-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless Steel with factory black grips that look sort of like Buffalo horn. I did not know Ruger ever MADE a SBH with only 3 and 3/4 inches of barrel. Pretty cool, I think. This might due me well for my woods carry/ATV riding piece, but I am not quite sure. still feels a bit thick and heavy and I still like the idea of a Flat top 44 Special or even a Charter Target Bulldog 4 inch for the lighter weight. But, this came to me in a decent trade deal and it is growing on me as I look at it and handle it.

Another problem is where would a holster be found off the rack for such a piece? I don't have the extra coin for a custom holster these days.

Kind of afraid to shoot this one, cause right now it is new, unfired in the box with papers etc. and if I decide to go another way it will sell for more as it is.

Thoughts? Opinions? Trade idea's? End goal is a carry a lot shoot a little woodswalking, big game hunting coupe' de grace only/ small game opportunistic /ATV riding/ maybe sometimes concealed carry large bore handgun. Needs to be short range black bear capable.

Would you keep it, trade it or??

I love really lightweight handguns. If I could wave a magic wand and turn this into a 329PD I would be able to return to handgun nirvannah grin

Last edited by safariman; 03/14/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"still feels a bit thick and heavy and I still like the idea of a Flat top 44 Special..."

A recent Lipsey's, getting harder to find... regular grip and a Bisley grip were made. I see them on gunbroker once in a while, 6 plus $ new. I really like my bisley flattop 44 spl., but a light weight it is not, weighs in at 45 ounces, the standard grip flattop weighs just a little less.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jerry,

That is good to know! Thanks a bunch for the intel. I had thought the 44 flattops were on the newer, smaller 357 frame Blackhawk size and style. I should weigh this 3 and 3/4 inch bbl'ed SBH and see what it comes in at. It sure is a neat LOOKING gun.

MARK

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

The flattops are on the smaller 357 frame, but the weight savings is pretty minimal. The Bisley's weigh more due to their larger steel frame, I've got the standard gripped flattop but don't recall the exact weight, think it is 41 or 42 ounces, I will reweigh it and get back to you later unless someone beats me to it.

Jerry

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jerry,

You are more than kind, sir. I may have a deal done of my Colt Commander for a 329PD. If I do, my solution will have arrived and this Ruger SBH will be for sale or trade.

Many thanks,

MARK

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

I was quite dis-appointed that there was not a significant weight loss with the flattop, but have become quite enamored of the way it fits me (the Bisley), and it shoots quite well... it's become a keeper because of this.

jerry

Just to add to and repeat Jim's weights;

5 1/2" 45 Colt flattop 41.2 ounces
4 5/8 44 Spl. Bisley Flattop 45 ounces
5 1/2" 45 Colt standard frame Bisley 46.6 ounces

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 03/15/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just weighed what I had on hand.

A blued 6 1/2" Blackhawk .357 weighs 44.5 ounces, this has the larger cylinder frame and aluminum grip frame and of course more steel left in the barrel and cylinder.

A blued 5 1/2" Bisley Flattop .44 Special weighs 45 ounces even, this has the smaller mid-size cylinder frame and a steel grip frame.

A stainless 5 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk .45 Colt weighs 45.5 ounces, only 1/2 ounce more than the Flattop, this with the larger cylinder frame and steel grip frame but slightly bigger holes in the barrel and cylinder.

So you don't get a lot of weight savings with the Flattops. They really need an aluminum grip frame.

The best power to weight ratio I've seen in the Ruger single actions is a standard Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrel, with the aluminum grip frame. Ruger lists the shorter one at 39 ounces but IIRC the one I had came in at about 37 ounces.

All of these weights are unloaded so you'd have to add in the ammo for "on the hip" weight.

And before anyone asks, no, these aren't for sale... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would think the 329's are the way to go if you need a lighter, large caliber trail gun. But I wouldn't load it much over 950 fps. with a 250 gr. SWC bullet. E

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I would think the 329's are the way to go if you need a lighter, large caliber trail gun. But I wouldn't load it much over 950 fps. with a 250 gr. SWC bullet. E

You are quite correct IMO, and I just managed to snag one. I am really excited, and plan to never let go of this one! Traded a NITB Colt 1991A1 Commander with box and papers etc. for the used 329PD. The incoming 'Smith already has a plug where the lock used to be and a set of Hogue grips that cover that nasty backstrap where it slams into ones hand during firing. Last one I had got a steady diet of 260gr Hardcast WFN bullets ahead of 10.0gr of Unique. This one will get the same recipe. Worked real well in the other 329PD's I had. I am excited to have one again.

Ruger SBH is going onto the trading block now.

Thanks everyone for the data and intel. This helped me make a better decision, for my purposes anyway. MARK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just saw a new SBH as you described today at the LGS.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As Jim mentioned, the solution is a swap of the grip frame to an aluminum one. I have an 4 5/8" Old Model 44 Special conversion that goes 35 oz IIRC. My favorite woods bumming gun is an old Flattop 44 Mag cut to 4 5/8". It has the original XR3 gripframe. Fairly light and very comfortable to carry in one of Leahy's pancakes. I load 275 gr WFN's to 1100 fps for it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.