Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
What manufacturers don't use stainless steel bolts on their SS rifles? This keeps being mentioned, but all I've heard thus far is Borden and Savage.

Stiller (although they nitride their bolts now), BAT, Kelbly (such as on the Atlas stainless action), Defiance to name a few.

Sounds like actions with tighter tolerances are less apt to use stainless bolts in their stainless actions.

HR IC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why do some people think a fluted bolt is a problem regarding dirt and water? That dirt and water is there regardless of whether you see it on the bolt, or it sticks to the rails or ends up in the mag well. I guess it makes people feel better if they cannot see the existing dirt instead.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Re the fluted bolts, I am going to guess and say that maybe the Forbes and NULA's looked a bit too similar, and that the reason for the change could be driven by marketing. As someone stated earlier, since NULA never felt compelled to flute over many years, why would Forbes suddenly feel the need to do this for "functional" reasons.

I have an older Forbes w/o the flutes, and a new one with them. Personally, they don't bother me, but I think the original non fluted looks better. The flutes on the new Forbes are *very* shallow, and seem to me to be cosmetic in nature.

As to the rate of twist on a 243/6mm, I have a question about faster twist rates. In the Nosler manual, it states "a twist rate that is too fast can cause light weight, lightly constructed varmint bullets to literally spin themselves apart".

Has anyone ever experienced this? I wonder what was driving Nosler's statement. Is it more prevalent with larger calibers? I would think that there must be a point of diminishing returns and/or worsening performance with too fast a twist for a given caliber. Just curious......

FWIW, I have never gone heavier than 100gr out of my 84M in 243 with it's 1 in 10, and haven't had any accuracy issues yet.

Last edited by sigguy; 01/23/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
What manufacturers don't use stainless steel bolts on their SS rifles? This keeps being mentioned, but all I've heard thus far is Borden and Savage.

Exactly... the early M700 SS's had chromoly bolts (plated - I had more than a few) but switched to SS bolts after a few years.

It's a "solution" in search of an actual problem.

Genius, Why TF do you think Melvin never made a NULA with a SS action? Think he might have a tad more knowledge of metallurgy than you? The fact that former DOD engineers decided to go with a SS action/CM bolt, and the fact that the introduction of this iteration, which heretofore has never existed, is taking a while, is what is known, to the "enlightened", as a "clue".

The adults are talking... you may have overlooked the FACT a LOT of finely ENGINEERED rifles use all SS receivers and SS bolts. All SS revolvers have been in use for 50 years.

Chromoly bolts in SS receivers is an exercise in pole vaulting mouse turds, but that seems to be what you're good at.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've always thought all the 700 bolt heads were chromoly as well as the bolt body if it is jeweled. I think the handle is stainless on stainless 700's. Could be wrong though....

I think you may be right about that.

I haven't handled a SS M700 in a good ten years, and memory does funny things...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
700 SS used a SS bolt body with a CM head. Brad, are you seriously trying to say that actions like Borden and Defiance Machine are substandard because they use a CM bolt body ?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The adults are talking... you may have overlooked the FACT a LOT of finely ENGINEERED rifles use all SS receivers and SS bolts. All SS revolvers have been in use for 50 years.

Chromoly bolts in SS receivers is an exercise in pole vaulting mouse turds, but that seems to be what you're good at.

You f'ing dumbschidt, none of those other actions weigh 20oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
Pretty standard for bolts on stainless rifles to be cm. I know Borden actions are like that. It helps prevent galling

This^^^

CM bolt doesn't bother me at all.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Melvin with tell you a CM action is stronger than stainless and will take higher pressure before letting go, and that is why he doesn't use stainless.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I bet the guys at forbes just stay up at night thinking what they can do so the vast majority of people wont buy their product I mean why else would they use chrome moly bolts with flutes and twist the .243 1-10

and poor old Melvin what does he know he has only been in business since well.........he was eighteen fixen and makin guns danged old hillbilly last time i talked to him he was well past 7000 ultra light arms rifles built by his company.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Opinions very. If you like it buy it if you don't don't buy it.
When I had Melvin build my Nula, they would not flute bolt or barrel. Bolt just made action weaker, and made barrel not be as accurate. SS action he wouldn't make because they couldn't get the tolerance as tight as it needed to be. Makes me wonder if milling is better now or tolerance not as good on Forbes rifle. Maybe that's part of the $2,000 plus difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn
700 SS used a SS bolt body with a CM head. Brad, are you seriously trying to say that actions like Borden and Defiance Machine are substandard because they use a CM bolt body ?

Never said it, or implied it. Just said it's a solution in search of a problem.

What ever happened to reading comprehension?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You f'ing dumbschidt, none of those other actions weigh 20oz.

I see you're in the bottle early. The Kimber is quite close. Almost identical. It's all SS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Never said it, or implied it. Just said it's a solution in search of a problem.

What ever happened to reading comprehension?

What were you saying then when you said the use of CM bolts and SS bodies, were a solution to a non existing problem (paraphrased).

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are a whole bunch of actions that use SS bolts without any problem. If Forbes/NULA has such tight tolerances that it's a no/go, then so be it. I personally see it as an issue.

Not only because it is marketed as a stainless rifle (and it's only partially so), but also because an action with such tight tolerances bothers me.

The first purpose of a bolt action rifle is to function well. This is more important than absolute accuracy. I've noticed my ULA is so tightly put together that it doesn't like to operate real well when dust or particulate snow is introduced to the action. It works, but the amount of debris that makes it sluggish would not even be noticed by a Mauser 98 or a Ruger 77.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RJ338
Praire Goat,

The reason most makers don't use stainless bolts is that stainless is notorious for galling when two stainless parts rub on each other. This happens with all steels unless there are 10 points of hardness(Rockwell C scale) between two interacting surfaces. Most receivers are Rc 30-32, bolts would have to be Rc 40-42 which would
be very hard to machine in high volume. With stainless it would most likely require plating to prevent galling. As for the 8-9" tw.
more shooters use std. bullets than use VLD's for hunting.

It's not just VLD's. Try a 90gr E-tip in a 10 twist.

But the point being, that those standard bullets shoot just as well in a faster twist, so why not twist the frigging barrel right to begin with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just had an Email from Rick at Forbes in response to my question about a fast twist 243 or 260,

"Possibly a faster twist on the 243 but not no go on the 260 at this time. Have no fear, things are on the drawing board smile "

Keep pestering him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The squeaky wheel wins!!!! Hopefully....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good to hear! Fingers crossed for a 1/8 .243.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[.

Actually, he's never cleared one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tkinak
Just had an Email from Rick at Forbes in response to my question about a fast twist 243 or 260,

"Possibly a faster twist on the 243 but not no go on the 260 at this time. Have no fear, things are on the drawing board smile "

Keep pestering him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The squeaky wheel wins!!!! Hopefully....

Still thinking about the 1/8 243. Anyone heard what they've got on the drawing board?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.