-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any time bro. The Williams unit I have on my 280 Ackley is beautifully made and solid as a rock, but it is no light weight. The McMillan unit appears to be close to identical and knowing McMillan, it's a safe bet that they are very high quality. I bugged Williams a few times about making their unit out of aluminum but for some reason they don't want to. I think they'd sell a bunch to custom builders especially the ones selling high end "sheep rifles". The only other high quality oberndorf style maker is Sunny Hill and their unit in aluminum is around $350 or slightly more perhaps. Of course you could have an Echols aluminum job for $600. McMillan's unit is made for them by an outside source, but I don't know who and they wouldn't say.

GB1

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gene- Bansner pretty much told him that they were to busy building their own stuff on their own actions to take anything on from the outside at the moment, at least that was the impression Mark left with him. I like Mark and recommended him as I have 2 pieces of his work.

RD- The sunny hill is nice I have that on my 300wm. I don't know if he's gonna be up for the price of admission for the Echols though. LOL

I Kill Things......deal with it..
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
check with mastercalssstocks.com Alex is top notch and uses bansner stocks look at his work on the web site

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call Karl Feldkamp about your barrel flute. He has done several #3 contour barrels for me and others. Karl is pretty much the guru of barrel fluting and will do a great job for you & a quick turn-around time.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by wildone

He also can't find anyone that will flute a #3 any ideas?

Dean, are you inquiring about barrel manufacturer that will flute a #3 or a third-party that will do fluting to the barrel?

I spoke with Benchmark this week about a fluted #3 contour and they will do it. The said the contour would be the same as Lilja's and to use that spec when I order my stock from McMillan.

IC B2

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We just found the same thing out on friday. He called them , what kind of number did they give you for that if you don't mind me asking ?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scott, he has called lilja , and hart and they won't do it on a number 3 at the factory. His next option is to see if he can have a 3rd party do it . I was thinking of asking Nate or Karl to put some shallow flutes in it . He wants to do a 2 tone cerakote job on the bbl.

That's odd - I have a factory fluted #3 contour Hart 7mm barrel in the closet. Received late Feb of last year, ordererd for a project that has been temporarily postponed....

[Linked Image]

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone have experience with fluting a Broughton 5c after finished?

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can- that is odd. He has done a few barrel jobs with Hart in the past like 3 or 4 I think so he's a known customer up there . Thats real strange . Hart was the first guy he called and he told him he wouldn't do it. I'll have to get him to call them again and see what's up with that. Are you selling that BBL?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Broughton #3.1 25-06 that Karl spiral fluted for me. It is the rifle I will grab if I KNOW I am going to have a long shot. Very accurate!

IC B3

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can- he just called Karen again and she said she wont do a # 3 fluted are you sure its a 3 and not a 4 contour he will do a 4 ? If its .65 at the muzzle its a 4

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can- he just called Karen again and she said she wont do a # 3 fluted are you sure its a 3 and not a 4 contour he will do a 4 ? If its .65 at the muzzle its a 4

I'm sure just double checked the invoice. Wasn't really looking to sell - a good barrel in the closet will get used eventually... I'm not sure it would be suitable for your build anyway - I was planning on sticking it on my Rem model 7 in an Edge stock and wasn't sure if I wanted 21 or 22" barrel.

The flutes are only cut to where they would be 1" from the end on a 21" barrel, 2" on a 22" barrel. I'm betting you are wanting a longer barrel on your 280AI and it might look like a Kimber Longmaster barrel. Maybe the shorter length of the flutes was the reason they were willing for me?

I sent you a pm.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scott, he has called lilja , and hart and they won't do it on a number 3 at the factory. His next option is to see if he can have a 3rd party do it . I was thinking of asking Nate or Karl to put some shallow flutes in it . He wants to do a 2 tone cerakote job on the bbl.

Dean, I talked to Nate a couple of days ago and inquired for you - he's fluted #2's in the past (and will continue to do so) but mentioned the flutes are obviously more shallow than a heavier contoured tube.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thats gtk Scott thanks for asking . Thats all he's looking for anyway just for cosmetics, He wants to 2 tone it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a Bartlein 2.5 contour barrel in stock. Most reputable smith's can do a fluting job for ya if you just have to have it done.
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_89_93&product_id=511

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.