I have probably 8 or 10 Leupold scopes. Most of them are newer but I do have a few older models.

To reiterate and re-enforce what others have noted.. My older VXIII's, two I think I have are lacking in the glass quality when compared to the newer VX3's which I have a few. Now they are more than adequate and get the job done but the newer coatings are a bit better than the older Leupolds. With technology I think it is just a natural progression that things will improve. Now do they improve like for like with the cost increases? Well maybe?

Now as another compliment to Leupold scopes. I recently bought a VX6 in the 2-12x42 power and it has a 30mm tube on it. I put it on a high grade sporter model 70 in 264 win mag and hunted with it in Nebraska this past deer season. That scope is one of the finest scopes I own, likely only rivaled by my Nightforce. It is hard to describe but it takes a lot for a scope to really impress me and make me write a long post but... The edge to edge to clarity of the glass is so damn good it is unreal. And as always w/ Leupy the fit and finish and mechanical attributes of the scope are flawless. I own several VX3's, VX2's, MK4's and two scopes from the Leupold custom shop and I have never had an issue with any of them.

Now I own and like my Zeiss scopes, I have a NightForce on my 338 Lapua that is amazing and I also have a couple of Swarovski's.

The VX6 is so good that I am going to take the Swaro Z5 off my 280 ackley and put a VX6 on it. And my new Forbes Swede I have on order would get a VX6 if they made one in 2-8 that was as light as the 2-8 VX3, but they don't so it will likely get the VX3.

Anyway I hope I did not get too off track for you... Good luck.

Doveryai no Proveryai