Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Been thinking about playing around at some longer ranges. I have a couple of scopes with long range dots, a VX-2 and Burris FF-II. I've shot a lot at 300 and under, just a bit at 400, but would like to play around some at 500-600. Doubt if I'd shoot much farther. I don't see me ever shooting at game farther than 300-400, but if I get comfortable at longer ranges maybe. Probably just for fun.

I've never used anything with dials. I've been pleased with both Leupold and Burris and am considering going with a VX-2 CDS or the Burris C4. Looking for advice since this is something I really don' know much about. One concern I have is that the dials really protrude above the scope. Seems like something to get in the way on a hunting rifle carried in rough country. Dots seem more dependable, although probably a little less precise.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My shooting partner and I have started shooting the last 2-3 years at the ranges you mention and a little farther. There is no doubt I prefer dials given the time to use them. This is never a problem at the range, and usually not a problem when we hunt over large bean fields when deer are out feeding. However, there have been a few times when deer were just crossing an area that there wasn't enough time to dial and dots would have been helpful.

As for the dials getting moved while hunting, it does happen. You just need to make sure and re-zero the turrets after sighting in, and then check it before your shot to make sure both turrets are on zero.

A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I went riding around shooting groundhogs. He took a 243 he had been working up loads for, but had yet to re-zero his turrets. Somehow the windage dial got twisted as the rifle was being moved around in the back seat but he didn't have any way to know it because the turrets weren't re-set. He missed several shots that afternoon. It was clear what had happened only when we got back to the house and shot at the 100yd target.

Good luck whichever way you decide. It's fun, but it can get expensive!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They both work. All my buddies love the Nikon BDC. I prefer dialing. My thinking is if you need to use the dots, or any other marks on a reticle, you have time to dial. I am certainly no expert, but it seems like there is less potential for error when dialing.
500 yards and under, either will work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well put TATELAW, out to 500-600 dots work fine for game. It's amazing how close to the trajectory curve most dotted reticles are. As the distance increases or the target gets smaller the ability to precisely dial in the turret is nice (and sometimes critical) Marking your turret or being able to set them at zero helps to see that they haven't gotten moved. At the end of the day knowing the distance is the main thing beyond a certain point.

Golden............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Who needs dials and dots when you have burris eliminator

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
IC B2

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wrongway

People who don't have a spare $800-$1500.

I do have a range finder. Any thoughts on the Burris C4 scope. My FF-II is very close to the VX-2 I own. I own more expensive scopes, but just can't see spending over $400 for a scope anymore. The Zeiss and VX-3's I own aren't enough better to justify the expense to me. A VX-2 with CDS or dots is $350, the Burris C4, $250, the FF-II about $200.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Leupold MK AR mod 1 with the mil dot reticle.

Will get you to the ranges you are describing and well past.

They're around $350.00.

If you like dots and want to try turrets mil/mil is what I would suggest.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrongway, you just blew up a fine discussion with the obvious answer!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im what you would call, smart.

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Leupold MK AR mod 1 with the mil dot reticle.

Will get you to the ranges you are describing and well past.

They're around $350.00.

If you like dots and want to try turrets mil/mil is what I would suggest.

Travis

Thanks for the tip. I've only been looking at hunting scopes, not tactical scopes. I just assumed they would be much more expensive and out of my price range.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Same same. Hunting or tactical it's gonna do the same thing for you.

The MK AR mod 1 is a nice scope. And light.

If you want something similar it would have to be a VX 1 or 2 and have M1's put on. I think Leupold is offering their TMR reticle in an MOA version now, but that will likely be a little pricey by the time you're done.

If you just want to learn, grab the mod 1 in a 3-9X40mm. You'll dig.

Travis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Camera land has a darn nice deal right now on a $550 vortex for about $369.
Has bdc AND zero stop dial. 30mm 4-16. Dang nice for the money...I sure ont need one but am oh so tempted!
Check the optics forum...its the Apr 7 deal of the day.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Practice both. I run a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 on my .30-06. It has the capped small turrets and a mil dot. I put my drop chart inside the rear scope cap with mil's and clicks. Last year I shot my caribou at 402 yards. 1.8 mil's if I remember right (don't quote me on that drop). But if I had the shot on something small at that range I would have dialed distance. I don't have any mil/mil scopes but I would love to try one. Just keep your dope on your rifle somewhere and you can't go wrong. Just remember to chart you dots for different powers as with mine you have to be at 12x for the dots to be mil scale. But nikon is nice enough to put the program online to calculate it all out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right, right. You and Buck McNeely II from Steve's Outdoors Adventures.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Burris Eliminator looks like a pretty effective piece of gear in the right circumstances, but I don't think it offers this level of accuracy from 408 yards, without any sighters...

[Linked Image]

Dots and dialing both have their place. Dots being a bit quicker, and dialing more accurate.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 67 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,624
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.