Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
In looking at the old scopes in consideration of using one for a Stith mount, how can I know in advance of purchase which are nitrogen filled, and which are not? I have seen the Lyman Alaskan mentioned, but never any others. How about the old Weaver scopes? Is there a cut-off period where they began to fill scopes with nitrogen?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
None of the old scopes are N purged that I know of. All just have dry ElPaso air.

Brian

1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
At what date do you consider them "old" scopes? I also saw a weaver that was a variable, with out a flared out area on the end, so it looks like it would work on a Stith. Is this possible? This is all new to me so your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think any scope you can screw the back eye piece off is nitrogen filled. Having once lived 45-miles north of El Paso in Las Cruces, NM, I can attest to the heat qualities of west Texas air. I've seen old Lyman and Leupold 3xs put up in Stith mounts, but suspect they were sent to somebody for having the rear ring installed. I've stuck with Weaver K 2.5s or 3s for my Stith mounts. Again, just filled with good old fashioned hot air!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 1899guy
At what date do you consider them "old" scopes? I also saw a weaver that was a variable, with out a flared out area on the end, so it looks like it would work on a Stith. Is this possible? This is all new to me so your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

No, the variables aren't going to work with the Stith because you have to remove the ocular bell to install it in the rear ring. They are too short as well.

The best match to the Stith if you don't insist on being period correct is a newer 60 series K2.5 or K3 that has the constantly centered reticle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen old Lyman and Leupold 3xs put up in Stith mounts, but suspect they were sent to somebody for having the rear ring installed.

I've used both the old Lyman All American 3X and the Leupold M7 (but NOT M8) 3X scopes in 1" Stiths, and they work great. The M8 scopes are nitrogen sealed and the rear bell will not screw off to allow for insertion into the rear Stith ring.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just for those that don't know, there are some rear stiths that have a full split ring and you can use then without unscrewing the ocular bell... they are VERY uncommon.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the guy that used to run the Weaver Scope Repair Service anything 60B series and newer were purged. Frank used to work on the repair side of Weavers Customer Service section and when they went under he bought out their stock of repair parts and went into business for himself. He's since sold out to Iron Sights several years ago. Before he sold out he refurbished close to a dozen Weavers for me.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Drew, does this mean that if you have one of these "rear split ring" models, that a nitrogen filled scope can be used?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you can use just about any scope with the split ring Stith (as long as the front bell of the scope fits the front Stith tube).

BUT, good luck finding a split ring mount.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a way that you can get your Leupold M7 3x nit filled without having the rear split rings on the stith. Though it takes some working with the good folks at Leupold. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.