Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
JonS, that sounds like a miserably cold ride!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Redneck... you're totally correct about being prepared. I had my "medium" insulated jacket and lined chaps, which were comfortable down to 60 or so, but just a tad light when it dipped into the 50's. Putting on a hoodie and switching to my insulated gloves made me completely comfortable for the 50 miles from Lawton to Wichita Falls Saturday afternoon. I'm glad I always ride with a set of light rain gear in the saddlebags, Sunday's ride would've been impossible without it. But the insulated gloves were useless in 5 minutes once they got wet. From now on I'll always pack along the rubberized work gloves I bought yesterday!

And I've always wanted to see the big rally at Sturgis. Gonna have to start planning.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I've always liked the looks of that model Aero. The 2 into one exhaust and the wide white walls really set it off.

Honda's styling dept did a good job when they drew that one up.

Thanks, Bristoe. Spoken like a true bike-o-phile!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
in arizona, i live in a land of contrasts. You can be burning up on the desert, freezing your butt off in the north. Shortly after i bought my wing, i got a electric vest/coat to go under my riding jacket. It has extensions for gloves, pants, and socks if needed. The vest by itself has worked for me, has a thermostat and wires into the battery. I have riden in 30degree weather perfectly warm.
one other thing that i found that works for me. Lot of problem with the cold is that wind blast at speed. Got a set of the rayon type exercise jogging pants to put over everthing else. Keeping that wind off of you really helps, with the warm stuff underneath the exercise pants.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/07/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Doc.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice scoot, Doc.

Glad ya got it home in one piece!

As to weather changes......I used to ride over Trail Ridge Road in Colorado about once a week when it was open. It's a quick ride up top, but damn, it can get squirrelly quick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks more like a Harley than most Harleys. I can see why they got upset with Honda.

Its tough to stay warm when you're riding in the rain. I rode all the way across Wisconsin in a drizzle one September day. Didn't think I would ever get warm again.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Doc, you must really love that bike to ride in such horrible weather.

Congrats on the new (old) bike!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Doc, glad you're on a bike again. i love fly and rides. now that you're home, you have a story you wouldn't have if everything went perfect.

stay safe, and keep the painted side up, keith

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doc, congrats on a great bike. Love those Aero's.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good for you and congratulations !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on the new bike Doc. I bought a new to me HD last fall, 03 Road King with 780 miles. Now I have to learn how to ride it.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doc...Doc, please don't tell me you picked it up Saturday and didn't go to the gunshow. Frick the Wannamacher's show was last weekend. Biggest in the world. Surely not.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
EE... I didn't know! I woulda gone if I'd known! I had to fly with carry-on only, so was unarmed the whole trip, which is something I really don't care to experience. If I'd known of the gunshow, I'm sure I'd have been able to correct that problem...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reminds me of the time I rode my 70 Ninja from San Antonio to EL Paso in 40 degree drizzle. On the bike in full leathers under raingear to break the wind weren't all that bad, what with winter gloves on and all.

But when I stopped for gas in Sheffield nothing worked, my hands couldn't unbuckle my helmet, I couldn't feel my face and couldn't talk grin

Of course there was a woman waiting in EL Paso so it was worth it, got snowed in over by Ruidoso later that same trip, me two hours to wrestle the bike a mile back to pavement.

Anyhoo, congrats on the bike, now you'll be able to do that August Ft. Lancaster cruise we was talking about a few years back grin

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great bike! Congrats and keep the shiny side up.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
EE... I didn't know! I woulda gone if I'd known! I had to fly with carry-on only, so was unarmed the whole trip, which is something I really don't care to experience. If I'd known of the gunshow, I'm sure I'd have been able to correct that problem...
It looks to me like you were within about five blocks of it in the pic. lol

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Anyhoo, congrats on the bike, now you'll be able to do that August Ft. Lancaster cruise we was talking about a few years back grin

Birdwatcher

Dang straight, amigo! Although I'm not waiting for August, I'm gonna make that run Easter weekend. I know you've become acclimated to the Texas heat in August, I'm not that tough!!

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking bike! The color is way cool!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a new to me HD last fall, 03 Road King with 780 miles. Now I have to learn how to ride it.

Uh oh, not liking the sound of this. Motorcycle fatalities around here generally fall into two categories; #1 is all the guys in their twenties doing stupid stuff on sport bikes, would be teens too but typically ya gotta have an income to buy and insure the bike. #2 is older guys on big cruisers who just got back on or who never rode before.

In either case it ain't in the first couple of months, its after they get comfortable with it.

Who has the lowest fatality rate are lifelong riders who cut their teeth on dirt bikes.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,549 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,504
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.