-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need some help sorting through which ranch to apply for. I applied for one last year, I had 14 points. This year I will have 15 points. So any suggestions and information would be appreciated. I don't have any preferences on where in the state I hunt. Thanks for any responses. CH

The older I get the better I was.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm only familiar with the deer on two RFW units. I won't even tell you the first one but my wife has 15 points for it and it takes 19 to draw. The other is the Snake River Ranch, which you could draw last year with a minimum of 11 points and a max of 17. They had A LOT of nice bucks when I hunted elk there in several years ago. I sat in one spot on a hill on the west side of the ranch and the 2 hunters below me pushed over 100 deer past my spot....all within 100 yards of me. About a dozen of those would have been shooters for anyone. There were another half dozen big guys bedded above and beyond me. It was a tough year with early and deep snow. Having said that, I would NEVER hunt there again....because, in my opinion, the ranch manger is a clown. Just my opinion.

Last edited by plainview; 03/15/14.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which RFW property did you apply for last year and why?

Checkout and call ranch owners / managers for specific RFW properties to get familiar with what you can't and can do. Also this is to insure that you will be hunting around or with the right people.

I'm kinda feeling the later the season the better like dec if possible - season dates can and are important

I don't have any preferences on where in the state I hunt.

Go where historically genetics are best.
Winter kill, Droughts and feed can cause good deer populations and quality one year and near nothing the next. Scout and check out the areas of interest...
If you need a second person, hunting companion let me know. I can assist if needed - sitting at 11 PP.

Last edited by badaboom; 03/16/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's a useful article from the CO P&W web page. Click on the name of each ranch to get a detailed description of that ranch. If you read each description, it will take a couple of hours, but once completed you will have a pretty good idea of what's offered.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/RFWParticipating.aspx

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses. KC I'v spent sometime on that site, thanks for the link.
I'm hoping someone will come along that's hunted some of these properties with some advice.

The older I get the better I was.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
chime in
Which RFW property did you apply for last year and why?
What area have you frequented or basically felt would be good prospects.

I have hunted Hill Ranch RFW in 2004 for elk.
The ranch manager there stated he would not hunt deer on the property that was his opinion, just not that great of numbers or larger quality bucks.

I have been on a continual review of where to use my PP for Mule Deer.

Largest deer taken in my camp was in unit 44 and was a 28 1/2 5x5. Early 1990s General tag 3rd season.

Last edited by badaboom; 03/18/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by plainview
I'm only familiar with the deer on two RFW units. I won't even tell you the first one but my wife has 15 points for it and it takes 19 to draw. The other is the Snake River Ranch, which you could draw last year with a minimum of 11 points and a max of 17. They had A LOT of nice bucks when I hunted elk there in several years ago. I sat in one spot on a hill on the west side of the ranch and the 2 hunters below me pushed over 100 deer past my spot....all within 100 yards of me. About a dozen of those would have been shooters for anyone. There were another half dozen big guys bedded above and beyond me. It was a tough year with early and deep snow. Having said that, I would NEVER hunt there again....because, in my opinion, the ranch manger is a clown. Just my opinion.

Would you care to share his name? Probably the same one I had problems with several years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1266102/1
For Snake River Ranch - Contact, might not be Ranch manager...
Pat Grieve
P.O. Box 240
Baggs, Wyoming 82321

Last edited by badaboom; 03/19/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.