Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have over ten firings on same 50 brass... Zero issues

I actually just prepped another fifty out of boredom a few weeks back because I am gonna get a heavy rifle built in 6.5 too and start with 50 cases dedicated to it

[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Looks good!

I am going to try to make it this year, but have a hunt am waiting to hear on between now and April 30.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
I have over ten firings on same 50 brass... Zero issues

I actually just prepped another fifty out of boredom a few weeks back because I am gonna get a heavy rifle built in 6.5 too and start with 50 cases dedicated to it

[Linked Image]

Any of that 6.5 SAUM brass that hits the ground at the shoot is automatically the property of the shoot sponser.....just so you know....grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gear adrift is gear a-gift...grin.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
smile. Roger that

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck some of us don't have that much brass to start with, let alone part with!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So I shouldn't tell ya there is another 500 sitting by my bench then wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Gear adrift is gear a-gift...grin.

Travis

That goes for .223AI brass too, my friend.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And yes... That group was shot with that MagnetoSpeed hanging off it smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thing 7 Rem mags are archaic now, I don't have enough brass to give up... Grin.

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Explain why I have a box of 50 6.5 SAUM cases that have been loaded and fired 18 times, produce 3100fps with a 139gr bullet and still have snug primer pockets.....amazing how many "experts" there are out there with strong opinions on subjects they have zero experience with.

Do you have any first hand experience with the said cartridge?

Maybe you should drive up here in April and school all of us 6.5 SAUM shooters on how our rifles should run....

Because you are running at pressures that allow your primer pockets to stay tight. That does not mean you are below 58,000 psi.

Personally I would not get to hung up on exactly where you guys are in regards to pressure. Nothing wrong with 63,000 psi if the barrel life and accuracy holds out.

I don't for a second doubt the reported barrel life or accuracy and that is really the whole point.

A 140gr at 3100 fps is almost obsolete. laugh

I run the identical rifle as Pat, except mine is serial number 3.

I get 3140 with the 140 amax here in the 307. 61.5 grains H1000

200yard zero

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will be at Pats in April.... All the nay Sayers can show up and see the facts in person

Nice shootin Scott.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That goes for .223AI brass too, my friend.

Good news for this guy! I'm done with AI's. Goin' SAAMI .223 all-da-way...

But I have been buying a lot of Lapua so I'll be keeping an eye out regardless.... grin

You know how you keep a kid from losing brass in the field? Because I don't...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geezus will somebody go buy a strain gauge and hook it up? smile

The suspense on here is killing me! cry

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Explain why I have a box of 50 6.5 SAUM cases that have been loaded and fired 18 times, produce 3100fps with a 139gr bullet and still have snug primer pockets.....amazing how many "experts" there are out there with strong opinions on subjects they have zero experience with.

Maybe you should drive up here in April and school all of us 6.5 SAUM shooters on how our rifles should run....

Because you are running at pressures that allow your primer pockets to stay tight. That does not mean you are below 58,000 psi.

Personally I would not get to hung up on exactly where you guys are in regards to pressure. Nothing wrong with 63,000 psi if the barrel life and accuracy holds out.

I don't for a second doubt the reported barrel life or accuracy and that is really the whole point.

200yard zero

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will be at Pats in April.... All the nay Sayers can show up and see the facts in person

Nice shootin Scott.

Exactly.....who cares? Every time I mention this cartridge on here someone calls bullschit.....I'm getting sick of it.

Last edited by scenarshooter; 03/16/14.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4th Point,

In general any smokeless powder does burn more consistently within the general range its designed for, but a case FULL of powder will burn consistently even if the ideal pressure isn't reached.

Don't know exactly what you mean by a secondary pressure excursion.

John,

One of my old Hornady manuals (and some other sources I've seen) state that slow burning powders should not be reduced, but used near max charge. I think people were claiming that the rounds could "detonate" but the debate started over "detonation" and how smaller charges could somehow produce enough pressure to blow a barrel/receiver when larger charges don't. Seems that all rounds "detonate" or else we wouldn't have a functional cartridge smile

Secondary pressure excursion was explained elsewhere as a primer flame front that travels over the top of a partially filled case of slow burning powder. The bullet moves into the rifling but the charge isn't burning in the typical manner. By the time the charge starts burning in a normal fashion, pressures rise rapidly... so fast that the bullet now acts as a fixed obstruction and the receiver/barrel takes the stress.

I didn't know if this "secondary pressure excursion" was a real phenomenon or another gun myth.

In terms of the 6.5 SAUM, I don't doubt the results. Low pressure, but over a longer period of time using slow burning powder. Just that low pressures make me assume that there is low case fill, which made me think of the warnings on slow burning powders.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/16/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

200yard zero

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice shootin Scott.

Exactly.....who cares? Every time I mention this cartridge on here someone calls bullschit.....I'm getting sick of it.

Pat,

I personally appreciate how much you have shared with all here and other sites. There is a 6.5 SAUM in my future and I look forward to shooting it enough to "disprove" everything you've written. <grin>

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The case holds some 73 grains of water and a 59-62 grain load is a full power load. No worries that it will spload with H1000.

This cartridge looks ideal for hunting as well as target use.

Thanks for sharing the information.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
4th point,

That's what I thought you might be referring to, the reason I asked for the explanation.

Those excursions have never been reported with powder charges less than 90% of case capacity. That's the criteria for "reduced" loads with slow powders, not pressure. The charges of H1000 being discussed in the 6.5 SAUM are well above 90%.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Akbob5

200yard zero

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice shootin Scott.

Pat,

I personally appreciate how much you have shared with all here and other sites. There is a 6.5 SAUM in my future and I look forward to shooting it enough to "disprove" everything you've written. <grin>

+1

I set out a couple of years ago to put together a dedicated antelope rifle so I had Gre'tan rifles put me together a 6.5 X 47L on a rem700. The finished rifle was a little heavy for what I wanted in a hunting rifle so I retired it to practical comps where it has excelled. Since then I have been once again researching the best possible antelope cartridge / rifle combo. This is when I found the threads that Pat and Sendero posted on SH and it did not take long to realize that there was something to the 4S. So I ordered a GAP Non Typical which santa delivered a couple of days before Christmas. I prepped my norma brass and I will soon be wringing it out. ( work has had me very busy ) I expect nothing but performance from this rifle / cartridge. I also bought a LRHS that will go on my lightweight 6.5 creedmoor.

Thanks Pat, Sendero and George!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent. Thanks for that info on case-fill John.

Jason

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.