. If there were enough dependable drivers to be found, I'd have 50 water hauler rigs, I can tell you that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good call Antelope_Sniper. I try to avoid buying at the absolute peak and selling at the absolute bottom.

Of course TRH wouldn't have just googled "losses in the tech bubble" and posted he lost the worst case scenario, would he?

Calvin, thanks. Actually I have no reason to believe he just googled it. I've dealt with many a investors who did exactly what I described, despite our best guidance to the contrary.

They saw the 211% returns for 1999 and greed kicked in and they had to buy.

After the 75% decline, the fear kicked in and they had to sell.

After such an experience during recessionary times you can see how a person might turn to alternative investments such as Gold.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Actually I have no reason to believe he just googled it. I've dealt with many a investors who did exactly what I described, despite our best guidance to the contrary.

They saw the 211% returns for 1999 and greed kicked in and they had to buy.

After the 75% decline, the fear kicked in and they had to sell.

After such an experience during recessionary times you can see how a person might turn to alternative investments such as Gold.
My best friend in high school inherited, at the age of sixteen, a little over $300,000.00 in stocks from his grandmother. The will stipulated, however, that the portfolio would remain out of his control till he was 21, and under the control of a professional money manager assigned by her till then. By the time he was 21, all that was left was a little over $50,000. The money manager had made a series of bad picks.

Such cases abound.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The money manager had made a series of bad picks.
That, or lined his own pockets. Naw, a money manager would never do such a thing.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TRnCO
The money manager had made a series of bad picks.
That, or lined his own pockets. Naw, a money manager would never do such a thing.
That, or perhaps he made a series of bad picks with his own money (or that of a "big fish" client), but through the magic of creative record keeping, the bad picks came to be made with my friend's portfolio. I wouldn't be surprised.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
More stories from TRH.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My best friend in high school inherited, at the age of sixteen, a little over $300,000.00 in stocks from his grandmother. The will stipulated, however, that the portfolio would remain out of his control till he was 21, and under the control of a professional money manager assigned by her till then. By the time he was 21, all that was left was a little over $50,000. The money manager had made a series of bad picks.

Such cases abound.

That would be a civil, if not a criminal case, either to be covered by errors and omissions insurance, or by going to jail. Managing money in trust comes with some pretty strong requisites.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.