C
What rifle is it?

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by captchee
i dont recal him saying what rifle he had unless its in another thread somewhere. nore metioning anything other then possable issues with the barrel

The original post mentions a CVA and the stock age and quality in addition to the barrel unless you are referring to something else.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
Originally Posted by captchee
i dont recal him saying what rifle he had unless its in another thread somewhere. nore metioning anything other then possable issues with the barrel

The original post mentions a CVA and the stock age and quality in addition to the barrel unless you are referring to something else.

yes it did and im asking what rifle it is ?
is it a CVA mountain rifle. is it a CVA ,St Lewis ,Hawkens of which both take different stocks . Is it any number of other 1/2 stock rifles that CVA made through the years that were available in 50. Some with double set triggers , some without . In some cases the parts from a Mt . or Hawk rifle will fit those other stock , some times not
Or as in the case with the St Lewis , which came in kits with both a 50 and a 54 cal barrel. Thus making the 54 a little easier to find .
Is it a bobcat or one of its predecessors which would then place the possibility of finding a fast twist barrel of 1 in 32 , 1 in 48 or 1 in 60 as an option for a possible barrel and twist .

Bigbock . im very surprised you have never had an issue with the locks or triggers .

The triggers are not to troublesome . Most times if someone has an issue with the double sets its do to having the trigger set to light in which case it wont work OE the tension spring on the front trigger which frankly was little better then a paper clip in quality . It was easily bent and thus would not provide enough upward pressure to allow the rear trigger to engage in the set position .

The locks . Well lets see , soft lock plate which was often times bent when folks over tightened the lock screws . Main springs that would go dead at a drop of the hat and thus need replacing . Often times even brand new they were weak and had just enough pressure to set off the cap . If someone dry fired the gun and the nipple spread , you then ran into the double fall issues that are so often ask about .
Or once the nipple began to where the gun would experience blow back resulting in the wibblie , wobbly hammer on the tumbler .
Hammers on the smaller locks ,that were soft enough they would get easily bent . Thus be out of alignment with the nipple .. The flintlock suffered from the same things but also had issues with the frizzen being dead and or cocks bending

Last edited by captchee; 03/03/14.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
have a cva hawken thats only a few years younger than me, all original and still shoots perfect. I did have to replace the sear about 9-10 years ago though. Over tightening the lock screws is common and can cause the hammer to hold up, pretty much a softer wood issue. Over tightening the lock screws also can slow down the hammer fall, resulting in a click, instead of a bang.

Only issue I had with my hawken was when I found the trigger had been inletted to deeply and was hitting the sear bar, not allowing the trigger to be set. After bedding the trigger plate and tang, all was perfect. No more troubles with the tang screw loosening either with heavy loads.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The few that I have never any problems yet.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm guessing it's a hawken, doesn't say on the barrel or anywhere else. has the brass patch holder on the stock, stock goes midway down the barrel, has 2 wedges in the forearm holding it together. brass crescent buttplate, double triggers.
other than that I don't know how to identify it as to a specific model.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
sounds like a mountain rifle. If you'd interested in selling it I'd be interested.

Does it look something like this?
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigblock455
never had any trouble with a trigger on a cva sidelock nor the lock, unless it was a flintlock and even then it was just a simple matter of rehardening a frizzen.

Telling a guy to replace triggers,lock, refinish his stock is just wasting his money without knowing what the real problem is with the rifle.

Hell, If I knew what model it was I'd offer to buy it and redo it for myself.

I could just as easy build a new rifle from scratch, but this one my dad gave me for christmas when I was 12.
also meaning no way in hell you could buy it from me smile

I do like the idea of stripping the finish and maybe staining it, the wood looks like a monotone yellow and is very bland. I'd like to keep as much of it original if possible. does anyone rebore muzzleloaders? I would like to keep the original barrel and rebore to a .54 if I could. I know it doesn't make much sense form a cost standpoint, but that's not what I am concerned with the most. yes a new build may be cheaper, it's the nostalgic value I'm after.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yes it looks very similar to that only in worse shape smile

no way I'd sell, my ma&pa gave it to me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yeah reboring would cost more than a new barrel lol. If your're interested it restoring it I could certainly be of help if you dont feel like doing it yourself. I actually have a mountain rifle coming in for playing with before I strip it down and refinish it. They are really addicting once you get them cleaned up and shooting. Super accurate rifles, my Hawken wears the MR barrel but in 58cal.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my dad said he bought it from a guy who used it for competition, I've seen it shoot good groups but never really explored all it had to offer. I appreciate the offer, I'll let you know what I decide to do

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
if it were me , i would first clean up the barrel and then drop a bore light down and see what you actually have as far as damage . a little frosting shouldn�t hurt anything really . If you want it gone , proper lapping can often take care of that .
If a 54 is a must have , then you have a couple options that would preserve your personal value .
IMO order of cost would be .
1) would watch for a 54 cal CVA Hawkens barrel and have it re lugged to fit you stock . Doing that is no big deal .
2)go to Deer creek and buy one of their barrels for that rifle in 54
3) buy a custom barrel , . Have it breeched , under lugs put on , a proper under rib and a new standing breech made that will fit your current inlet .
4) have it re rifled to a 54 cal . I have had Ed Rayl re rifle barrels for me . He does very good work , but he also is very busy so a long wait . You might give Robert Hoyt a call and see what he would charge His phone # 717-642-6696
Im glad to hear your not interested in selling it . Good on you . Every buddy and their brother seems to be after the Mt rifles these days and the prices just keep climbing even if they are in bad shape and especially if they are an older one with a US marked barrel
I have worked on these guns all my life . I know them very well .

PS another idea might if the bore is in real bad shape , would be to have it bored to a smooth bore and then get you a rifled barrel . Then you would have the option of both a shotgun and a rifle from the same gun you dad gave you .
Again 2 thumbs up on keeping it

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mine has the US marked barrel. I think what I'll do is clean it up really well, maybe refinish the stock and stain it a little, it is very yellow/pale looking. I do wish it had a little faster twist so I could shoot sabots accurately. would a 1:48 twist stabilize a 230 grain saboted hollow point?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The I in 48 stabilized 240 and 250 grain saboted loads in my Renegade. Except the sights would not go low enough for the lighter recoiling loads. i put a pistol scope on it, so it was not an issue.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 03/06/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got news for you, that USA made barrel is a slow twist barrel made for patched round balls. It should be 1:66 twist if its marked USA.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
it is, I thought it said 1-48 but I just checked and it doesn't say a twist at all.
I have a round ball mould, I might just clean it up, refinish the stock and oil it well and put it away with my indian made possibles bag, mold and antler powder measurer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a "new" in the white .58 cal CVA Hawken barrel listed on Gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400717958

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
thats actually for a mountain rifle but can be used on the hawken if it has a 1" barrel channel or you're willing to open up the channel a little with a sanding block. Also will have to relocate the barrel tenon and cut a new slot for it. Not huge, I've done 2 of them for my hawken and someone elses i built the rifle for.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.