Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of great finds...I might be off on my dates on this but its as close as I remember.

A rich guy in Italy ordered a new Rolls. It was in the '50's or 60's IIRC. At the time, there was a 2 year wait as each car was hand built. He paid for it in full and waited. However, before it came, he died. When it was delivered, his widow had it put in the barn, still in the shipping crate. It sat there, unopened, for between 30 and 40 years. When the woman died, the estate was auctioned off, including the car. It was bought by an American who had it shipped to his home in CA. He opened the crate and the car saw daylight for the 1st time in 40 years. It was still covered in the anti-rust grease they used at the time. While he was getting it cleaned up, he discovered that there was no owners manual. He wrote to Rolls Royce, explaining the circumstances, and asked it was still possible to get a manual for it. In short order, a Rolls rep knocked on his door and handed him the manual in person, along with a NEW CAR WARRANTY. They said it had never been driven and was worthy of a new warranty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
IIRC, I read somewhere that only 20 1967 Corvettes got the upgraded 1966 427 cubic inch L88 engine, which is going to send this cars price through the roof.

Pair that with the excellent condition and story behind the car and someone will be in for one big ass payday.

Others with this rare motor have sold for $1,000,000

That car isn't an L88. 427/390 in this one. The L88's have sold in the millions IIRC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Darby sent me a message telling me this. Too bad, but I still bet they get a good chunk of change for it.

Wish I had a neighbor like that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Cool story

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Exactly, the new generation of super cars are made for worn out old guys that want the performance of a muscle car and the ride of a Cadillac...

I'm with you there. Even though not a muscle car as it makes a measly 275 hp, my wife's e430 benz has such a perfect blend of rock solid ride, smoothness, quiet and comfort you can find yourself just shy of triple digits with ease.

If I wanted and every day muscle car it would be an AMG benz.

But, there are times for raw sounds, raw performance and raw noise. It's been at least a couple decades if not three since manufacturers produced such cars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet car and fascinating story. I can't imagine buying something like that and hardly driving it to save on license fees.

I saw a Z51 the other day and man, what a smokin' car! I'd love to get one.

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No doubt today's cars have much nicer interiors and most are light years ahead of the old muscle cars as far as suspension goes, but they're still wannabees.

Nothing like the old vintage muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my boss has the benz CLK63 AMG Black Series. it is truly impressive and sounds like unreal. it pushes you back in your seat like a rocket.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by grovey
I don't imagine the new ones will ever smell like a chevelle either.

Yes they will. The new Chevy's will burn just as much oil as the old ones. grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An old neighbor has a '67 Vette convertible with the L71 Tri-power 427. It was nice when I was a kid, but it has since been restored and is super clean now.

All I can do is slobber. grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
my boss has the benz CLK63 AMG Black Series. it is truly impressive and sounds like unreal. it pushes you back in your seat like a rocket.

I'd love to get an E63 4matic wagon.

[Linked Image]

Perfect sleeper, 550 hp grocery getter. And I don't know how MBZ does it, but the wagons ride just like the sedan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
my dad has an '06 corvette 6 speed convertible. The LS engine in that thing is freaking amazing its got the grunt of a diesel down low. The car sticks like glue and has tons of power. For me the problem is the car has NO SOLE. The interior is so plain jane its sad. I had an '07 mustang GT It was a great car that DID have sole the way the dash was it was like the late 60's all over again looking out over that thing. The only problem was it didn't have that amazing LS engine in it. IMO while fast the car was a little underpowered especially combined with the altitude I live at.

that 67 vette is the most beautiful car produced. I am not a fan of the white and I really don't like red interior on anything. I prefer black interior on those cars.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I really like the resto mod corvettes, old bodies on a new chassis with all all the modern stuff under the hood, modern suspension and brakes. They look old, but drive and handle like a new one, dang wish I could afford one.

http://www.buyavette.net/1965%20Cor...tible%20For%20Sale%20Stock%201200CJS.php

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I really like the resto mod corvettes, old bodies on a new chassis with all all the modern stuff under the hood, modern suspension and brakes. They look old, but drive and handle like a new one, dang wish I could afford one.

Only $139K!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NeBassman

that is an amazing car!!! 2 things I would change the wheels don't work for the car. I would have custom wheels made that look like the originals but are taller and wider. put the original steering wheel back on the car. again not a fan of red interior, black interior black stinger.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
like i said, i like the old ones. but the new ones are a much better car. faster, better handling, and more reliable and just as sexy looking if not more so than the old ones.

and ya tzone, you can cruise by the nursing home and impress the geriatric chicks whilst i'm down at the beach with a 20-something hottie cruising in my Z51. wink
You probably haven't been to a good car show, with old muscle cars and hot rods. Babes aplenty. No ones debating the performance of the new cars compared to the old, but the older ones have character and personality. And you can actually work on them. as far as handling, many suspension and brake upgrades are available if you don't care about matching numbers, etc. And the old cars don't look like a Japanese cartoon, like the new Camaro, for instance.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I bought everything I own by the standard of how many "babes" I would impress, I doubt I would own anything I own...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by grovey
I don't imagine the new ones will ever smell like a chevelle either.

Yes they will. The new Chevy's will burn just as much oil as the old ones. grin

Surprised you posted in this thread Ford boy. Move along... nothing for you to see here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My buddies father was a collector of sorts with regard to 'vettes. He still had 5 of them when he passed of colon cancer...all of them red. Since my buddy was an only child he got em all. He wrapped the '78 around a tree, the '92 got loose on him and found a ditch. He sold the '63 split window (a$$hole)and the '76. He kept the '68 Stingray with the 427 and that thing went like a raped ape. Just sitting in that thing at idle sent chills up your spine. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I had dibs. He dumped it for $22K without so much as a phone call (double a$$hole). Not only did he piss on his father's legacy (triple a$$hole), but that car was one of a kind.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.