Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What you are doing is rating bullets on your own "wish list" of bullet performance. The problem critters die from destroyed tissue and the resulting drop in blood pressure, not perfect mushrooms or two holes. Fine by me if that's what your into. I am into killing critters and right now.
Then you denigrate a bullet with a 60+ year track record as one of the best and most reliable game killers made. This speaks volumes.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So, The OP is "limited to Factory loads right now" I'd bet He's felt really left out for about the last 6 pages of this thread !

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
So, The OP is "limited to Factory loads right now" I'd bet He's felt really left out for about the last 6 pages of this thread !

Are there not factory loaded BT's, Tsx, TTSX, Accubonds, partitions and other cup/core bullets available for the 300 win mag?

Dink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
A hematoma around the bullet hole.. If I shot it in the guts as you suggest how do you figure the lungs had a hematoma on them... Genius.

I posted your picture of the lungs in question and there is simply no hole in them get a flicking grip and admit that your shot missed the lungs.

I shot this deer and I also missed the heart and lungs. They were not damaged.

Bullet entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

Deer ran, but was easily recovered. I admit that because the deer was angled more than I thought I placed the shot incorrectly to hit the heart and/or lungs. I realized my error when I dressed out the deer. You should admit your error.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fairly sure you can find all the above in factory... you could at one point in 300 wtby for sure....

Bwalker

Which one has a 60 year history, simply curious. Partition? I"ll tell you, why don't you just ask JB, he'll tell you a 200 is fine, but a 180 is frangible. Just how it goes. Run a 200 partition, in a 300 mag and I'd be fine. But like I said, I found something that makes me even happier than that.

I"ll continue to strive for 2 holes and no risk.

But if I ever knew that a bullet could make it FOR SURE through any angle, bones and any distance shot at, and expend all its energy inside the animal, I could probably forgo the 2nd hole, though it always makes for better blood trail.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No dog in this fight, but my elk hunting partner has been using a Post 64 300 Win Mag since 65 I think. He has used the same load of 4350 and 180 PT's to take alot of elk since then, hunting between Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon and Washington since then. This past Fall after getting back to camp, he pulled an old pill bottle out of one of the drawers and showed me about 7 PT's he and his father recovered (father shot a 300WBY) from elk. I have no idea the number of elk taken since 65, but is alot and to only recover 7 is pretty good stuff. Every one of the bullets looked almost perfect, probably better than a water jug recovered PT. In his records, all elk were taken between 30 and 570 yards. Most all of them blow right on thru and leave a dead elk in their wake. I never doubted the 180 PT in a 300 Win, but after seeing and thinking about that, it really does lend itself to being a hard to beat combo.

I realize weird things happen out in the hunting fields every Fall, but I would bet a 180 PT stopping inside a deer is the exception and not the rule.

As for the OP, hopefully he has found a load to try out of his rifle. Plenty of great options with the Federal, Winchester, etc. Most all of them should be more than capable of handling elk..

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elk killing threads are always entertaining.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To the OP, Go enjoy your hunt with the blue box shells, with the .300 win mag. and 180 gr. bullets being almost the benchmark for elk hunting , you will be fine. Most people would be surprised at how many of the locals here kill elk with .243 and 25-06 factory loaded cup and core bullets. Not to mention .270s with 130s....................

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by nitrosonic

Are there not factory loaded BT's, Tsx, TTSX, Accubonds, partitions and other cup/core bullets available for the 300 win mag?

Dink

Yeah good point! That doesn't sound too "limiting" to me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
No dog in this fight, but my elk hunting partner has been using a Post 64 300 Win Mag since 65 I think. He has used the same load of 4350 and 180 PT's to take alot of elk since then, hunting between Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon and Washington since then. This past Fall after getting back to camp, he pulled an old pill bottle out of one of the drawers and showed me about 7 PT's he and his father recovered (father shot a 300WBY) from elk. I have no idea the number of elk taken since 65, but is alot and to only recover 7 is pretty good stuff. Every one of the bullets looked almost perfect, probably better than a water jug recovered PT. In his records, all elk were taken between 30 and 570 yards. Most all of them blow right on thru and leave a dead elk in their wake. I never doubted the 180 PT in a 300 Win, but after seeing and thinking about that, it really does lend itself to being a hard to beat combo.

I realize weird things happen out in the hunting fields every Fall, but I would bet a 180 PT stopping inside a deer is the exception and not the rule.

As for the OP, hopefully he has found a load to try out of his rifle. Plenty of great options with the Federal, Winchester, etc. Most all of them should be more than capable of handling elk..

Im sure stopping in a deer is an exception. Except I"ve yet to stop a barnes bullet in anything that I can recall.

I"m the motto of be prepared. If my once in a lifetime elk comes out quartering hard and about to leave... I want to make sure I can break the front bones, and get to the vitals and all the way through them. Cup and core have failed enough on things smaller than an elk and on some nilgai that for me it just makes sense, when the mono has never been retained, why risk anything else.

Cost certianly isn't a factor and Partitions ain't cheap either. But in teh scheme of things any thing is cheap bullet wise.

About to delve off into subsonic with a 300 whisper on deer and pigs. Pre frag bullets ain't cheap, order of a buck each. But they'll always open even at slow speeds. Who cares about a dollar a piece. I've seen 22lr offered for a dollar a shell too... not that anyone would pay that... but point is cost should never be a consideration. Beyond that I fail to see the down of using a mono bullet and if you need DRT, then just break the bones like some folks do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
180g Nosler Partitions in 300 WM is failsafe IMHO. I have used that bullet to make one shot kills on everything from cow/bull elk to large black bear, mule deer, feral hogs, sheep, etc. at ranges from 20 feet to 300+ yards. Penetration is great, weight retention is great and they knock the snot out of big game animals. My experience outside of that bullet is limited as I've NEVER had a reason to try anything else except a box or two of factory fodder when I did not or could not get my Nosler Partitions� but those killed just as well. Make a good first shot and it likely won't matter.

Foxx...

God Bless America!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
A hematoma around the bullet hole.. If I shot it in the guts as you suggest how do you figure the lungs had a hematoma on them... Genius.

I posted your picture of the lungs in question and there is simply no hole in them get a flicking grip and admit that your shot missed the lungs.

Bullet entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

Deer ran, but was easily recovered. I admit that because the deer was angled more than I thought I placed the shot incorrectly to hit the heart and/or lungs. I realized my error when I dressed out the deer. You should admit your error.

The only problem is thats not what happened at all. The deer was double lunged..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Fairly sure you can find all the above in factory... you could at one point in 300 wtby for sure....

Bwalker

Which one has a 60 year history, simply curious. Partition? I"ll tell you, why don't you just ask JB, he'll tell you a 200 is fine, but a 180 is frangible. Just how it goes. Run a 200 partition, in a 300 mag and I'd be fine. But like I said, I found something that makes me even happier than that.

I"ll continue to strive for 2 holes and no risk.

But if I ever knew that a bullet could make it FOR SURE through any angle, bones and any distance shot at, and expend all its energy inside the animal, I could probably forgo the 2nd hole, though it always makes for better blood trail.

The front half of the partition was designed to be frangible because that leads to quick kills without the Barnes sprint. The flat work and are one of the deepest penetrating bullets made.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by beretzs

Im sure stopping in a deer is an exception. Except I"ve yet to stop a barnes bullet in anything that I can recall.

I"m the motto of be prepared. If my once in a lifetime elk comes out quartering hard and about to leave... I want to make sure I can break the front bones, and get to the vitals and all the way through them. Cup and core have failed enough on things smaller than an elk and on some nilgai that for me it just makes sense, when the mono has never been retained, why risk anything else.

Cost certianly isn't a factor and Partitions ain't cheap either. But in teh scheme of things any thing is cheap bullet wise.

About to delve off into subsonic with a 300 whisper on deer and pigs. Pre frag bullets ain't cheap, order of a buck each. But they'll always open even at slow speeds. Who cares about a dollar a piece. I've seen 22lr offered for a dollar a shell too... not that anyone would pay that... but point is cost should never be a consideration. Beyond that I fail to see the down of using a mono bullet and if you need DRT, then just break the bones like some folks do.

If I had to shoot an animal in the azz I wold go for breaking its pelvic girdle to set myself up for a follow up shot. Shooting for the front end from the rear end is pretty dicey for alot of reasons.Of course I might just hold off the trigger rather than took a crap shoot of a shot.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/26/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bullet entrance

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

The only problem is thats not what happened at all. The deer was double lunged..

No your deer was not double lunged, your own picture of the lungs proves you miissed the lungs. Geez.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, it was.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your picture of the heart and lungs of the deer in question.

[Linked Image]

There is no double lung shot and that is the picture that you took

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There absolutley was.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your picture of the heart and lungs of the deer in question.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only piece of relevant info one can derive from this picture - IMO anyway- is that the ribcage was compromised seriously enough, either through a large hole in the ribs, or through the diaphragm, or both. This caused the lungs to lose the ability to re-inflate. (A hole through the lungs does not usually cause them to deflate in their entirety unless the damage is massive.) The animal in question might easily have been double lunged but it was inability to re-inflate those lungs that caused it to die most likely. IOW it suffocated.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.