Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of the famous Isle Royale wolves, she had recently crossed the ice to the mainland.

Isabelle, the wolf from Isle Royale who was found dead on the mainland last month, was shot by a low-velocity pellet gun, National Park Service officials said Friday.

Her body was found on tribal lands of the Grand Portage Band of Chippewa. Because she wore a collar, tribal officials were able to track down the researchers on Isle Royale who have been studying wolves and moose on the island for decades.

Isabelle, a lone wolf, was in prime breeding condition. She left the island when a rare ice bridge formed in order to find a mate, said Rolf Peterson, one of the researchers from Michigan Technological University.

Phyllis Green, superintendent of Isle Royale National Park, said the wolf was probably shot by someone who was trying to scare her off, not kill her. The Grand Portage Band does not allow wolf hunting or killing, but does allow their members to protect their pets and property from wolves, she said.

An investigation found that the pellet entered between two ribs and hit an artery. Had it hit her half an inch in either direction, the wolf would have been fine, Green said.

smile

Last edited by fluffy; 03/14/14.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Awwww, poor doggy . . .

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was up in GP yesterday, the word was she wolf might have been chasing dogs, thus the pellet...but who really knows.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's an ugly one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A dead wolf is a good wolf

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was up in GP yesterday, the word was she wolf might have been chasing dogs

Likely never seen dogs before, perhaps presumed they were wolves or close enough. She might have been in heat I'd guess.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well..........Bye.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A buddy of mine killed a coyote stone dead with a spring action 25cal last year. One pellet to the back of the head as it was phugging with his dogs and lights out.

BTW - That picture looks like a male.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
birdwatcher, that would be dogs in grand portage, lots of them around, often the means to end for a wolf.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They now class dogs as being merely a subspecies of the grey wolf. I dunno if wolves can really tell the difference between dogs and wolves.

Certainly you can keep dogs and wolves in the same enclosure, the dogs already speak the language.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know wolves eat the hell out of dogs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Must've accidently stepped in front of some youngster who was carefully target practicing with his new Red Ryder! I hear that happens.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't see what the problem is, if they issued a collar tracking device to all shooters the shooters could be very diligent in making absolutely certain that the wrong animal was not shot.

Sounds reasonable to me.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That is a great shot. The shooter should be proud.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know wolves eat the hell out of dogs.

I expect with your time in Alaska you know that the leading cause of death among wolves is other wolves, and that it ain't too unusual for the losers to get eaten afterwards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Must've accidently stepped in front of some youngster who was carefully target practicing with his new Red Ryder

....or at least been up close as in right there.

IIRC it was Wyoming where a ranch lady shot a wolf right off their front porch. Turns out it was a female in heat in an area with as yet few wolves, and the ranchers owned a male rat terrier.

Birdwatcher

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by bbassi

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

For the record, the posted photo was just a random dead wuff I grabbed off the net - not the actual one shot in the story. Just seemed like a visual was needed to "commemorate" the event. cool

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One in a row. It's a start. smile

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by bbassi

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

For the record, the posted photo was just a random dead wuff I grabbed off the net - not the actual one shot in the story. Just seemed like a visual was needed to "commemorate" the event. cool

heres the pic of mine,just to get the mood right. laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
another view

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 42 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.