Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Seasons44
I don't condemn any shooters style, finger on or under the trigger guard, thumbs crosses or straight, I look at how an individual grips a handgun the same as one would swing a golf club we all have subtle tweaks, right or wrong, you need to find what works the best for you , for me( and I have tried both) finger under the trigger guard, I find it more consistent.

Now can we start talking about the proper position of thumbs and this thread will go 10 pages! laugh

Everyone knows that it's thumbs straight on a semi and crossed on a revolver grin

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Gents, a point to ponder

Accurate handgun shooting is relatively easy when you can see the sights. Night shooting is a whole nuther animal. I'll get to my point in a minute.

I've made some discoveries over the years and these discoveries came from experimentation, not reading internet bulletin boards. Now, about the time that photo of Ross was taken, he'd beaten the world in the IPSC game with a 1911 similar to the one you see, a pretty capable and useful tool. This photo shows a compensated barrel, but if I recall, when he beat the world, he was shooting an uncompensated weapon, against a passel of shootists who had discovered the game-gun craze with slide-sized compensators and weights and other gizmos that helped to reduce recoil. I had a well-known custom smigh build me one just like it. I still have it.

Ross was a strapping lad with big hands and perfect form, and his gun just didn't seem to recoil much. He beat the world, but the world didn't seem to take much notice. It was "game-on," and the gamesmen ruled from that time on.

Getting back to the finger forward grip.

This may not work for everyone. In fact, I do it sometimes and at other times, I don't. I've discovered, at least for me, that another point of reference on the gun's frame helps me to determine the precise attitude of the weapon's slide as far as elevation and windage, when I can't see the sights, I.E. in the darker environments with shorter slides.

We aren't always carrying 5" 1911s. Many of us carry little bitty guns with abbreviated slides and correspondingly itty bitty barrels. We don't have that gun with the physical properties that tell us by weight and balance, exactly where that barrel is pointing while walking down the dark hall at 2a.m..

With the finger forward, you have another point of triangulation. You physically know, based on three points of reference, that you are on, both in elevation and windage. I tried to explain this to an FBI pistol instructor and he kindly told me I was full of crap, just before I used this technique to beat everyone on the line in a night shoot, with a gun that didn't have night sights, against 80% of fellow shooters who had night sights on their guns.

I'm saying, try it before you knock it, and if you knock it, have the courtesy to offer a "reality based" reason why, which suggests you know what you're writing about, rather than just exercising two of your fingers on the keyboard.

Yes, the fastest shooters in the world today, don't use it. But then, they have guns that don't resemble actual firearms, shooting loads that are more akin to mild 9mms, vs something that actually recoils, not that it offers any advantage in the recoil control department.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 03/23/14.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
If that's the way you shoot, and you hit what your shooting, don't fix what ain't broke.

If I can manage to get from Point A to Point B in my car without dying, does that mean I shouldn't bother learning to be a better driver?

If your kid hits most of the balls that come across the plate, does that mean he can't learn anything from the coach about how to be a better hitter?

My point is that if you want to get a lot better at something, sooner or later you've gotta step out of your comfort zone and try something new. That doesn't mean you should try everything newfangled gimmick that comes along, but there are some techniques that all of the top shooters consistently use. (One of those techniques is putting your left pointer finger under the trigger guard, instead of wrapped around it.)

I used to fancy myself quite the pistolero. I used a hideous grip that nobody else used but I "got my hits" and shot better than some people I knew, so I figured that I had things worked out. Then a friend forced me to change my grip, drastically. It was uncomfortable at first and for a little while my shooting got worse, but I promised him I'd try it for at least a month. And low and behold, it worked. I became a better shooter and since then I've refined my grip a bit more and made some more beneficial changes.

Heck, I can "get hits" and get them pretty quickly holding the deadgum thing upside down and pulling the trigger with my pinky. That doesn't mean there's not a better way to do it though.

If you just want to be able to make the pistol go bang, you can do that any which way you please. But if you really want to shoot as fast and as accurately as you can, sooner or later you're gonna have to at least try something new. (I'd recommend starting with getting your finger off the front of that trigger guard.)

Blue makes some excellent points.
My opinion falls somewhere in between " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "give a different technique a fair shot to see if you can improve."

Personally I do not put my finger on the front of the TG. That being said, a close friend who is an A class shooter, and would likely be a master if he was in the states and had more time to shoot, shoots with his finger on the front of the TG. He is also left handed and right eye dominant. He has managed to become one heck of a good shooter in spite of this.

On a personal level, I consider myself a life long learner. If someone I know who is at the top of the game makes a suggestion to me, I usually give it due consideration and try it for a bit. If it works, fine, if not, I revert back to what I know.

When we start thinking we know all about any subject, we become stagnant.

As an example, in my work, I deal a lot with medical reports and speak to a lot of doctors. I keep a PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) on my desk, and have a couple of links on my work computer's desktop that link me to med definitions. When I come across a word I do not recognize, or a drug I am not familiar with, I look it up.

The result is that I have a better grasp of the subject and when talking to coworkers and docs, they think I am a lot smarter than I really am! smile

Long story shortened: Be willing to get outside your comfort zone if you want to advance your performance.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree with Mackay. Ross won a world championship and Weaver was no slouch either.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have also been a long time shooter of single action revolvers and had previously used my right hand thumb to cock the hammer. Found out that if you use the opposite hand to work the hammer back you can keep your shooting hand consistent on the grip, less effort and time wasted in having to reacquire the hold.

So it does show that an old hand like myself is always learning something new.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
[/quote]Everyone knows that it's thumbs straight on a semi and crossed on a revolver grin [/quote]

Oh no here we go, wink

I may be the odd duck but I shoot both my revolver and semi with thumbs crossed, mainly due to muscle memory so there is no thinking when I pick up said handgun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For those that assume I have the intolerant old fart syndrome, I don't hold revolvers or semi-autos the same way I did perhaps ten years ago. Through tens of thousands of rounds per year, working up some speed and trying to do things efficiently, my hold and my shooting has evolved. A few years ago I started shooting automatics, mostly 1911's, with the thumbs-forward hold and it works well. You can't do that if you want to shoot a DA with serious recoil or an SA and run it fast. When I shoot a revolver, double action or single, I place my weak index finger on the front of the triggerguard and my weak thumb on the left side of the recoil shield. This offers a little more stability, stability that you can see in your sights, and places the thumb in a good position to manipulate the hammer.

[Linked Image]

The pics of Weaver and Seyfried were for those who make stupid sweeping statements out of ignorance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many millions of golfers have used the grip invented by Harry Vardon, before WWI. But in the late '50's a big young blond guy decided it didn't work for him, and tried the interlocking grip. His name was Nicklaus, and it worked for him smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian Enos
[Linked Image]

Daniel Horner
[Linked Image]

Todd Jarrett
[Linked Image]

Jerry Miculek
[Linked Image]

Dave Sevigny
[Linked Image]

And Rob Leatham, the winningest shooter in the world.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thumbs forward on an auto. Lock the weak side wrist and good things happen.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also endorsed by Bluedreaux.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Best GD pilot in the sky.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hickok45 on youtube does pretty well with his style.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

The "Boss Hog" picture should have been put in there between Jarrett and Miculek.

I'll forgive this time.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Newsflash smart guy, the Weaver and Seyfried pics were in response to this stupid post:

Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Never was right, don't know where it came from.

So let us not take it out of context. Unless you want to claim superiority over either of those world class shooters, throttle back on your fervor.

Nobody's trying to change how you hold your pistol at your 3-gun matches. Or really cares. Like I also said, there is NO universal hold for ALL handgun shooting. Again, those guys are all shooting semi-autos (repeat, I hold mine the same way) but that is not necessarily the proper hold for revolver shooting or with heavy recoiling handguns. I'm sorry if I do not consider what competition shooters do to be the be-all, end-all of handgun shooters. Furthermore, those aren't the only handgun shooting sports either. Shall we all drop into the Creedmoor position because that's how they do it in silhouette competition? Probably not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigC
Newsflash smart guy,.....you want......throttle.

how you hold your pistol..... is.....the proper......be-all, end-all of handgun.....position

Maverick approves this message.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What about this

[Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Change grips?
When I was taught, only a girl needed to use Two hands!
A man stood tall and shot with one hand!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I think this is a great explanation about thumb position

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/03/15/video-sheriff-tip-the-thumbs-have-it/

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I think Travis does a nice job explaining it. Since I swapped to the hard 45 degree before the hands even meet I have a better grip that does not move. I shot a heavy 9mm (5906) for a long time and could be pretty sloppy with my grip. Going to a polymer .40 made me adapt to a better way of doing it to keep the control I liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6gwhj5qpY

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,621
Posts18,492,714
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.