Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Does this sound feasible?

I have a junk 26" .303 barrel off of an 1899A takedown rifle. The plan is to send it down to Briley and have it bored and chambered for 3" .410 shotshell with the tightest choke possible. The intent is to have an auxiliary .410 barrel that attaches like a normal rifle barrel and be suitable for the .410 turkey shoots that are popular at a couple of clubs out in western Maryland.

I know the original .410 barrels had 2�" chambers, so I'm wondering if there will be enough room to finagle a 3" shell into the chamber with the bolt completely open. 3" shells are necessary because the rules state any weight shot is permissible in the loads used (handloads are ok- everybody uses them)- and one can squeeze a lot more #9's into a 3" hull than a 2�". Some guys are loading over an ounce in the little buggers, with a correspondingly puny powder charge- the shot only has to make it 20 yards to the target. Some of those guys get patterns with their .410 "race guns" that are all but totally contained on the 5x8" target- hence the need for a crazy tight choke (or possibly screw-in choke tubes).

I figure it'll get the tongues wagging amongst the locals when I show up with the thing to compete against their Browning pumps and Stevens single shots. One guy spent almost $1000 on a custom barrel with scope mount for his old Stevens single shot, and yes, he takes home more than his share of hams and turkeys.

It's a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon when there's nothing else to do.

Thoughts? It'll be an adjunct barrel for the takedown custom I'm (still) working on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go for it and let us know how it works out

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gary,im not sure about the 3" shell working in the receiver,because of the length of the fired shell being to long to eject correctly???? maybe it will. the other thing is the bottom dovetail for the takedown latch stud,i wonder how thick the barrel would be in that area after its bored for the 410??? i know some have done it with the stud instead of the knurled fore end screw.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like an interesting idea

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be worried about wall thickness as well.

Figure out what your wall thickness will be before it's been chambered for the 410, might just be throwing money away.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like the way your thinking, but Kinda side with Don and Joe, im putting togather a 410 99 with out the knurled knob thing also but cheated and just traded into the 410 barrel all done, still have to use the takedown forarm tho! I hunted one fall season, with one of the savage 410 barrels, shot a few squirrels with it but the forarm would come off about ever other shot! I wish you luck in your endever!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have noticed that the ejection on mine with the shorter shell is sometimes hard to get the hull out, the 3" mine be worse?

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think you should start with something like this
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400402329

Take what you don't need off the bbl spin it, thread it, chamber it, see how she shoots, add tubes if needed.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think it sounds like a great idea. I have a .410 barrel on a 99 and the walls were made pretty thin at the factory. I must believe that the barrel you end up with will be at least that thick. That said, I do think the barrel maker can tell you ahead of time what the thickness will be. Let us know. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How thin is thin Steve?

What's the wall thickness of the factory barrels?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by texken
I have noticed that the ejection on mine with the shorter shell is sometimes hard to get the hull out, the 3" mine be worse?

half to remember a 2i/2 shell expands to almost 3 upon firing ,, how about using a 303 brit shell expanded to 410 load it a little heavy with 38 bore[ therefor FULL CHOKE that should get you a small pattern at 20 yds grin

norm

Last edited by norm99; 03/17/14.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary,im not sure about the 3" shell working in the receiver,because of the length of the fired shell being to long to eject correctly???

Ejection is not a problem given that the rifle is a take down and you can always drop the forearm and unscrew the barrel to eject the spent shell with a ramrod/cleaning rod. Kinda caveman style but it would work. Problem is will he be able to finagle the 3" cartridge into the chamber. wink grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell Gary, If your shooting targets with it you can screw the barrel off to reload. Kind of like breach seating with fewer tools required.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want it to eject I think using a brass case sounds like the way to go. The opening from bolt face to rear of the receiver ring is close to 3". You could trim the case to what ever the max length that works. A 3" might not work but it would be more than 2 1/2".

You can buy 2 1/2" brass but didn't find 3". Found a video on U-Tube making the case from a 9.3x74R. Or go as Norm suggested above.

Last edited by Rick99; 03/18/14.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There appears to be enough barrel wall thickness under the dovetail cut. Waiting on a reply from Briley as to whether there's enough, considering how far ahead of the chamber it is + the relatively low pressure of a .410 shell compared to a rifle cartridge.

Actually, Gary's suggestion makes sense. Upon actually trying a shell in an un-barreled TD action (do you realize how hard it is to find a .410 shell when you only need one and you don't have any?), a loaded shell can be wrestled in, I think, but as stated above getting the empty out is the killer. When I get it done, I think I'll have it chambered for 3" and do the unscrew the barrel routine to at least get the empty out. After all, the way these matches work is you fire a shot and then go and grab a coffee and a hot dog while waiting for the targets in your relay to be scored. It may not be another half-hour until you fire the next shot-- plenty of time to go through that rigamarole. If I should ever want to use it in the field, there's no reason 2�" shells can't be used in the 3" chamber. (Not that I would want to use it for hunting what with the nasty �ber-tight choke.)

I have to check the rules, Rick, but I think one is obliged to use standard factory hulls even though one is allowed to use reloads. As I said initially 3" hulls are necessary in order to squeeze in the maximum amount of #9 shot. (Nothing smaller is allowed- one guy got busted for using #11 or 12 shot. What counts is the BB hole closest to the center-X. The more BB's on the paper the better the chance of winning. Conversely, I saw a guy win once who only managed maybe a dozen hits instead of a few hundred- he had one lone BB dead center.)

Actually another big downside is having to have a second fore arm made since the shot barrel will be larger in diameter than the rest of the 1899H barrels in the set, which means scrounging up all the hardware for a second one.

Mama said it wouldn't be easy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well then just make a cap with a firing pin to screw onto the barrel after loading the shell. Touch it off with a hammer. Now you dont need any fore arm at all. No need to thank me, but if you must, PM me for my paypal address.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scratch that. Attach the barrel to a 25# block of steel, call it a bench rest fore arm. Good steady rest. Then just open the lever and unscrew the action from the barrel and "fore arm" to load.

Remembering The 99
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow! You are the "Idea Man"! Can you cook up a cell phone app that allows you to fire my gun from out there when I get the sights lined up? It'll save me from stressing my trigger finger that got smashed when struggling with a 25# steel forearm.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you mill a little of the front ring you maybe able to get the length needed to eject the spent case? You maybe able to remove a little off the bolt stop and that may gain some as well? The rules say you can use screw in chokes? What about bbl length?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Screw in chokes- ok. No bbl length restrictions. No milling of the rear face of the receiver ring is possible, Chris. There's only a thin web about 1/16" thick there that the rear of the barrel butts up against.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,580
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.