Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a good spray on product to make my canoe non slip. Sound deadening would be a plus as well.

Any good products out there?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Plastidip

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Moses
Plastidip

I was wondering about that stuff. Any idea if it stands up to bleach? I use a bit of bleach and water to clean out the canoe after fishing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of canoe ... aluminium or ???

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish head
What kind of canoe ... aluminium or ???

Sorry. Yes, aluminum Gruman.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P/U bedliner (rolled on) is very good non slip surface BUT it adds weight.

A textured paint (again rolled on) would be less slippery than bare aluminum without without adding as much weight.

Another option, maybe, is some thin elcheapo auto carpeting type fabric that could be be removed and washed.

You could fabricate wooden floor boards, maybe, depending on the shape of the bottom.

???

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input.

They obviously make marine products for this, but they tend to be expensive and roll on. I was hoping for spray. But if the better product is roll on, so be it.

This is a fun little project I'm doing and trying to see how cheaply I can do it without sacrificing too much. The non slip surface isn't an absolute requirement so don't want to spend $100 on a gallon. But I will if that's the cheap end of quality.

In a nutshell, I inherited a 20ft Gruman aluminum canoe. Two seats. Wide flat bottom. Barely used but old.

I plan to turn it into a fairly stabile four seater fishing canoe. For use in smallish lakes where I live.

Trolling motor, outrigger stabilizers, comfy seats, and maybe a fishfinder.

Figured I paint it too and the non slip idea just seemed easy and cheap enough not to leave out. If all goes well, I'll be standing quite a bit in her while fishin.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wear your PFD

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Wear your PFD

I know. Canoes ain't made for standing. But with good outrigger stabilizers, you might be surprised. Done quite a bit of fishing with my buddy in his. Both of us standing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you apply anything to bare aluminium and you want it to last use a vinyl etching wash primer as a base coat. A little goes a long ways and quart is enough with the reducer.

I painted the interior of my aluminium boat with epoxy and the first time I sprayed it. The second time I painted it, years later, I rolled and brushed it and it turned out fine. Just use a fine nap roller.

IC B3

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you. Hadn't thought of that

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Wear your PFD

I know. Canoes ain't made for standing. But with good outrigger stabilizers, you might be surprised. Done quite a bit of fishing with my buddy in his. Both of us standing.

Stood in them for years w/o outriggers.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wear that PFD all the time.
They don't ring a bell just before you need it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hesitate to mention it as I don't know if it will work. How about spray undercoat? Stuff I used long ago seemed durable enough and had some texture. If not, spray, fine sand, spray over.

Again, don't know how well it would hold up.

For an el cheapo etch I've successfully used Naval Jelly as it contains phosphoric acid. Undercoat is more like glue so I don't think etching would be necessary. But couldn't hurt.

For PFD I've gone to the suspender type when fishing alone and I almost forget they are there. You know, out in the middle of a lake even on a nice day, manage to fall overboard and the boat drifts away faster than you can catch it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you, I am interested in the no slip floors too.

I hate to harp on the PFD"s till I wear out my welcome.
As you said boats can get away quickly.

My father drowned in 1984, with his vest hanging on the seat back.

My older brother died in an auto accident at the age of 23.

I wear my shoulder harness driving, and my vest boating.

I asked Brother Keith, a retired Ontario Provincial Policeman, how many drowning victims he recovered that were wearing a vest.
He said, none.

End of rant, thank you for listening.

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't plan on going without the PFD. I took your first post on it to mean you didn't think fishing from a canoe set up like this was possible or reasonable.

I'm a good swimmer. And good swimmers drown too. So I'm not about to end up a statistic. Your rant is well received.

I'm gonna explore all the options I can for the non slip. When it comes down to it, it could be considered a quasi safety device. So any techniques I try that aren't meant for this application will be tested on something else first. I wasn't initially thinking it was even necessary to do. Now I'm thinking it is.

I'll post back when I make a decision and hopefully post pics and results

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you.

I am also a believer in having a throwable device handy. A life ring, or anything such a 2,1/2 gallon jug with rope tied on.

The old "A bad day of fishing/hunting, is better than a good day at work", presumes you return home alive, and well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Consider removable seats for the inner two... Making them fixed could limit utility down the road a ways, while adding unwanted weight. Stadium type, folding seats on styrofoam blocks are cheap, quiet, light, work reasonably well, and can be removed easily...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Consider removable seats for the inner two... Making them fixed could limit utility down the road a ways, while adding unwanted weight. Stadium type, folding seats on styrofoam blocks are cheap, quiet, light, work reasonably well, and can be removed easily...

That's actually the plan. It currently doesn't have center seats, so I'm starting from scratch there. Just the two kids using them, so removable was top of the list

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reading this thread rings back memories of trips to Canada. We fished big northern pike on the surface after ice out - good clean fun! However, on the first portage on the way out from the first trip, imagine getting under/inside a canoe that has had significant fish slime traffic - it stunk! After that we used pine sol to make the canoes tolerable on portages. I had good experience using a self-etching aluminum primer to paint my canoe. I sprayed it down once, then sprinkled fine sand on it, and hit it with another coat. The primer had a straw color that was close to duck boat paint, but adhered much better - 10 yrs so far.

Thinking about it - hope you have the 20 ft self-portaging model!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,527
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.