Print Thread
Hop To
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hello,have any of you used internet auto purchasing companies like autobytel.com or carsdirect.com etc.If so how was your experience.How do you find out the good ones.Appreciate any input you may have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bought my last 4 rigs,sight unseen,via the 'net. Two from private parties,two from dealers.

3 were Toyota's,1 a Honda,that's how you get good ones.

No complaints...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Raj, The Internet has really leveled the playing field in Dealer vs. Purchaser negotiations. Most people I know have had very good experiences with autobytel and carsdirect. Another approach is to utilize your own local and regional Dealers. One point to consider, if you choose this route, is to plan your purchase at the end of a calender month. An aquaintence of mine who has spent many years in the auto industry points out that all Dealerships are under Sales quotas from the Manufacturer, and all Dealership Sales Managers are under quotas from either the Dealer Principal or Corporation, if so owned. Further down the ladder, Salesmen operate under the same quotas with additional "unit bonuses" if objectives are met. My friend says quotas tend to fall in two categories: Unobtainable and Absolutely Unobtainable. Buying at the very end of the month, especially if it happens to be the last full business day, can oftentimes put you in the position to buy at near true cost as they might need that one unit to satisfy quotas. Find the vehicle you want and at the end of the month, e-mail 3 Dealers the exact same message: You want "x" vehicle; you are taking the lowest price quote; you are purchasing within 24 hours. They will e-mail and say: "Why don't you come in and and test drive?" This is simply so you can be placed in front of a Negotiator that, unless you negotiate for a living, is likely better at it than you. Be firm. They will come around as the clock ticks down...When you arrive at the selected Dealer, they have one more shot at "Extra Dealer Profit", which is in the Finance Office. Listen politely, and buy NONE of the products and sevices offered such as "Paint Protectant" (nothing more than a 200-500 dollar wax job) or "Anti Theft Window Etching" at 100-200 dollars (your Insurance Company will do it FREE) or "GAP" insurance (if you think you need it ,you can do much better on your own) . Get Pre-Approved at your own Bank or Credit Union for the Purchase Price plus tax and title before you go to the Dealer. If your Credit Score is anything North of say 685, and they offer to Finance (which they will), tell them to quote their "buy rate" plus one point, and compare it to what you already have. Anything over $100.00 for either "Prep" fees or "Doc" fees is just more EDP (Extra Dealer Profit). Negotiate it. Finally, make friends with the Service Manager as this is the guy you will interact with the most after the sale , if only for routine service. Remember, Sales, Service and Parts are THREE SEPERATE ENTITIES. The Service Manager does'nt care if you paid full window sticker or bought at dead cost; he gets paid to service your vehicle, and gets to keep his job if you give him high marks in what is known as "CSI" (Customer Satisfaction Index, which is YOUR report back to the Manufacturer on how well this Dealer is taking care of you). Assure him, in a tactfull way, that if he takes good care of you, you will give him the Highest marks on CSI. Hope this helps! Lookout.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man,I done it ALL wrong.

I just picked a purty color and mailed a check.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you all for the info.Lookout scj,thank you very much for all the valuable info.Very good points and I appreciate it.Is it wise to give credit card info to carsdirect.com or autobytel.com for purpose of holding the vehicle for you/or as a deposit?..I think that is unwise and could lead to problems.What do you think.

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Raj, Having recently been through the "Identity Theft" ringer, I'm reluctant to give my card out to anyone at the moment. I think what autobytel etc. are looking for is an excercise in "Good Faith" that you intend to purchase if the price is agreed upon. Unless this a really hard to get vehicle however, I don't see the need to leave a deposit. Auto Dealers currently have more inventory than they have buyers. Lookout.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.