Hop To
Page 18 of 58 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 57 58
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Boxer

Kiss,find pressure and rock on.
Hint.

If you have to kiss to find accuracy then the chamber is either poorly designed or poorly executed.

just sayin grin

When you just say, you crack me up!

Just imaginin' if I wasn't overcome with Dumbphuckitude... ism type stuff

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
These days I tend to use QL to find the expected velo at a given pressure, then load up in 0.5-1 gr increments to find the charge that gives the desired speed. Of course if I run into traditional pressure signs along the way I stop there.

So in other words you run a "ladder" of charge weight increments to find pressure.

Just like an Audette except you shoot it at 100 yards?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Burns,

Say something "Proprietary"...like you're going to "tell" a Moderator.

You poor poor Whining Kchunt.

Laffin'!

Jordan',

Hopefully the Mail cooperates.

It'll be better than "good".(grin)

'lia,

Yep...you're doing "great". Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simply shoot it at 600 yards and you'll max out the info you'll get back.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I'll post some pictures tomorrow showing why Audettes are repeatable, why you should save them until the lot of powder you have is gone so that you can "chase the throat" to keep your rifle barrel shooting well after it is effectively worn out, and why the highest pressure load may not be the optimum

RCA,

I'd like to see how you ensure that the Audettes are repeatable. This ain't a personal attack, just wanting to see your data especially since you mentioned it.

I'm curious because 600 yard ladder data would seem more valid if conducted with a barreled-action fixed to an immovable bench, shot in a vacuum. If you don't have the fixed rifle, and are shooting in varying wind conditions you have two extra variables besides your ladder charges (i.e. non-repeatable whole-body recoil of the rifle and unpredictable wind... both of which are not recorded for their affects on bullet path). A heavy rifle might help with repeatable rifle motion due to recoil. I don't want to beat this part to death because repeatable rifle motion during recoil is an issue at any distance.

1. We talking normally distributed data? In theory, you'd be shooting a bunch of rounds with the same charge weight. Repeat with all your other charge weights. The mean for each charge weight would then be compared to the other means. In other words, the mean positions on the target would be compared, not single shots vs single shots. Its difficult to draw conclusions with non-normal data, or single samples.

2. Curious what group size you get at 600y with your final loads (not the ladder).

3. Don't increasing velocities produce increased recoil and often times a change in POI? I agree that barrel harmonics and barrel timing are a reality, but recoil characteristics of the entire rifle are also a factor. This can skew the results if only considering harmonics and barrel time. As mentioned above, this is an issue at any distance but is an extra variable beyond the assumed result due to change in charge weight.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/05/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th'

You're overthinking it.

It works, contrary to the stupidity and Dumbphukitude of some.

Laffin'

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Since y'all are on the topic. Dissect this one for me done at 300 yards this afternoon, 308 varget 185 bergers. Gonna pick a few of these and shoot 5 shot groups at 300, which ones?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Tight as [bleep] for 300 yards!

5-6-7-8 is the node.

Shoot it at 600 to really see a difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have a Hell of a rifle!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burns,

Say something "Proprietary"...like you're going to "tell" a Moderator.

You poor poor Whining Kchunt.

Laffin'!

Lil Fish,

Hang a pic of your best shot on game this year. Heck hang a pic of your best lifetime shot on game.

Here is my bull this year. 4 digits on the RF.

[Linked Image]

I have the video to back it up, how about you or do you just want to whine. laugh laugh laugh

Hang another staged pict of a POS rifle you ain't shootin at a distance you can't handle. It makes me smile. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had 24#'s of h-4350 so I shot an Audette with the 139 Scenar. Nodes noted at 43.5 grains and 44.7 grains.

These are the middle of the node. Yes, 44.7 is way up there. That's what's great about the Audette. You find accuracy nodes and pressure in the same test. Hit pressure at 45.3 grains. The slowest burning lot of H-4350 ever made

Went with the 43.5 grain load and shot it till the barrel wore out. Gunsmith scoped it after I measured the lands being .250" from Max magazine length. He said, "remember where the throat used to start? It's about 1/2" of smoothbore past that to where the lands are now"

I went back to my Audette after increasing OAL til it wouldn't shoot anymore. Tried the upper velocity node and it shot well for a bit longer.

[Linked Image]

By definition, that's repeatability.

Save your target data and refer to it when things inevitably change.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Burns,

I enjoy how being a Whining Kchunt ain't an act for you. Congratulations?!?

As an aside,who are trying to [bleep] and out of what,next?

Laffin'!

'lia,

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rcamuglia,

What you described is finding a load (and noting another accurate load with higher charge weight), shooting the barrel out with the lower load, then going to the higher charge. This does not prove that the laddering *method* is repeatable. You simply proved that the barrel shoots 43.5-44.8gr well.

Repeatability would mean that you run the same ladder over and over and over again, and get the same ~charge weight ("node" in your case) as your final load (result). Your ladder *test* would be "repeatable" if you ran the test multiple times and got the same results. For example, run 10 ladder tests and you get the same final charge weight as the end result.

I'm willing to dismiss the "repeatability" claim, or we can be beat this horse to death until someone provides real data that shows repeatability grin If its just a simple terminology slip, no problem.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/06/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rcamuglia,

We need to zoom in a little further...

Laddering is a method that places emphasis on physics (barrel harmonics and barrel time). Isn't this the backbone of the theory? This is science so where is the data to back this up? We need to see the means ("averages") for the ladder tests not single samples (i.e. not one shot for each charge weight to prove the ladder theory).

The shooter, rifle recoil characteristics, and wind are all variables. The best that you can do is run this multiple times, plot the data and see if the data is normally distributed. If so, I will take the mean measurement, but not single sample shots.

I'm willing to buy a ladder, but in this entire thread there hasn't been one shred of data or science. If you are selling... extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Easier question... how about shooting ten, 10-shot groups at 600 yards? What accuracy level can we expect from your best loads, on your best days, with your best rifles? If your 10-shot groups look anything like your ladders, there is a problem. This means that you are not repeatable as a shooting system. Shooter error, wind, or both. The variables are not controlled. Now add different charge weights to the mix. The "data" or "results" from the ladder are questionable. Or can we assume that a 10-shot group with the final load is *always* tighter than even a tight ladder test?

One could simply load 3-5 rounds once max published velocity is reached and get a good group. In fact 247's load work looks pretty good. Seems that he got accurate loads near max published data for the 185gr and Varget. The rifle shoots well and the same results could have been found with less rounds fired, no?

Neither methods are necessarily the Holy Grail though.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/06/14.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need more than a shred of data and science, like this?

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Which ladder do I need for this O-dat? Werner?

I'm a newb at this compared to a lot of you old farts grin. I spent a lot of time "working up" loads (days, sometimes weeks) but after 10-12 rifles in the past couple years I'm starting to think that the barrels, bullets, powder, and primers are better than the average-joe on the trigger. Not as much witchcraft or voo-doo as I thought.

I run a pseudo-ladder. And yup, its at 100 yards eek , maybe 200 yards if I'm feeling daring that day. Not so much a ladder but I load one, maybe a few at the start charge and make sure I'm on paper. Record velocity. I may have some loads pre-rolled, or I make them all at the range clubhouse (my GMC in the forest). Work up to find velocity/pressure. If some loads cluster, great. If not, I'm still loading 3-5 at my chosen velocity. Rounds are loaded as long as the mag will allow (have only shot SAAMI chambers and have not hit lands with anything). Only way I can go is to seat deeper.

If the Chosen One shoots well at 100 yards, I go straight to 500 yards. 500 yards tells me everything I want to know. All this takes place in 10-15 rounds. Maybe just lucky? I don't know but out of those 10-12 rifles I only had one that wouldn't shoot ~1" at 100y, and it was a ~light 375 Ruger. It went 1.25-1.5 MOA and then I sold it for other reasons. It kicked like a mule from prone too! Another was a 760 that would shoot ~1.25 MOA but it had a freaking shotgun trigger.

Before you say 10-15 is too few compared to other methods, I counter that by saying that the average-joe will get fatigued stressing over his loads if he shoots too many. At what point are we collecting good data vs. testing shooter endurance? If you got the wrong powder, you'll see it pretty dang quick. Most guys have a velocity range they want to hit... only so many weights be in this range unless you go down to the tenth of a grain.

I'm not saying that the method I use is sufficient for BR-shooting or that I have the best loads either. They are good enough to hit 8" steel at 500 yards at my "range" in the woods. I had a 270 BAR shooting 1" and it did fine out to 500+. Good enough for me, until I sold that rifle to a buddy. He doesn't reload so I told him to get some Core-Lokts so he'd have cheap and easy ammo. That rifle shot 130gr and 150gr factory ammo into the same hole at 100y blush.

The last rifle was a not fussy at all. Must have something to do with the heavy barrel and plywood pressure. Good enough for me with a 4x scope. 68-72gr was basically one big hole. 73gr hit higher, and 74gr was higher yet. Went for speed and 74gr.

Jason

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the interested persons that really want to know does the ladder work and how, here is the best explanation of the ladder in reality AND the results in competition with methodology, targets and match results.

BTW, the gun Jason used was a 14.4 lb light gun, straight BR case and he competed and won against much heavier heavy guns.

www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek003/

I took a new heavy gun three days before the VA state championships ran a ladder, took the load in the middle of the node for vertical AND MV, refined seating depth the next night and then won the state championship the day after in Heavy Gun class.

So does the ladder with chrono work to develop extremely accurate loads? Hell yes, proven time and time again by the best 1k BR shooters and no self serving obnoxcious internet dipschitt naysays it, but too damn gutless to post his load development process can prove otherwise.

BTW(Pictures of "someones" reloading bench and guns does not prove schitt) so do not bother posting on something that is obviously over your feeble mind.

Laffin!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
4th,

You's hard on ladders.(grin)

RDW,

Mebbe the Bartlein will arrive today.(grin)

'Hunter,

I thought it was all about contour?!? You poor poor stupid [bleep].

[Linked Image]

Hint.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

and most of all, don't confuse me with the facts.

Right B?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G,

I'll feign my "surprise",that you went wayyyyyyyy outta your road...to skirt ALL things The Rifle.

Your best chance,is to simply shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

Laffin'!

Page 18 of 58 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.