Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8715392 03/25/14
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Between you, Sharpsguy, Gunner, Woody and now Ed, I didn't have a chance.

The auction ended today, and hopefully I'll have it in my hands soon.

I was shocked to see a Montana Roughrider chambered for 45-70, and with a 30 inch barrel, show up on Gunbroker. I was torn between this and an 1874 Military Rifle. This one showed up first and the price was reasonable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a beauty Joel!
Hope you bring it to the hog hunt so I can touch it!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's just a quick chamber punch away from some real horsepower.

You know you want to do it� wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks Dan. If I live, it'll make it to the Hunt in 2015. You are more than willing to shoot hell out of it.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4ager

Oh Lord.
It is not enough that Jim and Bill have nudged me closer to bankruptcy? Must you see my retinas detach? LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Another one bites the dust! laugh VERY NICE Joel you're gonna love it!! cool

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by 4ager

Oh Lord.
It is not enough that Jim and Bill have nudged me closer to bankruptcy? Must you see my retinas detach? LOL

The .45-90 and .45-110 are not heavy recoilers at all; just big pushes. Your retinas will be quite fine.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I know it, but have to have something to bitch and whine about. wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it, but have to have something to bitch and whine about. wink

Quit bitching, get a 'smith lined up to punch that chamber to -90 or -110, and order a 1/4 pallet of powder.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
As an old friend of mine used to say quite often, "Therein, lies the problem". If I lived where I could drive by and pick up a sheetpot of KiK powder, I'd be leaning harder in that direction.

wink

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 03/25/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gone through almost #20 of KIK since I got my gun Jim always said "ya load 110's with a coal shovel." That's a fact at 95+100grs a pop!

Woody
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Prezactly! Thank God, Sharpsguy was the voice of reason saying that the standard 45/70 would do anything that needed doing.

Basically, I will be shooting Whitetails, maybe black bear if all goes well and pigs with this rifle. Surely the 45/70 will handle it.

If I were running up against real buffler or African game, I'd look harder at the -90 or -110.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I already have a teenager I can barely afford to feed. Don't need a rifle that makes matters worse. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 45/70 will serve you well and gunner has a way of making it the little engine that could! grin

Woody
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Now I'll be looking to pick up a couple lyman molds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

VELCOMM to der Darkside grin Powder Inc will ship a case right to yer door so not to worry about availability grin NOW the Buffler Gun Mafia will work on you to get ya using paper patched slugs grin Gorgeous rifle Joel!!!! Yer going to love it!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAAHAHAHA!!!!! I knew you was screwed. LMAO, a Big Congrats from Okleehoma Joel. laugh laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
The 45/70 will serve you well and gunner has a way of making it the little engine that could! grin

Yes it will, and yes I can. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ya, and now he's gotta sign on to the buffler hunt this fall. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice rifle smile

Between all of us, next March, the guides will hear a number of deep throated BOOMS and wonder what the heck is going on up that hill smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You may as well saddle up and ride on out with us Tex. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding, Joel! grin Good looking rifle! Now you need the following molds to begin; a Lyman 457125 (the Government bullet) and at least the 457121, the 475gr Parker Hale bullet. Maybe a 457193, the 405gr RNFP that was loaded in the Cavalry loads. Oh, you can be sure that Jim will start in on you to start paper patching, too. grin

P.S. don't let them know you EVER shoot a smokeless powder load in your rifle. Jim WILL hunt you down. eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
.........then Sharpsguy will show up with a twelve pack of Handmade Damascus fillet knives. eek shocked grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

what sort of adventure do you miscreants have planned? I oughta have my Sharps late this spring or early summer. I was gonna smoke a deer with it, but now you have me intrigued... smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now I'll be looking to pick up a couple lyman molds.

No if you want that thing to shoot you'll be getting a saeco 645 if you plan on shooting grease groove bullets. Remington cases.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now you've done it. One can tweak loads, bullets, and technique until the end of time. No one ever really masters those things.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Outstanding, Joel! grin Good looking rifle! Now you need the following molds to begin; a Lyman 457125 (the Government bullet) and at least the 457121, the 475gr Parker Hale bullet. Maybe a 457193, the 405gr RNFP that was loaded in the Cavalry loads. Oh, you can be sure that Jim will start in on you to start paper patching, too. grin

P.S. don't let them know you EVER shoot a smokeless powder load in your rifle. The Sharps Buffler Gun Mafia WILL hunt you down,put you nekkid into a small very cold room wid only Nancy Pelosi to keep you warm eek

Ed

grinTHAT'S more like it grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 03/26/14.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ET hit it. Powder Inc, FFg Kik to your door $347.50 delivered /25#. Only other options as I see it is Olde Einsford at about $500 /25. The others are 3rd choice powders, no need to lengthen your learning curve using them unless somebody dumps them on you for $5 a can. Sharpsguy, gave you good advice leave it alone as a 2.1 especially so with that buttstock and drop combo. Longer brass is 2 to 3 x the cost and has spotty availability right now. Shoot and use as is instead of just talking the talk. Magnum Man

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

what sort of adventure do you miscreants have planned? I oughta have my Sharps late this spring or early summer. I was gonna smoke a deer with it, but now you have me intrigued... smile

Thats good news Tex, by saddling up I meant get 'you' a Sharps, but it seems like your already ahead of the game, I didnt know you had one on order.smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We just recently had a really good discussion about this "Chamber Stretching" bit, and how many perfectly good .45-70s have been SCREWED up, in that process.

The .38-55s hogged out to .38-50 were a similar parade of bodged work.

Leave that chamber alone.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That rifle will flat out work as is. Leave the damned chamber alone and call me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinC'mon Bill. Give us some time to torment Joel in our finest tradition!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
That rifle will flat out work as is. Leave the damned chamber alone and call me.

A big "Amen" to that!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is also a .50-90 on GB, if CT decides a .45-70 isn't big enough for him grin

My #1 Sporter went into production last week, so hopefully I should have it in a few weeks. .45-90, 30" std octagon, and extra-fancy wood just cuz I'm a wood slut smirk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As an old friend of mine used to say quite often, "Therein, lies the problem". If I lived where I could drive by and pick up a sheetpot of KiK powder, I'd be leaning harder in that direction.

wink

Just go here thru the internet, save the wear and tear on your vehicle.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
wink
Just go here thru the internet, save the wear and tear on your vehicle.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

Or, he could just make a slight detour on his way out here and pick up a load. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's true, then he could pick up a 25 lb bag or 2 of powder and it'ld be cheaper yet,, altho when you pickup from Jerry you pay Arkansas sales tax, so there goes any savings on shipping...

www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Last time through I picked up 10# and even with sales tax it was cheaper than shipping it. grin

Gotta go back up in that part of the world in a month or so on bidness. Might have to stop in again. laugh

Ed

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There is also a .50-90 on GB, if CT decides a .45-70 isn't big enough for him grin

My #1 Sporter went into production last week, so hopefully I should have it in a few weeks. .45-90, 30" std octagon, and extra-fancy wood just cuz I'm a wood slut smirk
That sounds nice Patrick!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks - it's been on order 18 months, so I am looking forward to it...

smile maybe I can choot the first Nilgai ever shot with a Sharps?

grin

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 03/26/14. Reason: fixt it

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

Finally got her in my hot little hands.

Many thanks to the enablers who got me hooked!!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That will make a good hunting rifle...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I gotta get some cartridges loaded....This weather will have the groundhogs out and about in a few days. I doubt a 500 grain Govt. cast bullet will bounce off...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a proper rifle. That'll work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
between my brother and i one of my favorite rifles for ground squirrels is my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.....first shot at one i had 405 hard casts loaded and held on dirt....the bullet went through 6 inches or so of fluffed up dirt on the near side, couple inches of gopher, another 6 inches of fluffed up dirt on the far side, put a 5 foot divot in the ground, hit a chunk of sandstone and cracked it but finally stopped it.....we had been shooting the critters for high talley and upon seeing the damage promptly declared me a cheater and he will get to shoot it for the rest of the trip and i was stuck with the 10-22 laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The 45-70 on ground squirrels is roughly equivalent to the Paris Gun of WWI. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Joel that's a beauty and welcome to the club! cool

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Woody and Patrick,

Thanks a bunch. I have pawed the poor thing to death today. Really looking forward to giving it a test drive.

Apologies for the poor photo, it was the best I could do with my phone today.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Very nice buddy smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinBWAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!! grin yer one of US now!!. You are now entitled to be and do evil things to NON Sharps people until the see the Dark grin grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks really nice, congrats and . . . welcome to the dark side ! ! ! When ya gonna get to take her out for a test drive?

One more question though . . . What's that funny lookin thang what's hangin down between the buttplate and the triggers grin ?

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh your poor, wretched and soon to be tormented soul! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Oh your poor, wretched and soon to be tormented soul! smile

Oh yeah jorge wink .....and BTW Joel not many plausible excuses for shooting smokeless or you'll get the evil eye from his "Evilness" ! eek grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice Joel!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seems to me 45/70 screams smokeless! Why dirty and foul it with nasty black powder! I'm sure you'll get better accuracy and velocity with smokeless Joel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Seems to me 45/70 screams smokeless!

Negatory.. Maybe out of a Guide gun but not a Sharps or the ODG {Old dead guys}will haunt him for sure! grin

Woody
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
smile The day smokeless powder will shoot as well as the black powder load did in this .44-90 bn using barrel sights at 135 yards. 4 shots in the top group 6 shots in the center

[Linked Image]

In this .44-100 Rem st I used a scope for load developement
@ 135 yds.

[Linked Image]

Or this .44-90BN with the scope mounted on it @ 200 yds target from left to right has 10 shots, 18 shots and 10 shots

[Linked Image]

I might consider using smokeless, but only if I cant get black powder anymore grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
dvdgeo, only a dick shoots smokeless in a Shiloh Sharps 45-70, yeah you heard that from me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A hearty CONGRATS CT, you'll be rubbing the blue offa the barrel flats in no time from all the heavy fondling, I know, I did. blush LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Seems to me 45/70 screams smokeless! Why dirty and foul it with nasty black powder! I'm sure you'll get better accuracy and velocity with smokeless Joel

If you owned a Sharps and did that, the Buffler Gun hit squad would abduct you, and you would be put into a very small,very cold room nekkid with only Nancy Peolosi to keep you warm grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Awww you guys are so easy to rile up whistle ...I know the rules ET's been very emphatic about "NO SMOKELESS IN A SHARPS"

I get it! cool

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThe absolute ONLY dispensation is IF it is absolutely necessary to shoot up ONE box of factory ammo to get the cases for BP loading!! grin THEN eventually ya get one of these for sleeping and seduction purposes grin
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not even one box. Pull the bullets and dump the powder to get the cases, OR shoot them out of another rifle. Out of a Shiloh Sharps, never.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BullShooter on Hog Hunt Thread -02/28/14
Here's one from last year of ET, Gunner & sharpsguy. It's sort of fuzzy and blurry 'cause it was the morning after.

Note to newbies: Stay away from these individuals. When they start talking about "Shiloh", it ain't about April 1862. It's about making your Credit Card start to whimper and curl up in a fetal position.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

Joel-
I tried to warn you. I even posted a photo - (with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back.) But would you listen?? NOOOOOOOO! You hang around with those miscreants and it's going to cost you!

Nobody warned me about them in 2013. I got my rifle just a week before snow shut down the local range, so I've only put 15 shots through it. There are still 3-1/2 feet of snow in the range driveway, and if I did snowshoe in, the snow is still covering the benches. The photo below is from a muzzleloader match from last Saturday at another local range.

Have fun in the sun!
--Bob
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Dangit! I know....

Just had to be an individual.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
You called it, for sure.

By the way, you ended up with a gorgeous Sharps yourself.

When I get done knocking the wild onions down in my yard, I'm going to spend some time rubbing my rifle down....

Muhahaha

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Joel, have you started casting for it yet? grin

Ed

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
No I haven't. Kicking around trying some of Jerry Dean's 480 grain FP's to see how they run.

I have to make a powder order and get a few items put together like a drop tube and a compression die as well.

Now that I have the stuff that required the FFL, I can piecemeal in the other stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.