Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I know you guys preach to make change to only one thing at a time...this is how you evaluate load components.

However I have several bullets (NBT/Hornady V-max, and Sierra) and also several powders. Driving to my range is a 30/35 mile one way so it does cost money to drive to the range...this is a Wildlife range which will be open until the end of March. The its to the gunshop range which means I got to buy everything from them.

Because I am going to a public range and its further I want to load several different .223 and will start with NBT and probably V-MAX and Benchrest powder. I may also load the H335 too since its on hand and I can test out.

Do you guys keep one powder and use different bullets or keep one or two bullets and try two powder to get the best bang and see which combo is providing better accuracy?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can test as many bullets and powders as you like. My method:

1. I decide on one or two bullet weights.

2. I consult various manuals for recommended powders for those weights. The most useful manuals in this regard are the Nosler and Lyman manuals. I use one or two recommended powders for the first trial.

3. I then select a single bullet of the weight or weights I've chosen that I believe to be capable of excellent accuracy. A Sierra or Nosler match bullet would be my preferance.

4. Once I've found what I believe to be the best load, I may try other bullets of the weights I've chosen. There is no need to do extensive workup of powder weights with a different bullet as long as the bullet construction is similar.

After trying multiple bullet weights and powders, my best load has been Nosler 77 gr. BTHP bullets over RL-15. This is even true in a rifle with a 1:10 twist barrel.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
also try some flat base bullets , some guns will shoot them better than boatails and also primer choice does make a differance, as well as seating depth..

It is better to have it and not need it , than to
need it and not have it ( by master gunsmith & very wise friend )
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have Benchmark, I'd go with that one... and then pick any bullet weight you desire, in the Ballistic Tips and the V Maxes...

In my 223s, which are all bolt actions.. I really don't notice a difference in POI of the V Max or ballistic tip, using the same charge and same bullet weight...

either are minute of Sage Rat or POP can out to 200 to 250 meters/yards......which is pretty much the service I use them in...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From my experience with the 223 Rem nothing beats H335 or Varget. If your 223 won't preform with one or both of these powders , you have a barrel or bedding problem . Nosler 50 gr BT or Hornady 50 gr V-max with either of the two listed powders should give you bug hole groups if your shooting is up to it .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.