-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, I WISH I was going but not right now. I have a friend who is going in March and has asked me to help her get the right gear assembled.
First, rifles for most common plains game. Are there caliber restrictions for these animals? She is set on either 308 or 7MM-08. Will either be satisfactory?
Would you want 24" barrel or would shorter (say 20") be better suited to the hunting?
Shooting sticks: would Primos Trigger Stick do it for her? I know most PH have them but she wants to bring her own if possible.
Scope: Would a 2.5 at low end be enough, too much?
Clothing will not be an issue. She is being provided that by a sponsor.
But, as to weather, what sort of climate should be expected in March?
Anything I have left out feel free to add and comment on. All this will help me plan my first trip there down the road.
I hope you will give honest, experience based answers here, as it is the trip of a lifetime and I want to make sure she enjoys it to the fullest.
Thanks!

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
covered

Originally Posted by shoots4fun
OK, I WISH I was going but not right now. I have a friend who is going in March and has asked me to help her get the right gear assembled.

First, rifles for most common plains game. Are there caliber restrictions for these animals? She is set on either 308 or 7MM-08. Will either be satisfactory? Take them both and quality bullets

Would you want 24" barrel or would shorter (say 20") be better suited to the hunting? the 24 is the way to go for the rifles above

Shooting sticks: would Primos Trigger Stick do it for her? I know most PH have them but she wants to bring her own if possible. She can bring her own and that is fine, i have then leave them for the PH

Scope: Would a 2.5 at low end be enough, too much? You will be fine that's what i use.

Clothing will not be an issue. She is being provided that by a sponsor.

But, as to weather, what sort of climate should be expected in March? [b]Warm[/b]

Anything I have left out feel free to add and comment on. All this will help me plan my first trip there down the road.

I hope you will give honest, experience based answers here, as it is the trip of a lifetime and I want to make sure she enjoys it to the fullest.
Thanks!
[/color][color:#FF0000][b][/b]

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
March is very hot.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Check with the outfitter and airline itinerary to make sure that a 308 is legal for transfer in the transfer airport. Some airports try to restrict these based on being a 'military calibre'.

I would focus on bullet and accurate loading. Choose the heaviest bullet that provides acceptable trajectory and accuracy at the farthest anticipated range. For much of Africa, the farthest range is 300 yards. So maybe 165-168 grains in 308. Some bullets work at 180 grains. (For Namibia, that can be over 300 yards.) While the 7-08 will work, the 308 is better for animals over 400 lbs on the hoof.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
shoots4fun,,,It might help if you said what country she is hunting in. Of the two rifles, I would pick the 308, but the most important factor is that she can shoot accurately and calmly...some shots are offered with only 10 seconds to get ready.
Just my view...however, Marius of KMG can give you great advice.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rhinoland Safaris. Located about 200 miles NW of Johannesburg.
She is shooting a 308 regularly now and doing well. Not sure on the fast and calm though. Hell, not sure how calm I would be on my first African trip smile .
BTW, if anyone can give reviews of Rhinoland Safaris that would help too.
Thanks for all the input so far.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mrs Blacktailer shoots a 308 Kimber with a 2-7 Leupold Ultralight with 165gr TSX. We have used it on warthogs to zebra.
Unless you are hunting the Kalahari, the shots will most likely be 100 yards or less especially early in the year when there are more leaves on the trees.
Don't need to over think it, just have her practice a lot off of the sticks. Don't forget that you don't have to shoot to practice. Dry firing is a great supplement and you can do it in your living room.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
She has access to a private range with distance to 700 yards. I'll get her on some sticks (Primos tripod maybe?) and shooting distance from 75 yds to 300.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If she is going in March, it is almost too late to have the rifle permits in place. Could be long waiting times at SAPS. Get working on the permits ASAP. Remember, if going through Europe, that both Holland requires a permit (free) and Germany (20 Euro) does also.

http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/

Call Anne at Hunter's Support and get her working on the RSA permits. She will also have the meet and greet provided. Check with her. Postal strike in RSA, so you will have to cowier everything.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For her firearms I am guessing?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For her firearms I am guessing?

Yes.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks AB2506!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
She has access to a private range with distance to 700 yards. I'll get her on some sticks (Primos tripod maybe?) and shooting distance from 75 yds to 300.

You should take a look at the Bog-pod as well. I have tried a few different tripods and these are my current favorite.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
30/06 and .375 still stands. Get as close as she can and still shoot well to a 30/06 with Nosler Partitions and call it good. If recoil is a problem go with that 7-08 and practice shooting off a tripod from Bogpod I have taken 9 head of plains game with either a 7x57 or a 30/06. Practice off that tripod until you go...All of my game was taken under 75 yards with one shot except for the Eland; he two 2 shots.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Make sure she also gets a US 4457 Customs Form for whichever rifle she brings. You take your rifle to a Customs Office here in the US (call first). They check the rifle and serial number, and issue you the form. Although it's use is to show you owned the rifle when you left the US (didn't buy it overseas and are smuggling it in to the US), many of the African countries see this as an American's gun "permit". They will want to see and record it when you arrive. DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT HAVING ONE!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input. Great info and I know it will help make the trip smooth.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Make sure she has lots of time shooting off sticks. I would suggest against the trigger stick as they can break and are seeminly overly engineered and second the Bog Pod, although it's a bit on the heavy side. She could make or buy a tripod style rest she can shoot from in a standing position which would be ideal. I would also make sure her PH has a set of sticks that would accommodate her height. Lots of PH's have sticks that would be fine for the average man but if she is petite, make sure they're aware.

When my wife and I went in 2012 for plains game, I had her shooting my .300 Win Mag a whole bunch off sticks after she got a feel for it on the bench. I always made sure she was shooting in the same type of outfit (to factor in LOP) that she would be wearing in SA. Also have her buy/bring some ear plugs she could quickly put on to help with flinching. I bought a number of pairs of the plastic "U" shaped style with the gel-like plugs on either end and she can wear them around her neck until needed.

If she can swing it, have her bring another scope along just in case. Also a little cleaning kit such as a bore snake and a small bottle of CLP. She most likely will need neither of these items, however they're good to have as insurance.

My wife brought a cheap pair of flip flops for showering (which weren't needed as our lodge was a freakin' resort!) and for walking around in our room. She was glad she brought them but didn't really end up using them. If she brings a gender neutral color, she could leave them for the tracker or the PH's kids/family.

There are tons of other items she should consider and I would suggest she check out an outfitter's website for a list of suggested items. Our very own Marius Goosen with KMG Hunting Safaris has a good one on his site. Best of luck to her!

-John

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 30mmplumber
shoots4fun,,,It might help if you said what country she is hunting in. Of the two rifles, I would pick the 308, but the most important factor is that she can shoot accurately and calmly...some shots are offered with only 10 seconds to get ready.
Just my view...however, Marius of KMG can give you great advice.

Warthogs are often quicker than antelope. I've seen many that were on a 3-5 second clock. Antelope like to stare. If she's practicing, she'll be fine.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
308-20" load 150 TTSX to 2700. Piece of cake.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lesfox, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,714
Posts18,514,101
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.