Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
ColsPaul:

I have a 50 amp breaker in a sub panel and a dedicated 220 line from my main box. The feeder line is underground. Heavy, flat grey stuff. I think its 6/3 wire or sumpin like that. So far I haven't tripped the breaker and I've been doing a fair bit of welding. Just need an extra 30' to weld up some frames to keep the deer from my wife's flower beds. We'll see how it goes.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When in question, go heavy. Using 8 instead of 10 doesn't cost that much more and you have extra capacity if you need it for something later. You might decide to buy a bigger welder sometime.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll jump in on the heavy side.
Has it been mentioned to be sure the breaker size is correct to protect the circuit regardless of wire size?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like the guy is just wanting to put together something for a temporary, limited and supervised use. Not like he has to go by or follow NEC electrical code.... otherwise there is a lot more that goes into outdoor construction grade extensions other than just wire size. But I agree, I'd go with 8-3 minimum!

Phil

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The guage wire you need depends on the length of the run and amperage. The further you go the larger guage wire you need.

So the book says 8 guage for 40 amp up to 50 feet away from the circuit breaker, box, and 6 guage if you are 50 to 100 feet.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tombo
If you read the owners manual it states that model has an 20amp input. 10ga is more than enough.

20 AMP draw max on the primary side. 10 gauge SO Cord is what you need. 12 gauge is rated for 20 amps in NM but not SO.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not an electrician, BUT- I did spend the night on a firearm enthusiast's website.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nope, Look at column B (400.5(A), 2 current carrying (12awg) conductors it is rated at 25 amps.

The input current rating is at 20amps. The maximun unit output is 14.64 amps. 12 awg SO would be fine, 10awg IS more than enough.

The input current is converted to DC and the voltage dropped in this case to a max of 34 volts in this unit. That part is mis-
understood by many.

I'm an 01 Electrical Admimistrator and it's my job to get it right!

FYI, If you run the cord through a window, door, or simular opening it would be an illegal use..

Last edited by Tombo; 03/09/14.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tombo
Nope, Look at column B (400.5(A), 2 current carrying (12awg) conductors it is rated at 25 amps.

The input current rating is at 20amps. The maximun unit output is 14.64 amps. 12 awg SO would be fine, 10awg IS more than enough.

The input current is converted to DC and the voltage dropped in this case to a max of 34 volts in this unit. That part is mis-
understood by many.

I'm an 01 Electrical Admimistrator and it's my job to get it right!

FYI, If you run the cord through a window, door, or simular opening it would be an illegal use..

630.11 is what applies exactly to this case.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm no electrician,.....but I AM a welder.

Rob,
* go with the 10/3 purchased
* Dope the receptacle with a good silicone dielectric grease
* When running on the 30' extension, DROP your WIRE SIZE,....e.g, go down to an .030 if you normally run .035,......if you normally run .030, drop down to .023.
* If you just HAVE to stay with your regular wires size, and the thing's trying to blow breakers,.... go to a 75 /25 shielding gas. Need MORE zots ?.......add a sniff of helium and O2. whistle

........I'd say you're going to be FINE without doing ANY of the above, and that you should hook it up and monitor performance, before going around your azz, to get to your elbow.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- β€œSometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried running even a 110v welder on a 10 guage extension cord and it does not allow enough power for good weld penetration, You will play hell trying to get a 220 machine to work for sure.
You would be better served with what PAL mentioned from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-3-25-220-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f31d2e910

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm no electrician,.....but I AM a welder.

Rob,
* go with the 10/3 purchased
* Dope the receptacle with a good silicone dielectric grease
* When running on the 30' extension, DROP your WIRE SIZE,....e.g, go down to an .030 if you normally run .035,......if you normally run .030, drop down to .023.
* If you just HAVE to stay with your regular wires size, and the thing's trying to blow breakers,.... go to a 75 /25 shielding gas. Need MORE zots ?.......add a sniff of helium and O2. whistle

........I'd say you're going to be FINE without doing ANY of the above, and that you should hook it up and monitor performance, before going around your azz, to get to your elbow.

GTC

Crossfire:

Do I put the grease on the terminals inside the plug? Is that to help conductivity? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bethalhntr
I have tried running even a 110v welder on a 10 guage extension cord and it does not allow enough power for good weld penetration, You will play hell trying to get a 220 machine to work for sure.

"Tried" ?

"Weld Penetration" ?

Ooooooooh, that's pretty fancy terminology, I better go re-think my position .

GTC

GMAFB.

GTC

-- β€œSometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Conductivity ?

....absolutely, if receptacle plugs are involved. Something about 60 HZ that just LOVES to trash the innards of domestic grade plugs,......

That and the inevitable welding environment CRUD. Never really thought about it, but iron dust on the brass must play hell, one thing heat up,.....No ?

GTC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

"Tried" ?

"Weld Penetration" ?

GTC

GMAFB.

GTC

Yup weld penetration. If you want to weld and want it to penetrate the metal you need a large amount of amperage, Big wire equals lots of amperage. Most 220v machines require at least a 50 amp wire(6 guage) for the amps not the volts.

I am not trying to step on toes I'm just giving the OP my opinion.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Your 10 gauge you bought is fine. Go with it. Save the 12 gauge for your wife's hair dryer. Listen to the Welders not the Electricians on this one.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

"Tried" ?

"Weld Penetration" ?

GTC

GMAFB.

GTC

Yup weld penetration. If you want to weld and want it to penetrate the metal you need a large amount of amperage, Big wire equals lots of amperage. Most 220v machines require at least a 50 amp wire(6 guage) for the amps not the volts.

I am not trying to step on toes I'm just giving the OP my opinion.

If you want to weld and want it to penetrate the metal you need a large amount of amperage,

guess you'd know a lot more about alla' that than I.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No one knows as much as you crossfire on just about every subject.

GFY

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That bother you ?

GTC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting thread.

I read the NEC to be minimum wire size to amp load.

I"ve never seen a welder receptacle wired in with 10/3 wire.

But then again I"ve probably never seen a small welder with low draw amps either.

That being said I"ve always wondered why as an inspector I force folks to run 2/0 copper for a 200 amp panel, and we as a utility connect to the panel with #2 AL triplex.
Always boggles my mind...

I'd feel undergunned and like I was using a fusible link running 10/3 for a welder... but if you get away with it fine. Whats the worst? Trip a breaker or burn the wire in half really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 48 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.