-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You wouldn't have to steal a passenger plane with 239 passengers to make a long range "deceptive" bomber.

It could just as easily be done with a cargo plane or a private jet. They fly everyday and everywhere. It would probably be easier to hijack one too.

Last edited by fish head; 03/15/14.
GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Hmmmm...tracker turned off from inside the cockpit. Searching pilot's home now.

Best sign up for LPE membership while the rates are still discounted and before March Madness begins.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's an LPE and where do I sign up?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I don't see how the airline doesn't know how much fuel was on the aircraft. They have to pay for it. The vendor should have a ticket that show the amount on the aircraft prior to fueling, the amount pumped on, and the total on board after fueling.

It's about 2700 miles from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Roughly 5 1/2 to 6 hours depending on the winds. Without knowing the distance to their alternate it's hard to guess the fuel load. But lets assume the scheduled flight time was 6 hours. They would have enough fuel on to fly to the destination, plus 10% of the scheduled flight time (1 hour), plus fuel to go missed and fly to the alternate, plus fuel to hold at the alternate at 1500' for 30 min.

The aircraft could have had 9 hours or more of fuel on board when it left Kuala Lumpur.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This little mess could have had a whole lot of people involved.

Phil

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by fish head
You wouldn't have to steal a passenger plane with 239 passengers to make a long range "deceptive" bomber.

It could just as easily be done with a cargo plane or a private jet. They fly everyday and everywhere. It would probably be easier to hijack one too.

That's true, but if/when they fly it again it will probably get shot down if it even approaches the USA. If 239 innocents die that way, that's effective propaganda against us too. Win/win for the enemy.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I can't imagine any country not involved that wouldn't shoot down this plane if it/they tried to approach populated lands and structures without identifying themselves or agreeing to a forced landing for inspection and interrogation, far from populated areas.

Last edited by isaac; 03/15/14.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by F15beeper
I don't see how the airline doesn't know how much fuel was on the aircraft. They have to pay for it. The vendor should have a ticket that show the amount on the aircraft prior to fueling, the amount pumped on, and the total on board after fueling.

It's about 2700 miles from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Roughly 5 1/2 to 6 hours depending on the winds. Without knowing the distance to their alternate it's hard to guess the fuel load. But lets assume the scheduled flight time was 6 hours. They would have enough fuel on to fly to the destination, plus 10% of the scheduled flight time (1 hour), plus fuel to go missed and fly to the alternate, plus fuel to hold at the alternate at 1500' for 30 min.

The aircraft could have had 9 hours or more of fuel on board when it left Kuala Lumpur.

At least in the US, the crew is required to submit a manifest to the company before takeoff. The fuel on board is part of the manifest. Most airlines send it digitally from the cockpit and the fuel is automatically entered by the computer.

They know to the gallon how much was on that plane and verified it by the invoice from the fueler

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
According to latest reports, the airliner had enough fuel to reach Kazakhstan.

William Arthur Ward

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are now saying that the pilot not only has over 18,000 hours, but also has worked his entire career for the Malaysian Airline having started in 1981 (some 33 years), can't see him being part of any scheme.

Phil

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
More than one pilot but I'll admit I'm simply speculating like everyone else.

As of now, my speculating seems to be in the current ballpark.

Probably a new ballpark by tonight or tomorrow, though...just like every night over the last week.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
They are now saying that the pilot not only has over 18,000 hours, but also has worked his entire career for the Malaysian Airline having started in 1981 (some 33 years), can't see him being part of any scheme.

Phil

Maybe he went postal after doing the same thing for 33 years?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have to say that commercial flight seems to be the biggest goat [bleep] of any business model I have ever seen so I am not too surprised by the lack of progress thus far.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by deflave
I have to say that commercial flight seems to be the biggest goat [bleep] of any business model I have ever seen so I am not too surprised by the lack of progress thus far.

Travis

I daresay you have a better grasp of the biz than many airline ceo's. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Auger01

Travis

Of course he does, he Travis........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What about cell/seat phone service? How would somebody not have at least called their loved ones???

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What about cell/seat phone service? How would somebody not have at least called their loved ones???

Because they were being watched by the flight attendants.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you still drinking orange juice right out of the carton?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Because they were being watched by the flight attendants. How would they even know there was an issue?

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Auger01

Here is a day in the life of the air industry and its clients:

"Can you fly me over there in your airplane and have me landed by 1200pm tomorrow if I pay you $1,000.00?"

"Absolutely."

"Here is my $1,000.00. Thanks."

"Only problem is I can't take you there any more. My plane doesn't actually fly right now."

"I understand. Can I just have my money back?"

"No. Sorry."

"Can I at least have a discount since you didn't hold up your end of the bargain?"

"No. Sorry."

"Can I have my luggage back in the mean time?'

"We don't know where it is now. Sorry."

"WTF?"

"We can give you credit toward the next flight you book with us since we lost all your belongings."

"Ummm... ok?"

Travis

Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 14 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.