-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk Hunting in the Red Zone just east of Mt Saint Helens near Pinto Rock a partner and I are walking down a Forest Service Road a deer enters the road from the left side, walks down the away from us and exits the road to the downhill side, about five minutes later a cougar enters the road about where the deer had entered the road followed the deer's trail down the road and exited the road about where the deer went down hill. Niether the deer or the cougar ever acted like they saw us.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
before camera pnones of course,a buddy and myself were turkey hunting "late May" NYS 1985 ish we were driving in some state land and came upon a vehicle pulled over,as we slowly approached,a dude taking nudie pics of 2 blonde twins,buck naked out in the woods.Needless to say we turned around and drove back,got another peek and it kinda spooked them and they threw on robes and jumped back in the car.We bought every Playboy/Hustler for about 2 months hoping to "relive "that one but never found the issue,,odd but true

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by NathanL
Hunting in SW Arkansas about 30 years ago in an old baker tree stand in a too small pine tree along a power line. An A-10 comes in right at treetop level and then turns down the powerline. I felt my tree whipping before I saw or heard the plane.

I'm guessing it was out of England Air Force base out of Alexandria LA.

It really got my attention and cured me of hunting of out whippy trees.

The A-10 was probably with the reserve unit at Barksdale. They buzzed SW Arkansas often.I hunted there for 32 years.

If there were F-16s, C-130s, and helos around also, you could bet we were about to go to war with someone.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Our landowner was a drunk. We would be in our deer blinds and he was kind enough to ask us us if he could drop by our camp and help him self to a six pack. He said he could help him self and we didn't need to leave our blinds. We were stupid enough to stay there another year. This place was south of Cross Plains, Texas and north of Brownwood.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by usull
Drover : I had to find Jordan on my Map . This was a long time ago and I think it was maybe 60 miles NW of Jordan . The old Dude shows me his big Gold Plated Belt Buckle and asks me if I know what it is . To tell the truth I was looking a lot more at his "Spotter" ! Anyway , he pops the Buckle apart and it hides a knife . Remember , this is a long time ago , and he then tells me the Airport personnel asked him if he had any weapons . He shows them the Knife Buckle , and says he was immediately arrested . He chuckled , and said it cost him something like $2000 in Lawyers Fees to beat that one . Apparently he shipped the truck ahead or had it stored somewhere in the area . Some interesting people out there .

I lived near there for quite a few years before coming back to Idaho. The locals always said that one of the bigger places in the area was a "cooling off place" for some of the folks from Nevada that needed to leave town for a while. I saw enough strange folks in the area from time to time that I have no reason to doubt it. IIRC the property was owned by Binions but this late in life I would not swear that my memory is 100% correct on the ownership.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I think the weirdest thing I heard was what I believe was a helicopter . It was so loud it shook the earth but we never saw it. This was on 9/13/2001. I wonder if the United States has stuff we don't know about, but what on earth would it be doing on the Price / Sawyer co. line in northern Wis? We didn't see a bear that evening neither. Gov. even screwing up our bear hunts.

Last edited by ihookem; 03/29/14.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
On the last day of grouse season several years I heard something coming down the ridge real fast. I froze, looked up and out of the laurel a deer was headed straight at me,like 6-8 feet at full speed. I flinched and she juked to the right. I immediately heard a loud pop like a rifle going off. She laid about 5 feet away quivering. She had hit a sapling and apparently snapped her neck. Better her than me.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Did ya get the dnr to tag it?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The oddest thing I ever saw out in the woods was an airplane propeller, out in the middle of the woods in central Pa. The blades were twisted up, and one was missing. It must have come down through the trees, but I couldn't see any recent scars on the nearby trees. It had obviously been laying there for quite a while, and there were no local stories about a plane going down there.

Last edited by gophergunner; 03/29/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nathan. Betting it was Barksdale on that A-10.

I was turkey hunting a friends farm when 2 lesbians drove by on a 4-wheler and then stopped and began to "play" on the 4-wheeler. Never did get a turkey that day.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I saw a young mountain lion while bowhunting here in eastern NE 20+ years ago which, in my area, was very unusual. They're still very scarce but sightings are more common now.

That being said, the most unusual thing I ever saw was an albino doe while scouting for deer with my son. I feel very fortunate that he was able to see it with me because it was such a rare/special occurrence. Here's a pic we shot....
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We were coyote hunting in Arizona years back when two F-15's were chasing each other through nearby canyons and over the flats about 150-200 feet off the deck. Some folks said they were probably from Luke (?) Air Force base. Like the other poster, we could easily see the pilots. Cool stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Boulder likely deposited there by glacial activity.

The Missoula floods also floated ice encased rocks well up onto what is now dry land. Truck sized rocks from Montana can be found well up the Deshcutes and Williamette draiages in Oregon.

Glacially moved rocks are typically smooth wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I once came around a bend in the Yukon river and was greeted by a dozen naked German men smiling and waving at me! Haha, a sure way to spice up a moose hunt.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No F-15s or A-10s, but I've been buzzed by B-52s flying napoftheearth more than once in northern MO. Both times I could see the pilots, they were THAT low. I'd guess they were out of Omaha, but dunno for sure. Once I was about four miles east of Dad's place, and the other time, I was only a couple hundred yards from the house. It's pretty sparsely populated there, so they liked to fly that area a lot.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
B-52s are common here though they usually don't fly low unless its duck season and they're checking the lakes.

Wasn't hunting. I was driving I-20 west bound when I saw a B-17 taking off from Barksdale last year.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My brother and I were fishing a big creek when a naked guy walks up a sand bar just down stream. There were some low hanging branches that kept us from noticing him until he was pretty close. He startled us, and from his reaction we really scared him too. He takes of running and busts his azz when he hit the first deep spot. Too bad it wasen't a chick! It turned out to be a guy that was coaching little league with a buddy of mine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe not so unusual, but a first for me,
walking back to my favorite squirrel patch through the woods on a farm path. NE ohio, Geauga country, heard some music. Then the buggy. Typical Amish family size, rockin to the beat. Slip on it an spy pink azzes. I go about 100 yds in and let a load of 12 ga 7s over their heads.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[quote=Rock Chuck]
How about this blob of what appears to be lava, sitting on a ridge a good 50 miles from the nearest volcanic activity? It's about 6 ft high and is almost spherical. Whatever exploded must have been a big one to throw this thing to where it is. It must have cooled in the air to retain this shape. It's located in the high mountains about 20 miles north of Sun Valley, ID.[quote]

Rock Chuck, Given the general location you mention I would think it probably came out of the Twin Peaks volcanic explosion just north of Challis. It supposedly occurred about 10,000 years ago and in a straight line is not all that far away.

Is it on the Copper Basin (Lost River)side of the mountains or on the Wood River side? If you recall the drainage would you mind PM-ing it to me, I would really like to try to find it.

Thanks, drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing that comes back to me is about 25 years ago I was out in the woods and walked up on a small (2 foot )or so oval that had been cleared of leaves and sticks.
In the middle were 2 terrapin turtles with one reared up on the back of rhe other one(Mating?).

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.