Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone else catch this? The player from UCONN claiming that college athletes should be able to unionize because the school sells their jerseys while they go to bed hungry? I guess his scholarship didn't come with a meal plan at the dining hall? GMAFB

"Hungry Nights"

UConn�s Napier: �We do have hungry nights�

By: JACQUELINE RABE THOMAS | April 7, 2014View as "Clean Read"

Shabazz Napier, point guard for The University of Connecticut's men's basketball team, recently told reporters he understands why athletes at Northwestern need a union, as he sometimes has to go to bed "starving" because he cannot afford food.

"We as student athletes get utilized for what we do so well. We are definitely blessed to get a scholarship to our universities, but at the end of the day, that doesn't cover everything. We do have hungry nights that we don't have enough money to get food and sometimes money is needed," the senior told reporters. "I think, you know, Northwestern has an idea, and we'll see where it goes."

The National Labor Relations Board ruled last month that the football players at Northwestern, a private college, have the right to form the first labor union in college sports.

The NLRB ruling does not empower athletes at public universities like UConn to unionize, as public schools rely on state labor laws for such issues.

State Rep. Patricia Dillon, D-New Haven, said she intends to propose enabling legislation if state law is a barrier to athletes forming unions at public schools in Connecticut.

"We shouldn't be preventing them. They should have that voice," said Dillon, a member of the Connecticut legislature's Higher Education Committee. "If state law is the barrier, then we should remove it. It should be up to the players."

With just over four weeks left in this year's legislative session, Dillon said she hasn't yet decided if her bill will be proposed this year or next.

Napier, who heads into the NCAA Championship match-up against the University of Kentucky tonight, told reporters that it's hard for him to see his jersey getting sold while he struggles to eat.

"To some credit, you feel like you want something in return� Like I said, there are hungry nights that I go to bed and I am starving. So something can change, something should change. But if it doesn't, at the end of the day, we've been doing this for so long, so ...," he said.

A UConn spokesman said in an emailed statement that Napier is provided food.

"Shabazz Napier, like all our scholarship athletes, is provided the maximum meal plan that is allowable under NCAA rules. UConn does not have a cafeteria devoted specifically to student-athletes, but they have access to the same cafeterias which are available to all our students," Phil Chardis said in a statement.

UConn's Student Athlete Handbook outlines that UConn's athletes with a meal plan have access to the all-you-can-eat dining facilities that are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Other athletes and coaches have spoken out about this issue before, including University of Kentucky coach John Calipari in December 2012.

The leader of Connecticut's labor union, Lori J. Pelletier, writes that there is good cause to allow college athletes to unionize.

"Many of these athletes end up injured and no longer have the opportunity for an athletic career. These athletes deserve to be protected from career-ending injuries just as any 'worker' is covered. The ruling by the NLRB will allow for serious discussion on how we treat these performers," the Connecticut AFL-CIO executive secretary treasurer wrote on Facebook in a response to this article.

In 2011, Dillon persuaded legislators to approve a new law requiring public universities to disclose to prospective student athletes what health-care benefits they would receive. Dillon worked on getting that legislation passed into law with Ramogi Huma, the leader of the National College Athletes Players Association, which petitioned the NLRB, leading to Northwestern's football team to be able to form a union.

Dillon said Monday the health and living expenses colleges provide their athletes "is very variable" from school to school.

"Health care is the thing that really bothers me because injuries can really pile up," she said.

An official with the Connecticut State Board of Labor Relations said college athletes at public schools have not yet petitioned the board, seeking a decision on whether they have the right to form a union. It also hasn't been determined if state law permits them to unionize.

Stush
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter tutored football players at Mizzou...some of whom play in the NFL today. They weren't hungry. They were stupid.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
College athletes should be paid. A meal plan isn't going to fully cover the caloric needs of a 18 y/o playing college level sports.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He will go to bed hungry only if he is too lazy to go to the dining hall. I played college football on a full scholarship, and if we wanted seconds, or thirds, or whatever, all we had to do was get up and go to the serving line and get it. College athletes don't go to bed hungry, believe me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

They need moolah for all their tats, not food . . .

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're in an internship for the NBA / NFL / MLB, whatever. An internship that gives them a free education to do something different if the NBA / NFL / MLB doesn't want them.

Cry me a river.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Have paid meal plans changed? At WVU, my son had access to food up until 3am each and every day while school was in session.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
He will go to bed hungry only if he is too lazy to go to the dining hall. I played college football on a full scholarship, and if we wanted seconds, or thirds, or whatever, all we had to do was get up and go to the serving line and get it. College athletes don't go to bed hungry, believe me.

This is absolutely correct. I did the same, only it was baseball and not football. I have zero sympathy for schollyed athletes, nada, and I was one of them. I was eating steaks and drinking protein shakes all day and night, while all the other "underlings" on campus ate spaghettios.....and it saved my parents a cool $100k in the process.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

Unless they are toking a pipe at night, then all kinds of munchies are required!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not for million dollar paychecks for college athletes. But in addition to their scholarships they should be paid the same hourly rate that any other student worker gets for working at on campus job.

They might have a meal plan, but so do all other scholarship students. And there are far more kids going to school on academic scholarships than atheletic. Those kids aren't required to spend any time at all working (unpaid) for the school, and bringing in untold millions to the school in order to get their free rides. Big time colleges bring in as much or more money than any pro franchise, and the players don't cost them a dime. And most colleges make millions on 2-3 sports.

College athletes are used and abused by the schools. More than 50% have no chance to graduate when they enter and the schools know it. They bring them in to play sports, and make money, for the school. It is a goldmine for the schools. When they can't make the grades, or can't perform athletically they cut them loose and bring in someone else. Only a tiny fraction have a chance for the big pro contracts.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most big time Division 1 schools not only have a dining hall but a nutrition center just for althetes that is open 24/7.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
College athletes should be paid. A meal plan isn't going to fully cover the caloric needs of a 18 y/o playing college level sports.

Baloney. Look at the sports nutition centers on campus, special dining halls just for althetes. Not just meals but free choice snacks, muscle milk etc...open 24/7.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i have no first hand knowledge, but i was under the impression that they also receive small ($300 IIRC) monthly stipends.

can anyone verify that?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'm not for million dollar paychecks for college athletes. But in addition to their scholarships they should be paid the same hourly rate that any other student worker gets for working at on campus job.

They might have a meal plan, but so do all other scholarship students. And there are far more kids going to school on academic scholarships than atheletic. Those kids aren't required to spend any time at all working (unpaid) for the school, and bringing in untold millions to the school in order to get their free rides. Big time colleges bring in as much or more money than any pro franchise, and the players don't cost them a dime. And most colleges make millions on 2-3 sports.

College athletes are used and abused by the schools. More than 50% have no chance to graduate when they enter and the schools know it. They bring them in to play sports, and make money, for the school. It is a goldmine for the schools. When they can't make the grades, or can't perform athletically they cut them loose and bring in someone else. Only a tiny fraction have a chance for the big pro contracts.

can you source that information?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calvin

If you have ever seen the training table at any major university, there is absolutely no reason at all for any of these kids to be hungry

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
My daughter tutored football players at Mizzou...some of whom play in the NFL today. They weren't hungry. They were stupid.

Most of them shouldn't have even graduated high school, let alone attend college. They get assigned people to do all their assignments and "help" them with their tests.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Let them unionize. Lets see ; Full boat for four years at lets say $40,000 a year=$160,000. When they find out that it's taxable at about 25 to 27% they might change their mind about forming a union. I can see getting a stipend, but forming a union is non-sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
starving....lol I heard that....I think new tennie runners and gold grills ....are in the union plan to be ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"More than 50% have no chance to graduate when they enter and the schools know it."

I remember a certain major college basketball coach being asked in a press conference how many of his players graduated; he answered, "every one that wants to".
Good answer.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 04/08/14.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If he had been good enough to have been recruited by Kentucky, he would have eaten well.

Kentucky keeps its basketball players well fed.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-kentucky-players-housing/1#.U0RSuFduqSo

So Calipari also understands the impact a video about Kentucky players' housing could have. Especially when it shows off some pretty awesome perks, like comfy recliners in a players' lounge, a pool table and a personal chef.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,773
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.