Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Part of me is a purist when it comes to the 99's, and the other part of me wants to use these things because, who the hell am I saving them for? I have 16 of these 99's and my boys think I have a problem. I am in my mid-50's and can't see as well as I used to so I have come to really like a scoped rifle. I have a near-perfect 99 in 22 HP, in take-down frame. I have looked for a solid frame rifle in 22 HP but even though some of you have said they exist, I have never seen one. So if I scope this take-down rifle with a conventional scope mount (not a fan of the stith)what accuracy will I get? Due to the sloppy fit of a TD rifle, in comparison to a solid-frame, however small amount, it will point in a different direction each time I shoot, relative to the rear scope mount that is. So, what kind of accuracy can I expect? I would hate to deface this rifle only to have ruined its "collect-ability" just to have a rifle with a scope on it that shoots 5" groups at 100 yards. Also, is there a way to make a take-down model have a tighter fit??? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask Lightfoot if anyone has used his mount on a take down.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi:
I have a 99 takedown in .22 Hi-Power, Griffin & Howe side mount with a Norman Ford scope. My reloads are 64 grain Winchesters using 748 powder. With this load I average around 1 3/4 inches at a hundred yards.
Ken Waters in his "Pet Loads" was getting some loads to shoot around 1 1/4" in his model 99.
My best loads are with the Winchester 64 grain and the Speer 70 grain round nose.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Ask Lightfoot if anyone has used his mount on a take down.

I have made several mounts for the 22HP takedowns. I do need to get some measurements first but have done it more than once.

99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to all for your input. Lightfoot, is your mount a side-mount or top? I have seen a few side-mounts and they all look sort of ugly. Regardless, if the mount is all on the receiver, the same problem exists in regard to accuracy, and that is the sloppy barrel fit of a take-down precludes good accuracy. Does anybody know of a way to make a TD barrel fit tighter? Has anybody ever seen a solid-frame 22 HP??

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My 22HP is a take-down and the barrel is as tight as a "solid-frame".

With S&B ammo it will do less than 2" at 100 yards.

Why not shoot it and see how it groups with open sights? whatever you get with open sights, will be better with a scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one and have seen a couple other solid frame 22.HP's.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the sticky note at the top of the threads list titled "Misc Useful Information." There is a note there about tightening loose takedown barrels.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TomA
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's worth talking about.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd say you should expect good enough accuracy for hunting, 2" or less (probably less). But SO much of that depends on the specific rifle and load you are using. My primary hunting EG shoots 2.5" groups with one load at 100 yards, and 0.75" groups with another - and that's a solid frame.

Definitely talk to Lightfoot about his mounts. They mount similarly to the Stiths but allow modern scopes.

TomA: That's just cruel to show that off. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I'd say you should expect good enough accuracy for hunting, 2" or less (probably less). But SO much of that depends on the specific rifle and load you are using. My primary hunting EG shoots 2.5" groups with one load at 100 yards, and 0.75" groups with another - and that's a solid frame.

Definitely talk to Lightfoot about his mounts. They mount similarly to the Stiths but allow modern scopes.

TomA: That's just cruel to show that off. grin

he's saying that his 22HP is about pristeen , THE BARREL should not move if its that good, if he's going to fire 15000 times I might worry about it , or if he takes it down 200 times , I might . take good care of it ,,,,,,USE A LIGHTFOOT MOUNT AND GO SHOOT IT

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It is actually tight now, but my comment was the any take-down will not be as tight at a solid frame. I have a 300 Savage in 99EG that shoots under 1" groups at 100 yards. I doubt it would do that if it was a take-down. My dad had a 99 perch-belly in .250, and it had a scope on it. Shot 6" groups off sand-bags at 100 yards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I knew what you meant. The Savage takedowns will surprise you though, your dad's is definitely far worse than average. I've shot my 22HP with S&B ammo with a scope and it was doing around 2" groups. Pretty sure I could have done better with handloads.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a 7/8 stith and a Lyman Alaskan scope love the set up!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TOM
HOLY MOley
A Frigin 22 H.P. "T"
WOw. Thats is a Needle in a hay stack.
Beautiful, just beutiful.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just teasing, actually it wears a 1913 SN but must have been sent back to factory to become a solid frame with T style wood. It is one of my favorites and condition looks close to new. The case is kind of neat also. Tom.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think fear of inaccuracy from a TD Savage is unfounded. As some of you know, I concentrate on the 1899H takedowns having weeded out the non-takedowns in my life. I also have a total of four .22HP barrels now, counting the two permanently 'assigned' to their rifles originally and two spares that get moved onto other frames occasionally. Any one of them (including the one with semi-dodgy rifling) can be counted on to deliver 1�MOA accuracy (and often much less). That is also with tang sights exclusively- I wouldn't think of putting extra holes into a 100 year old rifle that has made it this far without being raped in such a manner. (And my 61 year old eyes are pretty dodgy, too. But- I persevered/researched and found ways to get around that so as to continue to put my money where my mouth is and stay in the iron sight game beyond where most guys throw up their hands and go the scope route.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just teasing, actually it wears a 1913 SN but must have been sent back to factory to become a solid frame with T style wood. It is one of my favorites and condition looks close to new. The case is kind of neat also. Tom.

Yeah I remember when this rifle came up for sale... neat gun either way.

Originally Posted by 99FEVER
Has anybody ever seen a solid-frame 22 HP??

Yeah, I have two, other members have them also but they are not common to say the least. Unless you live in Oz, in which case they are way more common for some reason.

Andrew

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.