Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recommend the Weaver 2.5-7X RF scope. I've got three of them and have been very happy with them.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by centershot
I have a 77/22 stainless boat paddle that I bought new - and it is this rifle that the new one has to 'outdo' or I will not be happy. I am starting to wonder if maybe the scope could be limiting the accuracy that I am getting or if honest 3/4" groups at 50 yards w/ high velocity ammo is about all any .22 rifle will do. I'm considering changing out the 2X7 Nikon Prostaff for a Leupold 2X7 Rimfire scope. I'm sure a 3X9 EFR would be better for target shooting, but this rifle spends most of it's time hunting and plinking - Thoughts on a quality scope?

Who in their right mind shoots HV ammo for accuracy? Lots of good rimfires will considerably beat 3/4 at 50 yards with good ammo. Ruger might not though, I have no idea.

For shooting targets magnification is your friend. I would go with a VX2 4-12X40 AO fine duplex at a min for magnification. A Weaver V16 works too, and on the high $ side a Leopold 6.5-20 EFR.

This is a "good" 5 shot 50 yard group with my 1416 when all the planets aligned.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/31/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot paper targets long enough to know what my rifle will do - then the targets become vermin.....hence why I do not want a big bulky scope with to many things to adjust prior to shooting. High Velocity hollow point ammo is used for hunting, as is the rifle. I really don't care what kind of group it will shoot with target ammo - that is not the purpose of this rifle....which brings me back to the thought that maybe my 77/22 actually shoots 'pretty good' already and even a nice rifle will not shoot much better with HV hollow points? Could make for a very expensive failed experiment. Maybe the question is what kind of accuracy is possible with High Velocity hunting ammo?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I shoot paper targets long enough to know what my rifle will do - then the targets become vermin.....hence why I do not want a big bulky scope with to many things to adjust prior to shooting. High Velocity hollow point ammo is used for hunting, as is the rifle. I really don't care what kind of group it will shoot with target ammo - that is not the purpose of this rifle....which brings me back to the thought that maybe my 77/22 actually shoots 'pretty good' already and even a nice rifle will not shoot much better with HV hollow points? Could make for a very expensive failed experiment. Maybe the question is what kind of accuracy is possible with High Velocity hunting ammo?

Try CCI Velocitors.

Your welcome!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
both my M77/22's shoot mini mag hollow points very very well, better than the solids. they shoot the velositors good too.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Don't know what you are trying to kill with a 22 but the SV stuff don't bounce off. If you think you have to use a hollow point.
http://www.championshooters.com/ind...virtuemart_category_id=48&Itemid=111
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/ammo/eley-subsonic-hp-22lr-ammunition.html

What do you mean "hence why I do not want a big bulky scope with to many things to adjust prior to shooting". What's to adjust? Set the AO to 50 yards and leave it alone. Most shots are fine on 4X and on a long shot, you have time to crank up the power if you want.

The VX2 4-12 is the least bulky for the power.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/31/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That scope looks and fits that rifle very nice. I am considering the 3X9 EFR version - should be plenty for a .22, but at $400 is it really worth 2X the $ over a 2X7 rimfire scope? The eley ammo is pretty spendy at $8.99 plus shipping per 50. I like the Hollow Points because in my experience they tend to kill quicker on critters like Rock Chucks and Jack Rabbits that are my main quarry. Although at this point I shoot whatever I can get - any .22 ammo has been very scarce around here for 2 years now.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 77/22 stainless boat paddle that I bought new - and it is this rifle that the new one has to 'outdo' or I will not be happy. I am starting to wonder if maybe the scope could be limiting the accuracy that I am getting or if honest 3/4" groups at 50 yards w/ high velocity ammo is about all any .22 rifle will do. I'm considering changing out the 2X7 Nikon Prostaff for a Leupold 2X7 Rimfire scope. I'm sure a 3X9 EFR would be better for target shooting, but this rifle spends most of it's time hunting and plinking - Thoughts on a quality scope?

That Leupold EFR is probably the most recommended RF scope here, and on RFC. 9X is not too much at all in the squirrel woods; lets you watch their little jaws working right up until you drop the hammer.
3/4 inch is my minimum standard for squirrels, considering that a lot of shots will be closer and figuring half of that or 3/8 is about what the rifle's POI error will be. If you can find them and don't mind paying more, the sub-sonic HPs from RWS, Ely, Lapua, etc. may give you all the accuracy you need in the field and still kill well. Some use regular match ammo, but since they don't expand, your shot placement has to be really good.
A good scope and better ammo may make your boat paddle Ruger into what you want.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i had a Sightron S2 6x HBR with fine cross hair & AO on my 77/22 early on when all i did mostly was shoot paper. however once i started to take it to the woods more i found it a tad too heavy for my needs and looked at the Leupold 3-9 EFR but thought it too was not what i wanted. i ended up going with a Leupold 2-7 rimfire scope and used the offset ruger ring up front to bring the short scope back as far as i could. while the weight and balance is right where i want it, that short scope is still about 1/2" too far forward than i would prefer. years ago it wouldn't matter but i have had 4 disc in my neck fused and my mobility thus is not what it use to be. if i try to long neck it to view through scopes for any period of time i end up with neck cramps and pain. anyway my next plan is to pull off the ruger recoil pad and have a SS cap made that is very thin to buy me an extra 3/8" or so. it isn't too bad for me now that it is warm out but once it is cold and i have a coat on then the eye releif is just a tad outside my comfort zone.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I went with something in between. I purchased a Nikon Prostaff Target 3x9x40 EFR. Looks like a pretty decent scope and should do what I'm looking for. The $135 price tag is a little more in line with my budget than $400 for a Leupold. Guess I'll find out in a week or two. If it doesn't work out on the 77/22 then I'll try it on my R-9.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Centershot....that is the exact scope I have on a Ruger 77/22 stainless and I really like it. I think that if you are getting 3/4" groups at 50yds with HV stuff you are probably doing about as good as your rifle is capable. SV should shrink your groups if that is what you are after....I do not shoot much HV anymore but when I did that was about as good as I ever got.....and I was happy with that out of my Ruger. Now I shoot mostly Aguilla target and it hovers around 3/8"-1/2".

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 04/01/14.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks PennDog - I'm starting to believe that 1/2"-3/4" accuracy at 50 yards is about all that is possible for HV ammo out of any rifle.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The best .22 L.R. killing ammo is CCI Quik Shok.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks PennDog - I'm starting to believe that 1/2"-3/4" accuracy at 50 yards is about all that is possible for HV ammo out of any rifle.

Not so fast! CCI velocitors.

Annie 54 sporter. .3 @ 75 yrds.

Rem 541 .5 @ 75 yrds

Win 52 sporter .5 @ 75 yrds

Cooper 57m .4 @ 75 yrds.

Not bad for a hot 40gr load.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Wouldn't mind a 77/22 myself, in stainless. Especially when spending all day in the rain.

Exactly! Rugers are good for crappy days. My Ruger 77/22 has cured me of many days of cabin fever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When the crisis is over, you'll probably be able to find some ammo that will do a little better, but 1/2 to 3/4 sounds plenty good enough for the critters you mentioned. You've got a nice rig; go shoot some stuff!

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've found that the best .22 rimfire ammo for killin is whatever I can make most reliably connect with critters' brain matter. Last couple of yrs it's been either CCI SV or Wolf MT.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1
The best .22 L.R. killing ammo is CCI Quik Shok.
They work well, almost too well at times. First time I used them I was quite surprised how big of holes they'd knock in a squirrel.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ain't afraid of any Yonkers 22. An SVT I picked up a few months ago along with my Hunter I bought new right after they stopped production. While both have different uses, they both shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards.

They both wear VX-II EFR 4-12 scopes with the obvious addition of M1's on one. I wish it had more elevation but 200 yards can be reached as is.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one I want hasn't been made (yet):

Scaled down Kimber Montana in .22LR.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,391
Posts18,506,846
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.