Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
fourbore I Like the Anschutz .17hmr, what does it typically cost to have an FFL receive it?

That is generally $25 bucks. You may need to find an FFL who works out of his home on weekends. Many of the big dealers, not so eager because they feel it cuts into their business. The big guys can order anything you want for a price and dont appreciate the competition from either the web or the little guy FFL holder. The small guy might also be able order, at least Rugers and Remingtons, etc.. and his markup maybe only 50 bucks for the effort.

Interesting about the 64 vs 54. I had no idea. Sounds very similar to the 452/453 vs 455 story. It seems everything keep getting cheaper & shortcut?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My CZ453 Americal with a Bushnell 4-12X40 AO scope does very well. I picked it up used like new for $550 delivered to my door, no taxes. The trigger on the 453 is arguably quite a bit nicer than the 452. No Yo-Dave kit needed on the 453. No creep, no backlash, just crisp and clean.

Mine is not fancy in the wood department, but it is a tool, not a showpiece. Pretty is as pretty does. wink

[Linked Image]

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you are going 455 and have a $1000 budget, I would get a Lilja barrel. I would buy the CZ in the second caliber I wanted and go 22 LR HB match grade on the Lilja.

RH, No disrespect intend, just not sure how to ask this: Is the above quote an established practice or supposition. I dont know about Centershot, but I am seriously looking at 452/453/455. Not finding much in discontinued 452/453. There is a whole slew of 455 combos in 22lr, 17HMR for ~$520 bucks. That is roughly (correction) $100 for extra 17 barrel. What I dont see are CZ barrels sold separate. No 22WMR barrels. I suspect the barrels are fitted, like the old H&R shotguns. Is it 'guaranteed' 455 barrels will interchange? I dont read that on the CZ website. Or maybe you mean, ship the gun out for fitting? I new into the CZ situation. Looks like I am couple years too late.

Shootist, Yours looks fine, but; I am not finding any 453 in 22 WMR new or used. And some occasional CZ are lemons, so used is a bit of risk.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i have a few CZ Varmints, and CZ Americans, in the same calibers....in my rifles there is no appreciable difference in accuracy by choosing the sporter-weight americans, or varmint weight barrels. The varmint rides the bags better, the Americans balance better to me as a walking & stalking rifle.

i'd also say the assorted 15-series anschutz rifles i've owned are maybe a tad more accurate overall than the CZ's, but in general, not appreciably enough so to make a difference in a hunting rifle. i'd let ergonomics be your guide, handle both & wee what you like.

i've had 11 CZ's, no lemons yet. only had 5 Annie's, they all shot well too. sure havent heard many Annie shooters saying they felt they got a turd....

============================================================

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anschutz M54 action-based sporters, or Winchester M52's. I used to have several CZ 452's and 453's. Once I bought an Anschutz M54 Sporter I sold most of the CZ's. The Anschutz 64 action-based sporters are, to my mind, little better than the CZ's (and the CZ's are very good for the money; probably the best buy under $1000) but the M54 actioned rifles are a whole other animal.

Also keep a look out for Winchester 52's. I recently picked up two of them, an A standard barrel and a C heavy barrel and both are fantastically smooth to operate and quite accurate.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Anschutz

^ This.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 64's are moderately priced. BTW, I've found the rear "pillar" to be poorly fitted. I've done the heave ho on more than a couple and bedded the action and 2" or so in front, FF the rest. Much goodness there.

I want a 1700.... cry

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by centershot
I know $1000 is not what it used to be, but still a pretty big chunk of $ for me and should be plenty for a very nice .22. For me it would have to have a nice piece of wood and be an excellent shooter 1/2" or better at 50 yards. For $1K it should not require a trigger job or gunsmith tinkering to get it to shoot. I'm not sure what the options even are any more but guns like the Anschutz 1416, Sako Finnfire II, Old Kimber, Rem 547 come to mind. Cooper would be awesome but that would double the price tag. So, what is your pick?

I'd pay good money for a 40x with a magnum barrel contour in a sporter stock. And it would use 10/22 magazines.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CZ ,especially 453 American with single set trigger ,super shooters and good trigger to boot !

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted around until I finally found a Browning 52 a little over a year ago. It's hands down the most accurate .22 I've ever shot, and I've got a number of them. The match chamber is probably a big reason, along with the free-floated barrel. I also took the little "lawyer pin" out and adjusted the trigger pull to 2.5 lbs. It's the best trigger I've ever tried. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that when I'm hunting, I have a tendency to accidentally push in the magazine release button on the side as I'm carrying the rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a 10-shot group shot at 50 yards using Fiocchi Exacta Super Match 40 gr at 1050 fps. Eley Tenex shot about the same but was considerably more expensive.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by fourbore
If you are going 455 and have a $1000 budget, I would get a Lilja barrel. I would buy the CZ in the second caliber I wanted and go 22 LR HB match grade on the Lilja.

RH, No disrespect intend, just not sure how to ask this: Is the above quote an established practice or supposition. I dont know about Centershot, but I am seriously looking at 452/453/455. Not finding much in discontinued 452/453. There is a whole slew of 455 combos in 22lr, 17HMR for ~$520 bucks. That is roughly (correction) $100 for extra 17 barrel. What I dont see are CZ barrels sold separate. No 22WMR barrels. I suspect the barrels are fitted, like the old H&R shotguns. Is it 'guaranteed' 455 barrels will interchange? I dont read that on the CZ website. Or maybe you mean, ship the gun out for fitting? I new into the CZ situation. Looks like I am couple years too late.

Shootist, Yours looks fine, but; I am not finding any 453 in 22 WMR new or used. And some occasional CZ are lemons, so used is a bit of risk.

Not a problem at all. The 455 may shoot to suit you but the guys at www.rimfirecentral.com in the CZ forum are reporting 50 yard groups in the .3's with the Lilja barrels. All have reported them as an improvement, which is not to say that most 455's won't shoot very well. I have not had personal experience with them but I warn you not to read all the threads on them in the CZ forum or you will want to get one. That forum would also be a good place to locate a 453 if that's what you want.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

If you get the match chamber Lilja, you will likely have to fire the round before it will extract. It's not a defect and common with match chambers but I wanted to let you know.

What I meant is that I would just get the CZ in a 22 mag or 17HMR and buy a barrel from Lilja in 22 LR for my match grade CZ choice. That way I would be under $1000 and have a Lilja barreled CZ that would likely shoot with a 54 action Annie and an extra CZ barrel for it in a second rimfire caliber.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
fire the round before it will extract

Same with my Anschutz,

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Win 52. Best there ever was or ever will be....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Win 52. Best there ever was or ever will be....

So why in the day did they take Mod 37 Remiongton barrels and thread and chamber them to their Mod 52s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
c-shot,

Been shopping myself...

Your $1k is probably enough to buy a used 54 if you shop hard and are quick. Not sure about the hunting style stock but if you are handy, there are some good deals that come along.

Gotta ask if a CZ can hang with a 54 in terms of barrel? Trigger? Lock-time? I'm just guessing, but I think the answers are, "No", "No", and "No." grin CZ is less expensive, but sounds like you are looking for more than a factory 45x.

I had a 453, liked it for the money, but didn't love it so it went away. You could put a new barrel on one but you've still got the trigger and lock-time limitations. Maybe a stock 453 is good-nough for what you want? Other than a stock swap and simple trigger work, it doesn't seem cost effective to doll-up a CZ. Seems more like a dead-end. But for a knock-around rifle the CZ could be fine.

I'm waiting on a 1407, converted to repeater, thanks to a tip from Boxer. Not a hunting style stock though. I'd rather just trick-out a 10/22 for hunting... mild-to-wild, whatever flavor you like.

Jason

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
RH- How do you like that 1416 KL? Any reason you went with it over the HB?

I have a very accurate 452 but I want to add an Anny to the mix so I can pass the CZ to my son.

Semper Fi

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks RH,

I found 22mag bbl kits available from Midway for $140. Sounds like a drop in after all. I would not want to routinely swap back and forth with a scope on the reliever, but it does make it pretty risk free to try one caliber and know if it not working out it could be easily changed out later.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...th-5-round-magazine?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Sorry about the hi-jack. If I had the budget, Anschutz in some flavor sounds tops, with an appropriate scope. I am a happy camper, retired with time to shoot and hunt - beats working like a slave, cash in pocket and no time to enjoy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Intellesting timing,as I had a HighZoot 10/22, a 452 American HB Hummer and an Annie 54 Repeater Conversion in the crummy yesterday.

The CZ puked. It's OEM mounting system is absolute [bleep] dog schit.

[Linked Image]

Now as to bang...for bucks.

Purty easy to build a Skookum 10/22 for modest funds and they fill a Utilitarian role nicely. A guy can do nice thangs with a $150-ish .920" 16" spout and a Hogue handle. They's tough on glass and mounts,so it's prudent to hedge a bet from the start,there. Lotsa ways to skin that cat,but if it don't wear recoil cross slots,she's gonna puke. Hint.

I like to massage my own triggers and am good for a dozen+ 10/22's in both Ruger and AMT guise. I prefer Ruger.

Now as the 54 goes,there ain't no equal. $1K will score a used 54 and I'd go no other way,simply because nothing will equal it's inherent Precision or fabulous trigger. My very very massaged 452's trigger,is absolute [bleep] dog schit,compared to my 54's. Hint.

Had the Anschutz doing things at the 300yd line yesterday,that simply cain't be did. The [bleep] things are just AMAZING and I sure as schit don't impress easily.

I'd not want a 64 Annie,as I'd wanna ring the bell with a 54 and cut to the [bleep] chase. Wouldn't bother me to snag an elder 54 Match or similar,bob the barrel with a hacksaw,crown with a deburring tool and pinpoint balance/handling,while MUCH increasing portability and the handy/dandy factor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Losing 6.5" of barrel length,cost 4.7 fps,with the same lot of ammo.

[Linked Image]

It still shoots into absolutely tiny knots at it's 50yd zero,despite flushing it's choke down the toilet.

Now the LAST [bleep] thing I'd want on ANY rifle,is to be swapping barrels and mags,[bleep] around to and fro. I'd much rather have (1) exceptionally sound platform that was static,gear it in accords and knock schit outta the Park.

With a 25MOA or better rail and a 10X Fixed [bleep] on a 54,the 600yd line is your's.

Hint.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Temporary cure is here. Will slum Talley vertical splits,until the DIP extended 25MOA 1913 rail arrives.

[bleep] CZ junk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Real steel is soothin',as is increased surface area clamptitude.

[Linked Image]

Even gotta Boyd's 'Lectric blue Tacticool laminate coming for the piece of schit...talk about polishing turds.

Be curious to see what breaks on today's Cast & Blast?!?(grin)

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by fourbore
Thanks RH,

I found 22mag bbl kits available from Midway for $140. Sounds like a drop in after all. I would not want to routinely swap back and forth with a scope on the reliever, but it does make it pretty risk free to try one caliber and know if it not working out it could be easily changed out later.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...th-5-round-magazine?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Sorry about the hi-jack. If I had the budget, Anschutz in some flavor sounds tops, with an appropriate scope. I am a happy camper, retired with time to shoot and hunt - beats working like a slave, cash in pocket and no time to enjoy.

That's a CZ barrel I believe and not the Lilja I was speaking of.
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.