Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me this has been an interesting topic. So far my "take away" has been that three shot groups are a very poor predictor of the true accuracy potential, cold bore first shots are very important, stacking error is not simple addition, true .5" shooting hunting rifles are almost non existent and tack diving accuracy isn't needed to cleaning take deer and such out to 400yds or so. What did I leave out ?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thinking nothing. Except perhaps moving away from the bench frequently.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this chilly Friday morning finds you acceptably well - and warm enough.

Thanks for your last post as when I read it in context with the previous posts from JB, Denton and BobinNH it gelled a few concepts for me personally.

Way back in the dark ages when I was absorbed with group shooting an article by I believe Mike Venturino suggested more or less that only the first two shots from a cold, clean hunting rifle barrel were meaningful.

I recall being more than a tad nonplussed by that revelation as it both made sense and turned my then current theories on their collective ears..... frown

Anyway John, of all the rifles we've had pass through our hands over the decades in between then and now, the ones that will plant the first two shots from a cold barrel where we want them are the ones that get taken out hunting anymore.

I'll note that at this point in our hunting we don't generally shoot that far compared to many folks here, but if we do begin down that path a rifle that will hit where I need it to with the first round will be the one that goes up the mountain behind the house come fall.

Thanks again for your post John and the rest of our 'Fire cyber friends as well. All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

In other words I think I get more feedback per shot on both my shooting and the rifle by shooting to the point of aim than just shooting a "group" somewhere on the paper.

Yeah, there's a difference between shooting for score and shooting for group. But a rifle that can't group isn't going to shoot a high score. Unless of course you're just a very lucky bad shot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The issue with "groups" is that the first shot is always a freebie as all one shot groups are equal. For a hunting rifle, the first shot is the most important. How close to point of aim a rifle/shooter can place that first shot and how close to point of aim all the subsequent shots hit means more to me than "group size".

I put a new barrel on my AR last week and finally had things dry out enough to fine tune the bipod/no rear bag zero at 100yds shooting the 70gr VLD.

Dots were shot from bottom left to top right.
After first 3 shot string scope was adjusted down 1/3 MOA
After second 3 shot string scope was adjusted left 1/4 MOA
I lost some focus on the middle 2 strings. cry

[Linked Image]

While the "group size" of the middle targets was not horrible the high shots stand out and show more of a shooter issue and not a rifle issue.

In other words I think I get more feedback per shot on both my shooting and the rifle by shooting to the point of aim than just shooting a "group" somewhere on the paper.

John: Agreed.

Rhetorical question: Does anyonebother practicing with a rifle that isn't zeroed? smile confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Thinking nothing. Except perhaps moving away from the bench frequently.

True that. ^
Lots of guys never practice field shooting until they're in the field.
Have a good friend that's a prime example. He shoots circles around me at the range but hits about one out of ten when we're Coyote hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
John;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this chilly Friday morning finds you acceptably well - and warm enough.

Thanks for your last post as when I read it in context with the previous posts from JB, Denton and BobinNH it gelled a few concepts for me personally.

Way back in the dark ages when I was absorbed with group shooting an article by I believe Mike Venturino suggested more or less that only the first two shots from a cold, clean hunting rifle barrel were meaningful.

I recall being more than a tad nonplussed by that revelation as it both made sense and turned my then current theories on their collective ears..... frown

Anyway John, of all the rifles we've had pass through our hands over the decades in between then and now, the ones that will plant the first two shots from a cold barrel where we want them are the ones that get taken out hunting anymore.

I'll note that at this point in our hunting we don't generally shoot that far compared to many folks here, but if we do begin down that path a rifle that will hit where I need it to with the first round will be the one that goes up the mountain behind the house come fall.

Thanks again for your post John and the rest of our 'Fire cyber friends as well. All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

Same back at ya, Dwayne grin

Originally Posted by deflave

Yeah, there's a difference between shooting for score and shooting for group. But a rifle that can't group isn't going to shoot a high score. Unless of course you're just a very lucky bad shot.

Travis

Travis,

Good point on calling it "shooting for score". I would point out that hunting rifles are shot for score while hunting.

I figure why not shoot for score all the time and get more feedback on each shot.

Shooting groups vs shooting for score. Somebody needs to write an article. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
John: Agreed.

Rhetorical question: Does anyonebother practicing with a rifle that isn't zeroed? smile confused

Another good point, Bob.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shooting for score with a hunting rifle is often referred to as a "thing hitter" by Steelhead.

I'm one of those guys that has rifles that not only group well, but always hit things. It's almost like they go hand in hand.

But I know you already know this spray tannin' sumbitch.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Sometimes I do. Zeroing is just twisting the knobbies.

I still get to practice breathing, hold, sight picture, and trigger pull.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm one of the best shots I know of and don't really give a tinker's damn about shooting groups. I would rather shoot stuff and realize that even the best shooters miss once in awhile...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
fishead we all do at some point of course and it helps on the mechanics....until we get serious about the practice end of things, ie "hitting", not just shooting groups.....,which comes sooner rather than later for me, because I lack the patience for a lot of load tweaking.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm lucky enough to have an underground range at my club, so wind is not a factor. With high velocity rounds like my .22-250, .257 Wthby or .243 with light bullets, I shoot 3 shot groups to avoid waiting forever for barrels to cool. But I do place the targets in the same spot as it is revealing when you take that third target off and see what that 9 shot group looks like. We use target stapled to cardboard backing, hanging from a steel frame, and I put a new sheet of brown paper on the cardboard before shooting. I then draw a line along the top of the first target and mark the corners so the others go in the same place.

Most of the time, I don't get more than a couple of shots at game if the first one isn't good.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal

,,,, an article by I believe Mike Venturino suggested more or less that only the first two shots from a cold, clean hunting rifle barrel were meaningful.

Dwayne

I NEVER, repeat NEVER take a rifle hunting with a 'CLEAN' barrel. By that I mean it has to be shot at least TWICE to powder foul the bll. for the POI (zero) to be correct.

I can give MANY examples of myself or friends checking for zero AFTER cleaning the barrel and the first and sometimes second shot being OFF. Sometimes it's a matter of 1" or so, sometimes noticeably more. It's also NOT consistently hi, low, right, or left.

You have to shoot it ON a clean bore to find out where it is. Then slowly shoot 2-3 more and see IF you're back to zero +.

Now, I totally agree that the MOST important thing is the FIRST and second shot being "on" with a cold barrel.

This is my mileage>>>>YMMV.

Last edited by jwall; 03/22/14.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I never hunt with a clean barrel.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For my purposes hitting things is what it is all about. After zeroing and logging the drop w/ the rounds I want to carry I practice in the field. I am lucky enough to live where I can be in the hills in an hour. I like to take out a few 6"" steel gongs and place them out from 100-350 yds. I then practice ranging and shooting them from various positions to see what I can actually do in the field w/ whatever wind the day gives me. I believe I can responsibly hunt at the ranges I can consistently keep rounds in 6". I am not a great shot but I enjoy working at it. I feel really good when I can ring the gong 3 times in a row past 400 yards. I really enjoy being outside and shooting and try to do it weekly. It gives me a lot of confidence when hunting. Another great topic, this is a great site.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I never knew this hunting rifle accuracy thing was so elusive. I shoot DBC treated HCR and Tikka 695 7mags, and a Tikka 7-08 primarily. I can't say there's much difference between a "fouler" shot, and shots 2-5, especially since I'm shooting at a 10" kill zone. I kind of gotta agree with that MV guy. Shot #1 is where the money's at.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold bore shot should be called cold brain shot.....

Cold bore shot = urban myth. If I have a rifle that "throws" the first shot, the barrel gets taken off and thrown in the garbage.

[Linked Image]

This challenge turned out exactly as I thought it would when I did it last summer with a bunch of other shooters over a five day period on another site.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I always hunt with a cold, lightly fouled barrel, when possible. I don't believe the "cold" part of the equation causes much trouble. It's the "clean" part, because clean barrels often aren't. Depending on who's doing the maintenance, there can be a lot of leftover solvent, oil, etc. in the barrel, and that's where some come to grief.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
K W -

YEP!! +1

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.