Print Thread
Hop To
K
koot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hello, my lovely wife has out of the blue taken an interest in hunting this year. She was looking at rifles today and she liked the weight and fit of this rifle the best out of all we tried.
My question is what is the recoil like out of such a light gun with the muzzle break removed? That would be the only thing I am worried about with this setup.
Thanks,
Koot

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While it does kick my wife shoots her 6 pound all up (rifle, scope, rings) Rem Model 7 in .308 win and has taken quite a few different animals with it. That said she has also has shot my 5.5 pound all up Customized Kimber Montana 84m (rifle itself is actually lighter than the mountain ascent) and it doesn't have a muzzle break without issue.

Its neither is a sit down and shoot a couple boxes of ammo at the range type of rifle, but the she certainly can shoot them more than adequate. If these shot other rifles before and has good mechanics and doesn't flinch she should be fine IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about your wife, but my wife loves to shoot and recoil doesn't bother her in the least. She's 5'5" and weighs about 115 and carries a Kimber 84M in 7mm-08 that weighs a little over 6 lbs all up. Can't imagine the Ascent in 308 would recoil much more than the 7mm-08.

Letting her pick her own rifle is the smartest move you could have made.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
koot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks guys. She is a complete newbie but loves the mountains and is quite fit.
she will need to start right with a 22 first and then move up to some reduced loads in what ever rifle she buys. It worked for the kids so it seems only natural to introduce an adult in the same way.
I have been looking at alaska lanche's threads hunting with his missus and I will slowly let her gain confidence and skill and with any luck I will be able to hunt with her in a similar manor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don't mention anything about bears around her and you should be golden. grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

K
koot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
no kidding eh. She has been around enough to know all about that. My Son and I got charged by a Grizzly Sow with two big cubs a few years ago....Didn't have to kill her but I was a split second away from doing so when she changed her angle and retreated with her cubs. Too close for comfort!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 689 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,637
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.