Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Any info on Elk Hunting unit 54 in Colorado for the 2014 season. I know this is draw only but hear our chances will be pretty good as we will be bowhunting.We will be backpacking it in and no this is not our 1st Elk hunt, just 1st time to this area. Have been told to head up Ohio Creek road and go in at Swampy Pass Trailhead and head West about 7 to 8 miles. Any other input on this area would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you head 7-8 miles west you will be in unit 53 or darn close to it. A lot of dark down timber right before that. Going that far back in and you get to the edge of 54, and you shoot something, there would be a good chance of it making into 53 ,then you are sorta screwed.

I'd go in from Mill Creek TH and head towards Storm Mtn Pass in the archery season to get to 12K ft elevation. That is a heck of a climb though and along pack out for meat. The first location you mentioned would be too. It would not be my first or second choice to hunt.

There are easier areas to get into. Might think about going over Ohio Pass and hunt the north side. You get higher quicker, but you can't pull a trailer over that. You would need to go around thru Crested Butte. That would put you on the very edge of 54 so you have to be careful where you go.

If next year is like the last, early on had a long dry spell with monsoons coming in Sept, keeping a lot of the elk up high.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/03/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There are always elk in the West Elk Creek Gorge. But you better be young, strong and in good shape if you are going to hunt in there because the terrain is real tough. That's why the elk are there. I suggest that you rent horses from Ferros Blue Mesa Trading Post and camp by the creek in the bottom of the canyon so you can drag the elk downhill once you've shot it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

There are always elk in the West Elk Creek Gorge. But you better be young, strong and in good shape if you are going to hunt in there because the terrain is real tough. That's why the elk are there. I suggest that you rent horses from Ferros Blue Mesa Trading Post and camp by the creek in the bottom of the canyon so you can drag the elk downhill once you've shot it.

KC

This is really good advice. Having been in the gorge, there are areas you can't get to. Getting an elk out of there is another trick.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Start on the treadmill pronto.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crbaughman
Have been told to head up Ohio Creek road and go in at Swampy Pass Trailhead and head West about 7 to 8 miles. Any other input on this area would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

If you head west for 7 or 8 miles from the Swampy Pass trailhead you will be sitting right on top of Tenderfoot Outfitters big base camp and you will be surrounded by their hunters. If you go too far you will be into unit 53. Not my first choice for a place to hunt.

saddlesore mentioned the basin above Mill Creek. That's a good place for archers most years. I scout through the upper basins every year, including Mill Creek Basin. There's usually a herd of elk in every high basin during late August. But last year there wasn't any there. I think the spring rains didn't materialize or were too late and the elk never went up high.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks fo all the input, now after all that is there anyone around that unit that can take us back in on horse or mules? Still want the DYI hunt but to save time on hours on foot and to save the body and soul we would like to talk to someone who can pack us back in there.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Fred Stinson of Tenderfoot Outfitters does drop camps. There are not too many outfits that do just the pack in. There isn't any money in that. At times you might find an unregistered nonprofessional outfitter that does it, but you need to stay away from those types

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you saddlesore, you are very knowledgable about this area and I thank you for all your input. I have two buddy's of mine that have hunted this area for several years, the Pickle brothers also from Indiana and have had pretty good success. Hopefully with all the input I have gotten from everyone my bro and I can put some elk in the freezer, tag soup is starting to get old, lol!!
First we must get drawn for this area!!
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crbaughman
First we must get drawn for this area!!
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

crbaughman:

Hunt code E-E-054-O1-A had leftover licenses last year, so you ought to be able to draw a tag this year with zero points.

I suggest that you backpack up into Mill Creek on August 29 and setup a stealth camp (quiet, no fire, no stove) just below the highest trees. That's about half a mile above the "headwall". There are a couple of good camp spots. You'll spot the headwall when the trail cuts across a nearly vertical cliff. Don't let them see you above the highest trees. Then, about three hours before the sun rises on opening morning, creep up into the upper basin and you might literally catch them napping out in the open. This strategy would also work in the upper basins of Beaver Creek and South Castle Creek, but Mill Creek is the easiest to access.

KC

IC B3

U
U
I agree with KC on everything, except camping too high unless you put your self in a position where you are sure the elk will not come through the area, and chances are if it is relatively flat for a tent then expect the elk to work through those high spots at night, especially if it is anywhere near their water or grazing area. I saw people do this in the area and spooked the elk clear out of the basin. so I'd suggest camping lower and then getting up early to move into position. I will be hunting unit 54 this year. I have hunted Unit 54 three times and was successfully twice. When this area is dry the hunting can be extremely tough unless you find a favorable water source in the upper elevation. This is very rough terrain and I have seen it turn around many hunters on foot and horse. Unless you are good with horses, leave them behind. I witnessed a couple of horse/mule roll down the mountain. They were all lucky to limp away and make it back out in rough shape! How good of shape or should I just say age are you??

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is a glamour shot of where they are talking about.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
U
U
How has your winter been out there? Just wondering if there has been any winter kill?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its been weird for sure, plenty of snow, I don't think the winter kill has been bad but too early to say.

NRA Life Member
U
U
It has definitely been a long cold winter. I hope there is not too much, it seems as though the Mule deer were starting to make a decent comeback in your area.

I shot a 185" muley there last year.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Supercrewed is that a pic of the Castles?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No, Mill Creek valley.

This is the Castles, not a glamour shot...
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Still great country!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Here is a nice one!
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maybe the same peaks,but a closer view right under them.

[Linked Image]

Turned around 180 degres looking towards the Castles.

[Linked Image]

Looking toward the Castles from near Little Pass Creek. Tenderfoot outfitters has their main camp to the left aways.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/04/14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 1_deuce, Akhutr, 79S, 10 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,506
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.