Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Alaska airlines didn't charge me extra when flying up there last year and mine was definitely over 50 lbs. it may of been waived due to having exec platinum status on American Airlines tho.

GB1

B
B
Alaska airlines has always treated my double aluminum gun case as a normal piece of luggage (I didn't have to pay extra). Either get the aluminum or a Pelican case.

Who is Henry Bowman and where is he when we need him?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
+1 for the Tuffpak, holds much more than just a rifle. I'm able to place my rifle in the soft case in it then pack it with other gear to reach 50lbs. I also use sports cases like this lockable golf case, these don't get the attention rifle cases do.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Mustang also...what year is it?

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by markopolo50
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
+1 for the Tuffpak, holds much more than just a rifle. I'm able to place my rifle in the soft case in it then pack it with other gear to reach 50lbs. I also use sports cases like this lockable golf case, these don't get the attention rifle cases do.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking Mustang also...what year is it?

I have flown many times with both my Tuffpak and the Golf case and have not been charged extra on Alaska Airlines.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
TSA says ammo can be carried in the case with the gun in packaging suitable for small arms ammunition. The airlines has the right to make this more restrictive if they choose but currently none of the US carriers do. Good idea to print out and carry the TSA guidelines and the specific carrier guidelines.

The US carriers allow one rifle case to count as one checked piece even if it exceeds the dimensional limits, again carry a printout of the guidelines. If it exceeds 50 pound you will be charged for excess weight.

Alaska Airlines:
Firearms / Shooting Equipment
The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.
� Shooting Equipment
� One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
� One shotgun case with shotguns, or
� One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
There is no limit to the number or type of firearms (rifles/shotguns/pistols) per case. Different firearm types may be in the same case as long as each type is properly packed.

Ammunition
On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3440-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/baggage-firearms.aspx

http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_ammunition.html

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

I used an older Pelican, then a Tuffpak to Mongolia, now again back to the newer style pelican. Both have their pros and cons. For me the convenience of the pelican outweighs its disadvantages. I pack it to 49lb and always take a pic of its contents before flying.

[Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used a lockable SKB R4913S golf club travel case since 2003 for all my travels with a rifle. Room for the rifle and you can surround the rifle in a soft case with clothes and other items. I take some comfort in thinking that baggage handlers and others think they are throwing around golf clubs rather than a rifle (if they do not take notice of the attached seal).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also used a Pelican case on my trip to Alaska last year after all the recommendations from the fire. I flew AK air and had no problems. Ammo can be in the case as already said. I was not charged for oversized luggage.
Just make sure you read up on how it is supposed to be locked. TSA locks for your luggage. Regular locks on your gun case.
Plan on your nice new case looking ten years old after your flight. I literally watched the baggage guy THROW my case down a ramp on my return flight into Boston. cool

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

Last edited by Centurion75; 03/25/14.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,263
Posts18,504,873
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.