-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Step son is on the carrier George W. Bush and says they will have a chance to buy Turkish shotguns next week. Told him I would ask you fine folks for advice. High end would probably not work for him, as he is expecting our first grandchild in June.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a Savage Gold Wing in 28 gauge last year, no complaints. It is the one without the funky gold bird on the side. Action is very tight but I think it will work itself into a smoother affair with time. The choke tubes are a challenge, there is quite a bit of scrap in the threads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I cannot find fault at the price with my 20ga, Yildiz O/U. About $450 over here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They are probably going to be able to pick up HUGLU shotguns. Been down the same road as your son. I have a couple that I picked up while in the service and I am very happy I took the opportunity.

They are very well priced when bought in Turkey. Most will be the standard models that they import for CZ but for much less. If he is lucky he might be able to pick out some of their smaller runs that will be a step above in wood and engraving quality.

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Step son is on the carrier George W. Bush and says they will have a chance to buy Turkish shotguns next week. Told him I would ask you fine folks for advice. High end would probably not work for him, as he is expecting our first grandchild in June.

The Huglu's are a good deal over there and a pretty well put together gun for the $. My time there is getting close to a decade ago. Some very nice wood and metalwork upgrades are fraction of the price here and part of the fun of the culture is the negotiating.

Make sure that he works with whomever official (MWR maybe) on the ship is working the deal and does not go off on his own or with someone "who has done this before" for the purchase as they will also handle the storage and import paperwork after they get back to Norfolk. That was the biggest pain after I got back as I flew a jet off the boat and didn't ride the boat back into port. It took me a couple months to get the gun.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hopefully he can check it over well. I had a CZ side x side made by Huglu. It had a very stiff safety/selector. Took it to the range and it would fire only one barrel. The trigger would not reset. After a couple of tries it started to fire upon closing the action.

Took over four months to get it back from CZ. No longer fired upon closing but the trigger was very heavy and reset was still not 100%.

Just a sample of one, but something to watch for.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by haverluk
They are probably going to be able to pick up HUGLU shotguns. Been down the same road as your son. I have a couple that I picked up while in the service and I am very happy I took the opportunity.

They are very well priced when bought in Turkey. Most will be the standard models that they import for CZ but for much less. If he is lucky he might be able to pick out some of their smaller runs that will be a step above in wood and engraving quality.

This. I've owned several and over there they are even a better deal. One word of caution though. Thanks to klinton, bringing them in gets a lot more complicated, meaning whoever is in charge of the buy for the ship needs to contact US Customs and obtain an import licence. Big PITA and it held us up for weeks and they make it purposely difficult. Eventually I said Phugg it and released them to the crew...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Step son is on the carrier George W. Bush and says they will have a chance to buy Turkish shotguns next week. Told him I would ask you fine folks for advice.
In a nutshell - have him save his money...

The phrase, "beauty is only skin deep" applies..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Step son is on the carrier George W. Bush and says they will have a chance to buy Turkish shotguns next week. Told him I would ask you fine folks for advice.
In a nutshell - have him save his money...

The phrase, "beauty is only skin deep" applies..

Handled a Dickinson in 20ga at Cabelas and thought it was plenty good but perhaps overpriced only due to being made in Turkey.

The phrase you mentioned did spring to mind. No real reason to think so though. So I am interested if you have specifics.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input. Had seen the Huglu name before but could not remember it. Jeff is not into shotguns per se but does love to shoot. Whatever he gets would definitely be a "beginner" gun for himself. Thanks again for the help.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by carbon12

The phrase you mentioned did spring to mind. No real reason to think so though. So I am interested if you have specifics.
Wish I would have remembered to take a pic of the insides of the last one I repaired a week ago.. The milling bit the idiot used on that receiver had obviously been dull - years and years ago.. Maybe in 2025 they'll buy a new one..

There's a reason why they're 'economically priced'.. Sorry - but that's the way it is..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am no gunsmith and therefore defer to one of our resident (proven) experts Redneck, but I do know fine guns. I have a CZ Ringneck (Huglu) in 28 ga that so far appears to be a well made shotgun that patterns very well, and "sings" when I point it. I christened it on a recent bird hunt (PAID TO HUNT OF COURSE) with great results. I have not taken it apart, but wood to metal finish, timed screws, very nice wood, well crafted chokes really makes for a very nice shotgun. While it is no Verney-Carron or Purdy, it suits my needs nicely. jorge

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Turkish made Charles Dailey auto in 20 GA. several years ago that i bought at Walmart for $300. i didn't get to shoot it much, but it seemed like a fairly well made gun for the price. don't know who the actual manufacturer was, though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not sure about the Huglu's but I think I would get a Dickinson if I could get a great price.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302040&page=all

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In portent ,look for PROOF MARKS on barrels....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,850
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.