-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be advised that Whites uses thick leather and are very stiff when new. For your needs the Whites should be perfect. You mentioned large calfs and foot/ankle issues so I would go custom made for your feet.

When new I soak them in warm water for about 45 minutes then put on plastic bags over my socks and walk them dry. Once dry I oil with mink oil.

I've found this method cuts my break in time significantly and lends to boots more custom molded to my feet.

I'm not a boot or leather pro but my current pair are over 8 years old and on their 4th pair of soles and are holding up great.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I second the Whites. I broke a foot a couple years ago, had some surgery, and 6 weeks later they handed me one of those velcro walking boots and said go forth and play. After two days of horrid suffering, I fully opend up my boot, got the foot in, laced it up, and it was like a laying on of the hands.

One will not get a pair delivered in a day, however. Expensive, made in the US, can be rebuilt, and damned well worth it.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a pair of Hathornes, a little lighter leather than the Whites but along the same theme. I didn't know that you were willing to pony up for custom made boots. That changes things a little. Danner might make you some leather lined boots as well. Very few places still use leather linings; they are generally noisy.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I don't have a choice if I skimp I could be crippled forever if I go in the field this fall. If paying extra gets me into something that will fit me right and better protect me I will go that path. Hard to put a value on the ability to walk. I didn't realize the leather linings would be noisy. My shoes aren't but are much thinner. Are they just squeaky when you walk? Also on the hunter boots they offer three or four tread patterns. I am assuming the lug style would be best but am open to suggestions. They have one that looks smooth. Not sure where those would be good and some that are smooth on the edges and lug style in the middle. Thanks for the help.
-Jeremia

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The only scarey thing is my legs are currently out of proportion due to atrophy etc. If my legs fully recover they will be different than they currently are. If I oversize them in anticipation and then they don't fully recover/fill in the boots will fit weird. Maybe see what their lead time is and try and hold out a month or two to see how much my legs recover. The only problem with that is I need them even when I start working in the garden due to the soft soil. Or I just skip the garden this year and pay someone to come mow. I got a quote and they want 300 a month to come do my .5 acre yard.

IC B2

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Maybe Dennis's suggestion of the Rainforest boots for now until my legs recover then upgrade when my legs have fully recovered. Then I could wear the RF boot's for gardening, working around the house.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you considered using a brace until your legs are strengthened? They can be worn inside a regular shoe but extend up the leg for the ankle support.

Last edited by Big_un; 03/21/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned Whites, custom made, and they are the worst boot I can think of for your application. Heavy, stiff and with a multi-layer thick platform sole. For back-breaking tree work on mossy or snowy slopes they might just be the cat's meow, especially corked. But for an injured person in need of support they are no bueno. A thick, stiff, ultra heavy sole is going to be hard on you. There is no way you will sense the ground like you need to.

If the above describes the logger-type Whites, but not all their boots, disregard. But they are cool in the way Cat D10s are cool ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If this is your want

I like the white un-insulated hunter but with a dress boot finish so I can wear them at work wonder if they can make me a hybrid boot that way I can wear them in the office too.

Look at Red Wing's offerings. Be advised, you are going to pay a price for gore-tex type liners. I have used them for years, but they are a little warmer than uninsulated. Unless your boot is total leather, which will be hot any way. Yes, the liner will wear in spots, but you will still have a highly capable boot which retains water 'proof' features longer than outside coatings.

I liked the Irish Setters but immediately replaced the sole with a gum rubber Vibram. I like a boot on the flexible side with lots of 'feel'. This may not be advisable in your condition. Red Wing has some great-looking boots I would wear to the office. There are ways to get the support you want without more sole stiffness than is comfortable. Most stiff-soled boots are made for heavy loadbearing. I guess if your ankle does not have full mobility you may like this aspect. I backpacked the above setup in rocky, hilly conditions with a heavy load and no problems. But for a daily diet of such, a stiffer boot would be better. Only 5% of my hiking is like that though, so my flexible boots have done well. For three soles now. This year, however, I'm in the market as well. Good luck with recovery!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know you'll need support initially, but I would highly recommend getting away from braces and heavy amounts of ankle support as quickly as you can.

They'll only make your injury take longer to heal and you could end up being as fragile as a fine piece of crystal as time rolls by. All those tendons and ligaments and muscles we don't know about have to strengthen ASAP.

As far as boots I have worn the Danner Ft. Lewis for a long time and I like them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whites makes an Outdoorsman boot that looks a lot like the Rain Forest and DOESN"T have a tall heel or platform sole. It is the only one of their offerings that looks interesting to me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wit my back injury the high heel and support of a loggers boot is gives me the most comfort and support. As I said above, I have had Double H and Whites. The Whites were harder to break in by far but may last the rest of my days. Double H was comfortable the first day but they only lasted five years of everyday wear. Both are made in the US.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I was told the higher heel was what I needed. I actually fell today in the yard ( OK not supposed to be crutching in the yard ) had to rush in for an X-ray but all the bone fragments held up. I think Deflav has it close with the ligaments needing to heal the problem is the bone fragments in the leg which is both bones won't ever heal. I was told the Ti rod is the bone so to speak and the fragments are just floating. If I don't have the support and fall who knows what the shards will do. I am more worried about them then the actually ankle. The muscles where severed on both legs to the bone ( compartment syndrome almost took both my legs ) But it is vertically from knee to ankle all the way to the bone. I think I am ok on those tendons.
The leg that took the impact is the one with all the nerve damage though and my ankle will never full bend to my shin again which doesn't sound terrible but if you try walking look how far back your ankle actually bends in your stride. I now have to stick my leg out in front of me and then kind of shuffle. They said 1-2 years for recovery and never 100 percent again. That is why I think more support is better. The best part of all this is the lady ran a red light with no insurance or license. She lost it for a DWI but they didn't breathalyze her and the company said if I didn't have insurance and lived off the government they would have covered all of my costs. Yet another time when being a maker instead of a taker bites you in the butt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Don't listen to those doctors that say schit like that. You can recover 100%.

Sorry about your accident. Maybe when your foot heals we can go find her and give her a solid kchunt punt?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Don't have to find her she keeps calling my house wanting me to buy her a new 2k dollar Kia to replace the one I totaled with my body. Oh her scumbag 40 year old ex con boyfriend called too. You wonder what the @#%$ these people are thinking. They demanded my 8 month pregnant wife give them the number of my hospital room. I can just see myself now strangling some idiot with my IV line.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Oh and they are suing me because he has to ride the bus to work. Must be nice when he told me that I was living in the Trauma section of the hospital crapping in a bed pan. Yeah I am going to give them sympathy.SMH

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Let us know what you end up getting and how they work. If you get them a little big on the calf, you can wrap with an ace bandage for a few months until you reverse the atrophy. I wouldn't worry too much about the tread pattern.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Be aware that the Whites do take a long time to break in, that is the only negative to them, once they are broken in they are very comfortable.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.