Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If all Remington hammer forged barrels were as good as the one on my 5R Milspec, then 700 users would really be in high cotton.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The method of shimming is by far one of the best diagnostic tools prior to making any permanent changes to the stock. In fact, my Sako HB Varmint still has the thin plastic shims in the stock after 20 some years. Still shoots very accurately and will stay there.

I shimmed my Model 7 to see if bedding would help, then went out and shot a 1/2" group.

I haven't taken it back apart and that's been about 30 years now

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are the Forbes rifles Bedded compared to a NULA?

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The same.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John: Don't think I recall saying hammer forged barrels were bad. I have owned quite a few, from Winchester, Remington, and Ruger.

But IME experience, they have generally done better if they were floated.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could someone describe in some detail "shimming" the action? I'd like to try this.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

What I have always used is a piece of plastic about the thickness of a business card. I cut it to fit the shape of the tang and on the area behind the recoil lug Cut the shim to the width of the action and cut a hole for the size of the front guard screw. Do the same in the back. This should raise your action up enough to clear any high spots in the middle of the action.

It also clears the barrel from the stock. If it still does not clear, add another thickness of the business card. This should clear your action/barrel without any stress.Note, if using paper shims, remember they are temporary.

Normally, a gun that won't shoot floating could have some problems with the threads in the receiver not matching up closely with the barrel. Some smiths suggest the barrel is being held by only one tight fitting thread. I have a SS Remington 700 that will not shoot a decent group without upward pressure on the barrel (204), but shoots sub minute with pressure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
Could someone describe in some detail "shimming" the action? I'd like to try this.

Put a piece of credit card or that plastic thing that keeps bread bags closed between the receiver and the stock. Then snug things up, and shoot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bedded two Zastavas. One a stainless synthetic and the other a blued version in a Boyds Walnut.

Apart from tightening the groups it produced another benefit: When shooting different loads that pre-floating-and-bedding would print up to 5 inches apart those points of impact are now much closer.

Eg my 90g Sierra loads in my 270 used to be 4 inches low and about 2 inches to the right of my 130g and 150g loads. Now they are only about 1.5 inches low and half an inch right. Close enough to use in a pinch without adjusting the scope. And I hate messing with my zero.

A weird side effect that I didn't anticipate but am very happy with.

Okay guys and gals,

I am in the middle of upgrading the only rifle I own; a .270 Weatherby L/A. A Timney trigger is about to land at my door step. It still has the factory stock which is not bedded/free-floated and I am considering another investment into a B/C Medalist aftermarket stock which is aluminum pillar bedded. It will cost another $300.00 bucks. Is it worth the money to upgrade or invest into another rifle? It shoots great with Hornady's Superformance 130 gr SST and has killed effectively for me.

So do I tinker with it or leave it as is with the new trigger?
As always, I am open to input.

"Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine."
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If the factory stock is wood there's the potential for a point if impact shift, which the B&C would prevent. If the factory stock is synthetic, and the rifle shoots great, why make the change?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by denton
Here's your basic contrarian opinion: It doesn't help, at least in the way you think it does.

I do bed the action (bedding? action?? doesn't sound proper) on my better rifles. What I think that does do is make it so that when the action is removed from the stock, then put back in, you get the same POI as you had before. That's a very good thing.

In my experience, I've never had it make a rifle shoot smaller groups. Harold Vaughn, who wrote Rifle Accuracy Facts, said that was his finding as well.

It might very well reduce long term POI drift as a wood stock dries and humidifies, but I don't thing it gets you smaller groups if the rifle is already properly mounted in its stock.

Now floating the barrel is a different story. And that is commonly part of a bedding job. A tiny barrel rub, that you can barely sense with a dollar bill, will make a big difference in group size.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about bedding.. wink

yup....agreed....and Hotcore does too

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never seen a properly bedded rifle shoot worse. And neither has anyone else.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a question- If bedding a rifle is such an involved, complicated endeavor, why have I been able to walk into a gun store, buy off the rack Tikkas for little more than the cost of a rebarrel job, stuff the first decent reload I had laying around, (no thought given to seating depth, distance to lands,etc) and go to the range and shoot groups that were as small as could be expected from a hunting weight rifle/scope?
I did that with a Tikka in 204 which shot 0.6 inch groups, a 223 that shot 1 1/2 groups at 300 yards, a 243 that shoots about 3/4 inch, a 30/06 that shot under an inch and brutalized my shoulder. And I have seen other Tikkas do the same thing.
Inquiring minds want to know...

Fred

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fred�just imagine, if you will, how much better those tikkas would have shot had you bedded them!

The mind boggles�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Royce
I have a question- If bedding a rifle is such an involved, complicated endeavor, why have I been able to walk into a gun store, buy off the rack Tikkas for little more than the cost of a rebarrel job, stuff the first decent reload I had laying around, (no thought given to seating depth, distance to lands,etc) and go to the range and shoot groups that were as small as could be expected from a hunting weight rifle/scope?
I did that with a Tikka in 204 which shot 0.6 inch groups, a 223 that shot 1 1/2 groups at 300 yards, a 243 that shoots about 3/4 inch, a 30/06 that shot under an inch and brutalized my shoulder. And I have seen other Tikkas do the same thing.

Fred

Tikka's and Savage's shoot well because God favors the poor.

This concludes your Sunday morning sermon.

Happy Easter,
Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Fred

Fred: It's because if you aren't wedded to old designs,throw the old rule book out,start from scratch,you can design a "new" rifle and action that eliminates the flaws of past systems.

Using modern manufacturing techniques and equipment,it can come from the factory bedded stress free,with a good barrel and everything aligned properly. Manufacturers have figured out how do the things that help rifles shoot well and make it cheaply.You can also seel it just as cheaply and still cut a profit.

Things like the Tika are a perfect example,and seems like the Ruger American is following suit.

You couldn't beg nor buy something like these or a Kimber Montana years back,although the Remington 700 is, itself, an early harbinger of just exactly this approach to building rifles....you might say it got pretty popular. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If GAWD favors the poor, then why in hell are we poor to begin with???? Huh? Huh???

Last edited by Royce; 03/30/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In one of Jim Carmichel's books he wondered why so many shooters re-bed every factory rifle they buy without shooting it first. He doesn't--and he knows a thing or two about accuracy.

In one of my books I told the story of a Famous Accuracy Riflesmith (FAR) who traveled to Wyoming some years ago to shoot prairie dogs with Dave Talley, who then still had his shop in Glenrock. When they went to check the zero on the FAR's .223, the expensive Famous Accuracy Trigger (which has 60+ tiny parts) broke. There were no other super-triggers around, so they went to the little shooting store in Glenrock and the FAR bought a Savage .223, and some bases to fit the rings on his Swarovski scope.

They switched the scope at Dave's shop, and went back to the range with the .223 handloads the FAR had worked up for his rifle, which at the time sold for around $5000. They shot just as well in the Savage, and the FAR turned to Dave and said: "Don't you EVER tell anybody." Of course, Dave told me (and probably some others) as soon as he got a chance, but I have never revealed the name of the FAR--well, except to a few people, in private.

I don't know if Tikkas were around in those days, and I never saw any in the Glenrock store anyway. Certainly Ruger Americans weren't, but the same principle would apply to Tikkas and Americans. In fact I've had a couple of other FAR's ask me not to spread the word about how well many factory rifles shoot these days without any dinking around, so you didn't read it here.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If GAWD favors the poor, then why in hell are we poor to begin with???? Huh? Huh???

So he can favor you.

Duh.

Travis

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (25aught6, 22kHornet, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 65 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,466
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.