Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
How and where can I learn to set up an off the grid system. I'm talking small scale---just enough to run my pellet stove and or my propane furnace. Pellet stove is 200-400 watts and propane furnace should be less than 1000W. Thanks, Mark.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tons of information on the Internet & numerous magazine articles & books at your library. Backwoodsman & Backswoods Home Magazines are two to start with.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Read the fine print on the wind turbines. I looked at a small one a while back. In tiny lettering they said that to get the rated wattage you needed a 24 mph sustained wind. That's a lot of wind.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by birddog65
How and where can I learn to set up an off the grid system. I'm talking small scale---just enough to run my pellet stove and or my propane furnace. Pellet stove is 200-400 watts and propane furnace should be less than 1000W. Thanks, Mark.

How do you pump your Water ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Unless you live in the plains states, solar-12v battery system would probably be the best. What about a refrigerator? A lot of people buy 12 volt RV stuff. You can store propane for a long time, so a propane generator (I have one 10,000 watts) can almost run your entire house.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a good place to get info from, the guy knows his stuff.

A combination of the two is usually best.

link

Last edited by 12344mag; 04/07/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Solar isnt worth a dang here in the winter. A month or more of inversion, which also brings little to no wind would have a guy hurtin if he was dependent on it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with a combination of the two being best, but I'd still want a generator option. 12vdc stuff for RV's and switching lighting to led's is key to keeping load down but some stuff has a big draw.

If you set up a battery bank, inverter, and split loads 12vdc and 110 you'll be better off than running all 110vac. In my area a outdoor furnance with radiant heat floors is highly thought of. I've been wondering how hard it would be to set up a steam generator with the condensate being used to heat before returning to process.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We seem to have a regional "energy fair" on an annual basis here in the PNW. Folks show up and discuss/present designs and equipment with a ton of vendors around too.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you need four sources of power, a generator, batteries windmill and solar panels. You set it up to charge your storage batteries and the batteries powers your home. How big a system you will need will depend where you are and how big your home is going to be? The place I lived in when I worked in AK, was set up that way. but it was a 180sf cabin- that was purposely built to not need much to heat, I heated with wood. The Battery house had just six lead acid batteries and it ran the place well most weeks the generator would run for maybe 4 to 6 hours in Winter and maybe 2 hours in summer. Making your own power is not cheap on a KWH basis. There are people that build these sort of systems. Plan on spending some money.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have propane (extra tanks) and a generator. I just want something to run the low wattage heat stoves without firing up a generator and burning up my propane just to run a 300 watt pellet stove. Thanks to all replies.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Big Nate,
The condensate needs to be fairly hot before it is returned to the boiler or you'll end up with thermal shock to your boiler.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 8 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.